Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2nd McCain-Obama Debate 7 October

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Obama nailing this last question with his vision thing. Very strong answer from him.

McCain's effort - "What I don't know is what we all don't know". - Ugh
    Shocking. His answer came nowhere near Obama's

I think Obama was the clear winner. McCain was trying to attack Obama but didn't land any real blows. I don't think McCain will have convinved many additional voters to pick him whereas Obama will have reassured some of those undecided to back him.

Interesting point - apparently on the CNN tracker there was a negative reaction everytime McCain tried attacking Obama.

Also saw a comment that the chairs were too high for McCain which ended up making him look less impressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Trojan wrote: »
    Can't agree with that. Too many digs and fear-mongering from McCain. You coming from a neutral perspective or Rep-leaning ?

I think Obama clearly wins it, but not by a landslide.

I'm a registered independent.

I've flip-flopped, but I'll admit I've been leaning towards Obama since Palin came on board.

CNN gave Obama the debate by a landslide in 5/6 analysts.

I can understand why, but as someone wanting to be swayed, Obama showed me nothing I haven't seen before, McCain did. As with most debates, it hasn't changed anything for me, but I think McCain made his points far more effectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Going to watch 5 mins of CNN (probably will get 8 seconds from each reporter in their studio)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

McCain wasted a golden opportunity. He should have been more aggressive. He needs to do better in the final debate. He done a satisfactory job tonight as did Obama but that was all Obama needed. Bar a miracle this election will go to Obama.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Interesting point - apparently on the CNN tracker there was a negative reaction everytime McCain tried attacking Obama.

There was a negative reaction whenever either candidate attacked the other. Obama referencing the moon landings seemed to get the highest reaction.

• Advertisement

GuanYin wrote: »
    I'm a registered independent.

I've flip-flopped, but I'll admit I've been leaning towards Obama since Palin came on board.

CNN gave Obama the debate by a landslide in 5/6 analysts.

I can understand why, but as someone wanting to be swayed, Obama showed me nothing I haven't seen before, McCain did. As with most debates, it hasn't changed anything for me, but I think McCain made his points far more effectively.

I thought you were an independent, good to get an impression from a relative neutral.

redout wrote: »
    McCain wasted a golden opportunity. He should have been more aggressive.

No way, he was TERRIBLE whenever he tried the lame attacks on Obama. He should have spent his time on prepping for questions rather than coming up with attack points.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I thought you were an independent, good to get an impression from a relative neutral.

If it's any consolation, I'm in a room with a republican, 3 resident aliens and 4 democrats and 2 more independents. I'm the only one who thinks McCain did better. :)

I guess I should also point out I'm financially secure and likely to pay more taxes under Obama ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

i think guanyin has winger goggles on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

More to the point, why are you watching it on Fox?

NTM

It was the only channel that wasnt b0rked with an overdo of tickers and some sort of live popularity guages or whatever that thing was on CNN. It was watchable on faux.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Who won doesn't really matter. Obama's still standing and McCain still hasn't achieved the game changer needed to turn things around. Provided the lazy voter/racial factor doesn't kill him, the election is Obama's to lose imo.

Who won doesn't really matter. Obama's still standing and McCain still hasn't achieved the game changer needed to turn things around. Provided the lazy voter/racial factor doesn't kill him, the election is Obama's to lose imo.
    Assuming Messrs Diebold (Ohio) and H. Chad (Florida) don't have anything to say about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Only thing new seems to be the mortgage bail out from McCain. No detail though.

I'd say McCain will do better than last time in the polls, but I doubt he'll match Obama.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

the townhall debate was nothing special, the questioners should have got follow up questions even though brokaw asked the right questions.

I guess I should also point out I'm financially secure and likely to pay more taxes under Obama ;)

Win-win: you'll also have more work, since people will actually be able to afford medical services :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭AFC_1903

GuanYin - True, and my apologies for diverting from topic.

I had meant (but forgotton) to say that i'd be interested to see a debate between the 2nd in commands. Obama/McCain is obviously the main battle but he is a man who is currently 72, older than 91% of Americans and the US State of Hawaii. He has a good chance of becoming President of what is arguably the most powerful country in the world, and at this point in his life there is a much higher risk of medical problems - this would require his 2nd in command to step in...

i think guanyin has winger goggles on

br-goggles.jpg

?

even mcains attacks on obama were old

Jaysus, even Fox Analysts where murdering McCAIN!

CNN have Obama 22 ahead on the Economy.

Likeability 65 -28

Foreign Policy - McCain slightly ahead.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭AFC_1903

I missed the last question, due to the return of drunken people to my house, but to me McCain appeared a bit childish relying too much on putting Obama down, whereas Obama appeared mature and composed though should've done more to steer conversation towards the Economy/Taxation. I had expected Obama to do a bit better, but I still think he won.

If I was to score from ten, with points split between the two...

Obama 6-4 McCain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

my favourite line of the night:
    "You're standing in front of my script!!"

:D:D:D

edit: boring debate. Obama trounced McCain, town hall style was useless, im glad both candidates broke the rules once or twice :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Seanies32 wrote: »
    Only thing new seems to be the mortgage bail out from McCain. No detail though.
    Yes, I kept waiting for McCain to say how he was going to pay for these millions of home foreclosures. Another fed bailout, probably adding another trillion to the current historic $10 trillion plus fed deficit left by Bush?

Although a majority of the pundits gave Obama a win on this debate, I did not agree. I thought it a tie overall, which should not help McCain being that he entered the 2nd debate behind in most polls.

Once again I was disappointed in Obama not demonstrating his public speaking charisma, holding back to appear more presidential. He has been compared to JFK in speaking ability, but I have not seen this in the first two debates. Is he waiting for the last debate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

IT'S ON RTÉ1 NOW!!! Woohoo

bloody hell, how old does John McCain look...?

Once again I was disappointed in Obama not demonstrating his public speaking charisma, holding back to appear more presidential. He has been compared to JFK in speaking ability, but I have not seen this in the first two debates. Is he waiting for the last debate?

Agreed 100%. He's certainly no Matt Santos!

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CtrlSource

More to the point, why are you watching it on Fox?

Fox picture and sound quality are better (on my tv at least) than CNN. But i like the CNN graph thingy. Not all the time though, so i tend to flick between them (and NBC).
    Overheal wrote: »
    condascending pat on the back to the navy officer - bad move.

i thought it was terrible! The prolonged *pat pat pat* seemed to cheapen the words he spoke. Cringe!

Am also a bit sick of McCain using his military past to puff up his campaign.
    Very petty of McCain not to shake his hand, that's just pathetic.

Cindy didn't shake Michelle's hand either (on camera at least). There's no love lost between those 2 couples!

Reckon that you're likely to pay more taxes under either tbh - given the economy etc.

i dislike the way McCain doesn't bother defending his tax policies when they're attacked as being focused on the wealthy. It's like he's just turned into another Dubya (the relentless 'McCain is Bush' line from the Obama people has really worked on me! ;))

"Some people call you the elite. I call you my base."

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Terribly dull stuff and will probably skip the next one. Really could do with renaming these things to "What I will really try to promise to do, how much judgement I can convince you I have and what he or anyone I can connect him to, did wrong". On personality McCain was better and much more comfortable with this format. Very loose attempts to tell the American people they are up the creek. Would call that a draw, Obama strong on economics and McCain more assured on foreign policy. McCain really needed a good one, but seeing as he appeared relatively calm may not slip any further but nothing here to suggest that he can close out the deal. Script line the best thing about it, pity we had to wait till the end for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CtrlSource

is_that_so wrote: »
    Obama strong on economics and McCain more assured on foreign policy.

Charles Krauthammer on Fox would disagree with you. He thought the reverse - though couldn't see it myself. i have a bit of time for him. Conservative, but has bursts of fairness :P

Everybody talks about McCain's strengths in the town hall format. i didn't see it. If you call saying "My friends..." and thanking every questioner for their questionss strength, grand. i call it insincerity

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

CtrlSource wrote: »
    Charles Krauthammer on Fox would disagree with you. He thought the reverse - though couldn't see it myself. i have a bit of time for him. Conservative, but has bursts of fairness :P

Everybody talks about McCain's strengths in the town hall format. i didn't see it. If you call saying "My friends..." and thanking every questioner for their questionss strength, grand. i call it insincerity

Obama has also, necessarily, gone folksy. He even dropped a few -ings. To my mind there's a pair of them in it. Remember who they are talking to and they are politicians. Not aimed at "hypercritical political analysts", but "ordinary folk".

• Advertisement

Although a majority of the pundits gave Obama a win on this debate, I did not agree. I thought it a tie overall, which should not help McCain being that he entered the 2nd debate behind in most polls.

True, I was surprised at that, thought McCain did ok, not brilliant, but held his own. I think Obama is stronger in these polls on the economy and it's transferring to the overall result.
    Fox picture and sound quality are better (on my tv at least) than CNN. But i like the CNN graph thingy. Not all the time though, so i tend to flick between them (and NBC).

Same for me, can't get NBC on Sky though. Best laugh of the night was the Fox text poll, 88% McCain, even Hannity was red faced! :eek:
    CtrlSource wrote:
    i thought it was terrible! The prolonged *pat pat pat* seemed to cheapen the words he spoke. Cringe!

Am also a bit sick of McCain using his military past to puff up his campaign.

I thought that was one of Obamas strong points. He explained his policy well to him and you could see it was getting through.

Yeah, Obama got used to the town Hall format very quickly, the military guy being a good example. I think CNN made the point that after the debate was over Obama went over to him and talked to him again. He wants to reassure voters in an almost Clintonesque way.

Advertisement