Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brothers in arms

• 05-10-2008 12:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭

Anyone play this? Would it be a rent or a buy.. Would like a new fps to play around with.. this is one of the only ones out that interests me at the moment.

I have the force unleashed and mercs2 to trade in to gamestop to get it for a tenner(if they dont qualify ill laugh and be like ok goodbye :rolleyes:)

Anyways is it worth it? What's the multiplayer like?

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

Comments

dazftw wrote: »
    Anyone play this? Would it be a rent or a buy.. Would like a new fps to play around with.. this is one of the only ones out that interests me at the moment.

I have the force unleashed and mercs2 to trade in to gamestop to get it for a tenner(if they dont qualify ill laugh and be like ok goodbye :rolleyes:)

Anyways is it worth it? What's the multiplayer like?

not played it yet but plan to, i'm a sucker for WW2 shooters. for the love of god dont trade those games at gamestop, xtravision are way more generous. i would say u would get 70 yoyos credit for those 2 games. in my experience if you return a game which is still in the xtravision top ten then you should get between 35 and 39 euros for it. you'll not get that in gamestop horse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

not played it yet but plan to, i'm a sucker for WW2 shooters. for the love of god dont trade those games at gamestop, xtravision are way more generous. i would say u would get 70 yoyos credit for those 2 games. in my experience if you return a game which is still in the xtravision top ten then you should get between 35 and 39 euros for it. you'll not get that in gamestop horse.

Yea im always telling myself "go to xtravision its way better" but I always find myself going past it on the way to town! Ill actually do it for this now.. Once I finish the force unleashed ill bring them down!

Just listened to the citizen game podcast in work now and danny was talking about the game.. saying some good things so it just makes me want it more.. I just cant keep spending €60 on games theres to many good games that I want coming out so I need to save some money :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Rent it man. Way too much games coming out this month fot you to get stuck into the Multiplayer (Which is really tacked on IMO). Great rental though. Continues the story on well.

FreeOSCAR wrote: »
    Rent it man. Way too much games coming out this month fot you to get stuck into the Multiplayer (Which is really tacked on IMO). Great rental though. Continues the story on well.

Yeah I actually went into two xtravision here in Waterford and none of them had it to rent.. I actaully never played the previous ones afaik I could have played one of them on the pc but im not sure..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭ROC1977

I have it, but haven't played much yet. Real story driven game, I like the look of it. Was a big fan of the last gen Brothers in Arms. But don't expect a COD type game, goz it ain't. More slow paced tactical FPS. But worth checking out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

On the whole it's decent, too many things going against it to warrant being an "essential" purchase. For one, certain elements of the graphics are severely undercooked, as is the A.I on occasion. I haven't tried the multiplayer aspect, but that is supposedly "tacked on" and has no real longevity.

I like the slow-mo action shots you get sometimes, during which you can see limbs being blown off (bit twisted i know, so i must be too ;)) I'm on the last mission now, the game isn't the longest you'll ever play. It's taken me about 6 hours so far. The story and cut scenes are interesting (they'd want to be cos you can't skip them!)

All in all i'd give it a solid 7 out of 10

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,797 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

More a rental than anything. Multiplayer is dreadful and the game is quite short.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

how would it to compare to cod4 for online game play?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,797 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If they made an effort it might have but it's really tacted on. It's not even a diversion it's more of a 'don't bother in all fairness'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I just ordered it on Play-asia as it's region free, hopefully the single player
    side will provide €40 worth of entertainment.

• Advertisement

I just ordered it on Play-asia as it's region free, hopefully the single player
    side will provide €40 worth of entertainment.

WOWZERS. play asia - great tip dude. have you bought much stuff from them? how long for delivery and how much for delivery?? thanks

ROC1977 wrote: »
    But don't expect a COD type game, goz it ain't. More slow paced tactical FPS.

Thats the actual reason im interested in it. You can die pretty easily and you have to use cover sort of thing!

WOWZERS. play asia - great tip dude. have you bought much stuff from them? how long for delivery and how much for delivery?? thanks
    play asia is great cheapest place I've found, and if you pre order you tend to get them delivered a few days before release date. Like I did with Fifa09. Got it 3 days early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

PADRAIC.M wrote: »
    how would it to compare to cod4 for online game play?

It doesnt. But in fairness I can only think of a few games that can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Price is €36.23
    http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-dw-49-en-70-29i6.html
    Delivery is another €2.47 for the cheapest option with delivery
    times of approximately 1 week. (My order I placed earlier today
    has already shipped).

Play-Asia are one of the better online shops, I've placed 30+ orders
    with them over the years without any problems. If you order more
    than one item at a time you increase the likelihood of customs.

Price is €36.23
    http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-dw-49-en-70-29i6.html
    Delivery is another €2.47 for the cheapest option with delivery
    times of approximately 1 week. (My order I placed earlier today
    has already shipped).

Play-Asia are one of the better online shops, I've placed 30+ orders
    with them over the years without any problems. If you order more
    than one item at a time you increase the likelihood of customs.

great stuff cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭hottstuff

Rented this last week , for a week.:)
    Great single player game with fantastic movie like cut scenes.
    Multiplayer was not my thing even though i have and like COD4.
    Deffo a renter for me.But well worth a rent i might add.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭armour87

Xtravision gave me €50 for Burnout Paradise on 360 a few days after it came out. Traded in for Orange Box which was at 40 and I walked away with a tenner!

Considering this Brothers in Arms myself too. Only other shooter that interests me at the minute.

People should admit, love them or hate them, WWII games are never going to stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

ROC1977 wrote: »
    play asia is great cheapest place I've found, and if you pre order you tend to get them delivered a few days before release date. Like I did with Fifa09. Got it 3 days early.

Gas man.

ha ha lol;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

My father rented this for a week and I had a few hours with it. Have to say, its one of the better WW2 titles in recent months - the storyline is pretty gripping stuff and the cutscenes are very "Band of Brothers" style. I've also always liked the way BIA approaches the genre - this isn't Rambo and playing through it, trying to go in guns blazing in every fight will result in a very frustrating experience. Its all about tactics....

One thing I did find irritating was the easiness of the aiming system. Even the ****tiest rifles and even a pistol seemed capable of sniping nazis miles in the distance once I got used to it. There's no realism in having the aiming skills of the Terminator.... Another small annoyance was the repetition of the death cams. They are a novelty the first 10 or 20 times but quickly wear thin after that...

There's other things you could pick out for criticism; dutch accents that don't sound the slightest bit dutch, the unrealistic "danger" mechanism (red on screen if you stayed uncovered for too long), the continuation of characters from previous BIA games without any introduction for series newbies - but these are probably the only real complaints I'd have.

If you're looking for a solid WW2 "tactical" FPS, with a fairly engrossing and interesting story to back it up, then you really cannot go wrong with Hells Highway.

I thought the story was rather weak in this one. It was back to the hackneyed storytelling of the first one with support characters you didn;t care about. Wish it just focused on the effects of the war on the characters like earned in blood did. It would have worked a lot better since they were capable of pulling it off. There is an excellent and very effective scene right at the end that really shows what could have been.

Advertisement