Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best value TV at the mo?

Options
  • 05-10-2008 8:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    I think my mams tv has packed in so she's looking to get a new one. I suppose if she's going to spend the money this time, I don't want her to be paying over the odds if she can get a much better deal somewhere else. I don't have a clue about TV's, but basically she wouldn't care about HD or any of that, just something to watch late late show and old films they play at 3am and that :pac:

I see boffer have a 32" on offer at the moment. It's only got a 90 day warranty though (but isn't there some law about things having to last for 2 years?), plus she wouldn't really need anything that big, but again, if it's a great offer, she could afford to go for it, but at €260 approx delivered, that would be around her max:)

Any help appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

cormie wrote: »

I see boffer have a 32" on offer at the moment. It's only got a 90 day warranty though (but isn't there some law about things having to last for 2 years?), plus she wouldn't really need anything that big, but again, if it's a great offer, she could afford to go for it, but at €260 approx delivered, that would be around her max:)

Do you have a link for that?

[edit] Found it! http://www.boffer.co.uk/

AFAIK these were originally sold by Woolworths in the UK there's a huge 275 page thread on AV Forums about them.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=394834

Woolworths sold a number of different models some made in China and some in the Czech Republic I'm not sure which one this is but your welcome to wade through the 275 pages to find out!

I'd be pretty wary of buying this one especially with only a 90 day guarantee and the hassles of returning it to the UK if it goes wrong.

If you don't mind doing the ebay thing, have a look at http://stores.ebay.ie/LuzernTech they have a good selection of LCD tvs from much better brands. Watch out for where the item is located, they have depots in the UK and in Dublin, if you buy something from the Dublin location AFAIK you can arrange to pick it up yourself (in Ballycoolin) and save on the delivery charges. I was watching some 19" Phillips TVs last week and they were going for between €130 - €180 (watch out though everything is priced in sterling!)

Other than that Tescos had a Mirai 32" for €375 recently but they are probably now all gone, but it might be worth ringing headoffice and see if someone could check the stock system to find one for you....

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

So any sub €250 deals knocking around tesco/dunnes/power city does anyone know? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

You can get a 28" Tube TV for €219.99 with a built in DVD player in Argos, made by Dual. You'd probably get a better deal in TEsco/Dunnes/DID/Harvey Norman etc.

When you say Tube tv, do you mean CRT, as in, not flat panel/screen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Yep, CRT.

Hmm, the 32" on boffer worked out at about only €40 more for a flat panel, would prefer something similar I think :)

Thanks for the input!

Another tv on boffer at the mo, 26 inch for about €220 delivered.

My mam said she'd only want to spend about €150 max on a tv, so probably resort to a 2nd hand one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

cormie wrote: »
    Another tv on boffer at the mo, 26 inch for about €220 delivered.

My mam said she'd only want to spend about €150 max on a tv, so probably resort to a 2nd hand one.

With everyone "upgrading" to flat panels, there are literally mountains of perfectly serviceable CRT TVs being thrown away. Try down your local recycling centre or some friendly TV store as I think they are obliged to take back old TV as part of the WEEE scheme. The most it's going to cost you is a universal remote control.

Once she has a TV to keep her going the pressure is off and you might pick up a bargain in a flat panel either new or 2nd. hand.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Ya, agree with the above poster.

You could check out toterdells service centre in Bray, they are always selling ex-rental CRT TV's at very good prices. might get an old plasma even.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Harpy

if your around a harvey normans saw today in the paper a 32" for 300 euro and it was flat screen

Thanks for the help everyone :) Turns out the problem with my mams tv was the aerial came out, haha, technophobe but wont need to splash out for another while :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Kamaldihnio

Harpy wrote: »
    if your around a harvey normans saw today in the paper a 32" for 300 euro and it was flat screen

Full HD? Doubt it somehow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭mark2000ie

Do-more wrote: »
    Do you have a link for that?

[edit] Found it! http://www.boffer.co.uk/

AFAIK these were originally sold by Woolworths in the UK there's a huge 275 page thread on AV Forums about them.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=394834

Woolworths sold a number of different models some made in China and some in the Czech Republic I'm not sure which one this is but your welcome to wade through the 275 pages to find out!

I'd be pretty wary of buying this one especially with only a 90 day guarantee and the hassles of returning it to the UK if it goes wrong.

If you don't mind doing the ebay thing, have a look at http://stores.ebay.ie/LuzernTech they have a good selection of LCD tvs from much better brands. Watch out for where the item is located, they have depots in the UK and in Dublin, if you buy something from the Dublin location AFAIK you can arrange to pick it up yourself (in Ballycoolin) and save on the delivery charges. I was watching some 19" Phillips TVs last week and they were going for between €130 - €180 (watch out though everything is priced in sterling!)

Other than that Tescos had a Mirai 32" for €375 recently but they are probably now all gone, but it might be worth ringing headoffice and see if someone could check the stock system to find one for you...

I bought a 42 inch Philips tv from them for 800 euro and tv broke after 2 years. They were a nightmare to deal with and would do nothing at all for me.
    Steer clear from them

Advertisement