Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mac

Options
  • 05-10-2008 7:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭

what does €1500 get one in terms of a decent quality mac these days?

absolute minimum 4gb ram required

doable?

the whole massive monitor thing doesnt really apply, 17 inch is more than sufficient if that saves

im not mac savvy, and im wary of sites that sell all in one package jobbies, which is all i can seem to find

can you build your own mac... or is that just far too much by way of effort?

(im fully aware that i do nothing but abuse macs, but i want a protools rig, and i already have a sh1t hot pc, so i figure why not have one of each)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

http://www.apple.com/ie/
    will tell you all you need .
    Helix wrote: »
    what does €1500 get one in terms of a decent quality mac these days?

absolute minimum 4gb ram required

doable?

the whole massive monitor thing doesnt really apply, 17 inch is more than sufficient if that saves

im not mac savvy, and im wary of sites that sell all in one package jobbies, which is all i can seem to find

can you build your own mac... or is that just far too much by way of effort?

(im fully aware that i do nothing but abuse macs, but i want a protools rig, and i already have a sh1t hot pc, so i figure why not have one of each)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭ICN

Value is absent on the apple w/site.

I got my mac pro frm musicstore.. Bought the ram & extra HD seperate + saved a ton.

Compare the 2 sites. I'm not sure what they are like now pricewise, but would be worth a look.

Prices on apple for extra ram etc.. are offputting to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭trackmixstudio

Check www.jigsaw24.com
    They always have great deals.
    Buy ram from crucial.com/uk.
    The current imac is great but I would suggest a macbook and an external monitor. The current macbook is very powerful and portable. You could hook up the external monitor at home and have arrange and mixer windows.
    I have a 2.2 macbook and it will run most studio sessions without freezing any tracks. The macbook pro is a lot of extra cash but will have the same performance with music software. It has a much better graphics card but you will only need that for gaming or video editing. I use my MBP for final cut but generally use my black macbook as my "go anywhere" laptop.
    When you get the mac make sure to get logic too. If you are coming from PT LE the extra track count, built in synths and fx and full plugin delay compensation will rock your world!
    Most of the guys here are mac users so if you need further info there should be lots of opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭trackmixstudio

Helix wrote: »

I used to have a sh1t hot PC. It was sh1t and ran so hot it would turn itself off:p

Advertisement