Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**OZ Visa Expired?**

Options
  • 05-10-2008 6:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

hey,

just wondering can people tell what are the sanctions for leaving australia after your visa has expired.

my 12 month work visa expires on the 23rd october but i want to stay on and attend the international rules game on october 31st,after that i plan on heading to new zealand for a few weeks.

what happens when i go the leave australia?
    what sanctions are in place - blacklisting etc.
    will it have a bearing on my plans to visit new zealand.

help on this matter greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

well you can apply for a holiday visa and you can stay out of trouble ... easy peasy (or do a visa run, and come back on holiday visa)

otherwise if you are caught you get into big trouble.
    The detension camp in the desert is worse than any prison you'll find, and you can be locked up.

and if you are caught you are sent home rather than another country (if end up in the camp)

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭No_Deal

hussey wrote: »
    well you can apply for a holiday visa and you can stay out of trouble ... easy peasy (or do a visa run, and come back on holiday visa)

otherwise if you are caught you get into big trouble.
    The detension camp in the desert is worse than any prison you'll find, and you can be locked up.

and if you are caught you are sent home rather than another country (if end up in the camp)

i was told i couldnt apply for the holiday visa unless i had left the country for any period of time and re-entered in the 12 months i am here (which i havent)???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭the dee

I can only speak from my Aussie boyfriend's experience in Ireland when I say that they don't seem to check visas when you're leaving, only when you're entering. They should let you leave with no problem, not sure what NZ would be on the lookout for. However, if you try to re-enter Australia, having over-stayed before, they'd probably be a bit more strict about it. As far as I know you can expect about 5 years of exclusion from oz. Don't quote me on that though.

I'm not going to condone doing anything illegal, but you need to be aware of the risks you're running and make your decision based on that. Don't do anything unless you're prepared to take the consequences of your actions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

You could end up with a 3 year exclusion. This will not help you in the future as data interchange only progresses and this could follow you to other western countries

My advice is go and talk to the visa office explain what you want to do then ask the legal way to do it.

If they say you cannot , don't do it.

Advertisement