Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

TEEN INSURANCE

Options
  • 05-10-2008 1:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi,
    I'm Having a real headache. Thing is, that soon i'm getting provisional license, and I need a suggestion from you guys, how to save on insurance? What car is cheapest to insure? I googled a lot still I found Nissan micra cheapest, 2,5K. Please.... HELP?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Konfetaz wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm Having a real headache. Thing is, that soon i'm getting provisional license, and I need a suggestion from you guys, how to save on insurance? What car is cheapest to insure? I googled a lot still I found Nissan micra cheapest, 2,5K. Please.... HELP?

Well a 1.0 litre car in general. Try Quinn Direct if you havent already

I was qouted €1,800 on a 1.4 with Quinn Direct with a prov. liecence and 17 years old.
    You will be paying the balls of €1,500 and over easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Hi,

Learner Permit!
    Really any 1.0->1.3 will be more or less the same, so long as it's not a civic, colt etc. They will have loadings because of their reputation as being "boy racer" cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Konfetaz

What about some kind of saloon? ~1.6L Diesel automatic gearbox? It does not matter, what make, model, else is it, I don't want to pay loads for it. Any suggestions about saving on insurance?
    One more thing, to take a full license later, I can take it only after 2 years, or earlier? And about taking it, does anyone look for any records about you? you know, like if i had a car, insurance, road taxes? Or i just go in here and go for driving test....

You must have held your learner permit for 6 months on the day of your test, you may apply for the test before this. And no, they do not check your history, however they will check to make sure you're car has a tax/nct/insurance etc, on the day of your test.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Not the coolest car to be driving, but I got my OH insured on a Daewoo matiz when he was learning and it was €995 a year with Quinn. That was about two years ago tho. As the others have said, try to keep it below 1.3l engine and stay away from the boy racer cars. One that will surprise you is the Subaru Vivo (it's a tiny little car) but because it's a Subaru it's weighted.;)

• Advertisement

Hey thanks, really. But still no matter what bestquote.ie gives me 2.5 grand. why? I can't use online quote engine on quinn-direct, I'll try calling them. Thing is i'm 17. And about driving with someone who is holding full license, What if I'll be driving alone, what are the penalties?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭Wossack

1000e on the spot fine afaik

Hey thanks, really. But still no matter what bestquote.ie gives me 2.5 grand. why? I can't use online quote engine on quinn-direct, I'll try calling them. Thing is i'm 17. And about driving with someone who is holding full license, What if I'll be driving alone, what are the penalties?

Online quotes are rubbish. Best thing to do is to ring around the different insurers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

for insurance try quinn, axa, or hibernian

check if any brokers from this group http://www.sertus.ie/

are near you if not telephone them, different companies offer deals at different times so ask around

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

They're the kinda prices you'll be paying for a while. 17 here too, and 2k for TP, Fire and theft on a Punto... 2.5k for comprehensive. Thats with quinn btw.

Doesn't matter what car it is, you're gonna be paying from 1500 upwards at the very least. and for a 1.6..you'd prob be paying 3000 upwards. There is no such thing as cheap insurance for learner drivers. (excluding named driver)

• Advertisement

1k on spot? OMG?!!!! has anyone had this situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭Wossack

1k on spot? OMG?!!!! has anyone had this situation?

Sorry, shoulda read 'up to 1000e'

couple of people busted - link

Thanks a million you guys. ;)
    Also, What car would you prefer if you were my age? You know what i'm looking at, but what car would you suggest for me up to 2K?

Advertisement