Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

lost xp cd

• 05-10-2008 2:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

Hi all, I have a question for ye, apoligies if it has been asked before.

I recently got a second hand laptop from a friend with win xp pro installed but no windows cd, the coa and product key are on the underside of the laptop. I want to reinstall xp to get rid of all the crap that is already there.
    My question is: is it legal to use the laptop product key with a different windows disc? as far as i understand the key is your licence and not the disc, correct me if i'm wrong.
    Any help would be appriciated
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Licence belongs to the machine / COA not the disc, work away and ring the M$ monkeys if you need activation.

MC

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Is it an OEM like a Dell? IIRC you can just boot any XP Pro CD and it will install fine since the product key is imprinted on the BIOS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Nope, never heard of the product key in the bios. new one for me.

MC

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

actually it's the other way around
    a Dell XP CD will complain if you try to install it on another brand of computer because it doesn't recognise the BIOS

The key for a recovery image would be in the CD not the bios

you can use magic jelly bean keyfinder to backup the oem key.
    you can't use a different brand of XP cd as it won't recognise the BIOS, but a generic OEM might do

a lot of laptops did not come with CD's
    depending on the brand you may only have an image file on the HDD

or look for the pc decrapifier to remove junk

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

That must be it. Wasn't too sure about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭lemd

cheers

Advertisement