Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat limping

Options
  • 05-10-2008 2:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭

My cat, Jess, who is almost 3 has just came in limping on her front paw really badly. She is eating but looks like she is really in a lot of pain. There is no blood on her foot but it looks a bit twisted. Any ideas what I can do for her until I get her to the vets tomorrow?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭mary123

Have u checked there is nothing stuck in her paw. not sure what u can, if anything, give for the pain but i would try and keep her contained if poss, have u got a crate? and maybe keep her warm.
    hopefully its nothing to serious. Let us no how u get on at vet tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BlackCat2008

Mary's right try to contain her till tomorrow or keep her in one room, it sounds like she got it caught somewere and should be kept of it, put her food and litter tray near her and just don't handler her till you have to.

Lets know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭rinnin

Sounds like a displaced fracture if it looks twisted out of shape. I'd try and splint if if she lets you to prevent any further injury. Well I'd really try and reduce it (distract and realign) then splint it but I doubt she'd tolerate it unless you knock her out with some whishkey or something first! :D
    Just get her to the vet ASAP! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Sounds very painful have you a 24 hour vet if not get the cat to the vets first thing in the mean time keep the cat in a carrier or cage, if you haven't got one keep the cat in a small room and make sure the room is warm and the cat has a comfortable place to rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

Hi folks,
    Thanks for the advice. I kept her in all last night and this morning she seemed to be a bit better. Limping a bit but not half as much as lastnite. I didn't bring her to the vet as she is wild and will only let me and my Da near her. (Bringing her to the vet is an ordeal in itself, nevermind what happens when she gets there.) She is eating and is curled up beside me on her blankey. I think she might have a bad sprain. If she is not better by tomorrow night, I'll bring her to the vets. Hopefuly she will be ok! After losing my dog of 14 years last month, I couldn't bear it if anything happened to her!!
    Thanks again, Folks!!!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Lauragoesmad, I appreciate how difficult it is to bring a cat to the vet when it's not people-friendly, but it's important that you go to the vet anyway. Even though puss might seem to be improving, cats are terrible buggers for struggling on through the pain. They suffer in silence a lot, and can often have far worse underlying injuries than you ever would have thought.

The other thing is that all breaks, sprains, fractures and tears in cats need to be treated, despite their tendency to heal on their own better than the same injury in a dog. Cats are such light animals that left to their own devices they will mend quickly, however that's not to say they'll mend straight and true. Badly mended injuries leave the cat susceptible to early-onset arthritis in the wounded limb, and if she's an outdoor cat, that restricted nimbleness will increase her risk of injury or death.

Take her to the vet, get it checked out, better safe than sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭mary123

Also dont worry about her not liking the vets, they are well used to this.

Advertisement