Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW dof

Options
  • 05-10-2008 9:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭

read a report suggesting spurs are trying to get terry venables to replace under fire DOF comolli!

is this a realistic report?

would it be good for the club? surely he can do a better job than comolli?

any takers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

he couldnt do any worse than that twit comolli in all fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭John W

tippspur wrote: »
    he couldnt do any worse than that twit comolli in all fairness.

Good move for me

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

In my opinion it would be a bad move.

The man is unreliable and far to focused on personal gain. All we'd be getting is a good media pr man.

He would'nt last more than six months then clear out with a fully paid up contract.

RichMc70 wrote: »
    In my opinion it would be a bad move.

The man is unreliable and far to focused on personal gain. All we'd be getting is a good media pr man.

He wouldn't last more than six months then clear out with a fully paid up contract.

Do you think he would be worse than Camolli?

I think this move does two good things for the club;

1, Keeps the wolf from Ramos's door, they need a scapegoat and Camolli does for me!:p
    2, We need change at the club, admittedly this is probably not the real change we need, but any change might add a spark in the dressing, or give them confidence that things that happened in the summer won't happen again (not that I think it was all down to Camolli).

The man has good contacts in English and European football, I think he would get us a descent DMF and CB. He is also a strong character, and will argue the toss in the boardroom with Levy, so I think that is an asset:)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Important question: do you consider El Tel to be a football man or a business man?

• Advertisement

John W wrote: »
    Do you think he would be worse than Camolli?

I think this move does two good things for the club;

1, Keeps the wolf from Ramos's door, they need a scapegoat and Camolli does for me!:p
    2, We need change at the club, admittedly this is probably not the real change we need, but any change might add a spark in the dressing, or give them confidence that things that happened in the summer won't happen again (not that I think it was all down to Camolli).

The man has good contacts in English and European football, I think he would get us a descent DMF and CB. He is also a strong character, and will argue the toss in the boardroom with Levy, so I think that is an asset:)

I don't necessarily think that Venebals will be better at this stage.

As DOF, Venables is not gonna have any input in the dressing room. That's the coaches job.

He may or may not still those have contacts however when it comes to january:
    • every club knows Spurs desperate position and no-one is gonna sell to us on the cheap
    • any half decent player does not want to join a club rooted to the bottom of the league table
    • any half decent player does not want to join a club that has absolutely no chance of qualifying for the champions league
    • any half decent player would not want to join a club not knowing if he will have the same coach in charge in six days let alone next May
    • in regard to arguing with Levy, well look where that got BMJ
    The only way I could see Spurs taking him on as DOF is that the board have already decided to give Ramos the chop and therefore have a ready made caretaker coach waiting in the wings (similar to David Pleats last stint in the hot seat).

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Woodgate

Do we need a DOF?

Surely the manager should be deciding who he wants/signs.

The top teams, Man U, Chelski, Scum & the Pool, don't have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

couldn't be any worse.

Go to any phone book, flick through the pages, stop flicking after a few seconds, go to the 17th person down and offer them the job cos they'd do a better job then Comolli.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Kharn wrote: »
    Important question: do you consider El Tel to be a football man or a business man?
    At least he's a spurs man.

tippspur wrote: »
    At least he's a spurs man.

I'm sorry Tipp but that is not strictly true. Chelski, QPhahaha and Palace would also claim he's also one of theirs. Plus Boro, Pompey, Barca, England and the Socceroos.

As previouly pointed out, the so called big four do not have a Director of Football. What does that tell us? For me it says they rely on the expertise of the Head Coach to identify what players he needs to strengthen or improve the team (obviously with help of reliable talent spotters). It means he will get players that he actually wants to play. Players he is confident will make a substantial contribution to the team.

The flaws would be obvious if the maneger was incomptent however with a DOF it's not so black and white and suspicion will always lay with the coach not knowing what he is doing as opposed to the DOF buying sh1te.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

RichMc70 wrote: »

As previouly pointed out, the so called big four do not have a Director of Football. What does that tell us? For me it says they rely on the expertise of the Head Coach to identify what players he needs to strengthen or improve the team (obviously with help of reliable talent spotters). It means he will get players that he actually wants to play. Players he is confident will make a substantial contribution to the team.

of course the manager knows where in his team he needs to strenghten and where he doesnt so i feel it should be left to him to say i need a centrl defender or a striker or def mid or whatever and let his scouts do the rest n give him some names which he decides who he wants.

keane=cock wrote: »
    of course the manager knows where in his team he needs to strenghten and where he doesnt so i feel it should be left to him to say i need a centrl defender or a striker or def mid or whatever and let his scouts do the rest n give him some names which he decides who he wants.

In fairness I think this does happen, as Ramos is a member of the panel that "should" make these decisions. problem is, I think a lot of our problems are not down to scouting the right players, but more in the "deals", namely how much we pay, and when they are done - for me, this falls squarely on Levy !

I am not a great lover of the system, or Comolli, but in fairness, transfers are only a part of his job, and probably not the biggest part. he is responsible for improving the academy, training and medical facilities and making better business and marketing partnerships, and to my mind in these area's he has done a descent job - Academy is strong, training and medical facilities are top notch - we are doing very well out of our marketing deals, as for business partnerships, you would have to ask the shareholders.

So although we are all desperately looking for someone to blame, I am not sure the buck stops at Comolli door entirely;)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Yea, I think there's too much of a business mentality and not enough of a football one in the boardroom. We sold Keane and Berba this summer and made big profit. Great business sense. Unfortunately, we cannot buy goals in games and in my mind, we did nothing to replace these key players. It's in the papers that Pavlyuchenko and Bent say they can't play together, dos Santos is still young (but I expect some good things from him) and Campbell is on loan and could just end up back at Utd in summer. Where's the 40 goal strike partnership we need out of those 4? Fair play Mr Levy, you're making money, but at what cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

I he is responsible for improving the academy, training and medical facilities and making better business and marketing partnerships, and to my mind in these area's he has done a descent job - Academy is strong, training and medical facilities are top notch - we are doing very well out of our marketing deals, as for business partnerships, you would have to ask the shareholders.

How do you make out the academy is strong ? When was the last time we produced a player of our own ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Spider_Baby!

Hatch99 wrote: »
    How do you make out the academy is strong ? When was the last time we produced a player of our own ?

Jamie O Hara?

Jamie O Hara?

Jamie O'Hara came through the Arsenal youth development before transferring to us because he was surplus to their requirements.

The only first team player we have who actually came up through our own youth development is Ledley King.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

I am not a great lover of the system, or Comolli, but in fairness, transfers are only a part of his job, and probably not the biggest part. he is responsible for improving the academy, training and medical facilities and making better business and marketing partnerships, and to my mind in these area's he has done a descent job - Academy is strong, training and medical facilities are top notch - we are doing very well out of our marketing deals, as for business partnerships, you would have to ask the shareholders.

So although we are all desperately looking for someone to blame, I am not sure the buck stops at Comolli door entirely;)

dont think any one person is soley to blame either and think spurs as a business is as steady as any club in the league but as a sporting team they are a shambles which to the fans is where it really counts most!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Jamie O Hara?

He aint a product of Spurs my friend.

Advertisement