Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2nd McCain-Obama Debate 7 October

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Pocono Joe wrote: »
    Honestly, I can’t believe they don’t make more gaffes with a routine of traveling town to town every day, sleeping in strange beds, and eating strange foods. All while listening to advisers and keeping up with the daily events that face our nation and the world. (Well that is except for Joe Biden, who makes gaffes a regular normal almost daily occurrence whether on the trail or not.)

Don't agree with much of what you say joe, but this paragraph is so true. There is way too much attention paid to simple mistakes that we all make and as the candidates are are in the spotlight 24/7, they are bound to say some things they don't mean to.

Pity you couldn't get through the paragraph though without having a dig at the democrats...you were sooo close :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Pocono Joe

Ludo wrote: »
    Pity you couldn't get through the paragraph though without having a dig at the democrats...you were sooo close :)

Glad not to disappoint. It’s hard to shake off years of training at the Ann Coulter School of Wit and Sarcasm.

LOL :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Brokaw: The three -- health care, energy, and entitlement reform: Social Security and Medicare. In what order would you put them in terms of priorities?

McCain: I think you can work on all three at once, Tom. I think it's very important that reform our entitlement programs.

My friends, we are not going to be able to provide the same benefit for present-day workers that we are going -- that present-day retirees have today. We're going to have to sit down across the table, Republican and Democrat, as we did in 1983 between Ronald Reagan and Tip O'Neill.

I know how to do that. I have a clear record of reaching across the aisle, whether it be Joe Lieberman or Russ Feingold or Ted Kennedy or others. That's my clear record.

We can work on nuclear power plants. Build a whole bunch of them, create millions of new jobs. We have to have all of the above, alternative fuels, wind, tide, solar, natural gas, clean coal technology. All of these things we can do as Americans and we can take on this mission and we can overcome it.

My friends, some of this $700 billion ends up in the hands of terrorist organizations.

As far as health care is concerned, obviously, everyone is struggling to make sure that they can afford their premiums and that they can have affordable and available health care. That's the next issue.

But we can do them all at once. There's no -- and we have to do them all at once. All three you mentioned are compelling national security requirements.

With the Prisoners comment and that the cracks are starting to show on McCains sanity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

pj is satire right?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Ludo wrote: »
    Just remember, at this point in the campaign 8 years ago, Gore had a 12 point lead over Bush...and look what happened there!
    Likewise 4 years ago John Kerry was ahead in the polls at this stage.

As I heard someone say the other day, most people seem to want to vote Democrat but then get "nervous" at the last minute and decide to go with the Republicans for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭iwudluvit

What I find interesting is the way the race is generalised here, there, the uk etc. etc.

Quite apart from the "Palin is a bimbo, McCain is old, Obama is electric and Biden is solid." personality side to it, there's the "Republicans are God fearing bumpkin hicks" and "Democrats are liberal educated citizens" cliched split.

You'd never think that it's far more nuanced than that with sub groups of republicans and if you want to generalise, the educational levels of supporters on a par if not higher for Republicans who are richer and older. That side to it doesn't get much air play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Pocono Joe wrote: »
    PS. In person, Sarah Palin is absolutely stunning.

I saw her in CO and I thought the cameras flatter her.

Personally, and without being catty, I don't think she's anything spectacular.

I can understand why guys might like her in an area with Clinton, Rice and Pelosi, but even still.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Interesting report there on the rally Pocono Joe, thanks for sharing the insight, though it does sound like your assessment was a little affected by the euphoria of the event as you come across a little starstruck of Palin. That's inevitable to some extent I guess and I'm glad to hear she comes across impressively in person as I was really struggling to understand how so many people support her.

I don't see much talk on here of McCain's $300billion plan to buy up bad mortgages and remortgage them at the current value. Despite the blatant opportunism (as Obama rightly pointed out the $700billion bill includes the authority to do this already), I'd like to hear how that's being perceived in the US at the moment. It's going even further from Republican ideals than the main thrust of the $700billion bank bailout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Interesting report there on the rally Pocono Joe, thanks for sharing the insight, though it does sound like your assessment was a little affected by the euphoria of the event as you come across a little starstruck of Palin. That's inevitable to some extent I guess and I'm glad to hear she comes across impressively in person as I was really struggling to understand how so many people support her.

I don't see much talk on here of McCain's $300billion plan to buy up bad mortgages and remortgage them at the current value. Despite the blatant opportunism (as Obama rightly pointed out the $700billion bill includes the authority to do this already), I'd like to hear how that's being perceived in the US at the moment. It's going even further from Republican ideals than the main thrust of the $700billion bank bailout.

True, though the star struck comment would apply to Obama too!

Haven't heard much on bad mortgages part either, sounds like what the Swedish did in the 90's.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Ludo... many of us here in the states would characterize your claim of "nervousness" (Democrats that at the last minute decide to go with the Republicans) rather as a “moment of sanity.”

- - - -

FrankG... guilty as charged I guess. Living in a “Blue Neighborhood” of a “Blue County” of a “Blue State,” I must admit it was quite fun to finally be amongst a group of like-minded individuals.

As for Sarah Palin, I think you might sum up my observation simply that she has the “IT” factor. Ronald Reagan had it, Bill Clinton has it, Barack Obama has it, and unfortunately to most here, Sarah Palin has it. If Sarah Palin had a (D) behind her name rather than an (R), I believe the perceived devil horns, the foam around the mouth, and her obtuseness would all mysteriously disappear, The media, the pundits and a host of Kool-Aid drinking elitists would suddenly be promoting her exceptional qualifications and experience (see Barack Obama for reference) as governor, and they would be claiming she is a distillation of Margaret Thatcher, Indirah Ghandi, Hillary Clinton, and maybe even the Virgin Mary herself. Her opinion on abortion would also be touted as just more proof of the Democrat’s ability to allow differences of opinion within their vaulted party (not to mention a political plus for a large anti-abortion segment of the party).

Unfortunately it’s not who you are, but rather what you are that seems to be the only real measure of an individual to many in what has become of the Democratic party. As a Republican I admit Hillary has some fine credentials, and if I (grimace) had to have a Democratic President come next year, I would rather it be Clinton than Obama.

As far as McCain's plan to buy up bad mortgages and remortgage them at the current value. I'm not in favor of it if it increases the $700 Billion figure. But I'm hearing there is still things to be ironed out, so I will withhold comment (anger) until I know more.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Mick Shrimpton

pj is satire right?

As mad as it sounds, I don't think it is!

How scary is that?

As mad as it sounds, I don't think it is!

How scary is that?

I am right here you know! LOL. But ya'll will never will really quite know for sure. ;)

Advertisement