Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shots fired at my local!

Options
  • 05-10-2008 9:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭

Apparently there was an incident at my local nightclub last night. It's literally a minute's walk from my apartment and I'd often be there on a Friday night. It can be dodgy enough sometimes but bloody hell not to this extent! Top news story in WA today -

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.aspx?MenuID=77&ContentID=101174
    Police interview man over shooting

5th October 2008, 10:30 WST

Police say a 32-year-old Marangaroo man believed to have been involved in a Joondalup nightclub shooting overnight is in Sir Charles Gairdner hospital under police guard.

Police have refused to release the man's name until they have spoken with him further about the incident.

Three shots were fired from a pistol in front of the Dusk nightclub after a patron was ejected from the premises.

The manager of the club was injured in the shooting.

Police said the 32-year-old man under police guard had received injuries during his apprehension.

I was up til about 3am last night watchin football and I'm surprised I never heard the shots. Crazy stuff altogether.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

Thats pretty nuts alright man, I see you have your alibi all sorted out "no officer I swear, I was up late watching football in my apartment, I even mentioned it on boards.ie" :D There was a stabbing or shooting or something down in Northbridge on Saturday night aswell, police had an area cordened off and there was a big pool of blood in the street. Maybe it has something to do with it being a nice sunny weekend for a change, everyone probably went a bit overboard, Jesus if things keep up like this they'll have to rename Perth to New Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Ha ha yeah it's almost as bad as back home in Blanch!

If you've got the tv handy it's gonna be on the 6 o'clock news.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Looks like there's gonna be plans made to install metal detectors in clubs in the wake of the shooting -

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.aspx?MenuID=77&ContentID=101262
    Club shots spark gun check calls

6th October 2008, 6:00 WST

Nightclubs may be forced to install metal detectors after the manager of Dusk nightclub in Joondalup narrowly escaped serious injury in a shooting early yesterday.

Police Minister Rob Johnson said he would consider legislation to make metal detectors compulsory.

HAVE YOUR SAY: Do you feel safe in nightclubs?

A 31-year-old Marangaroo man is under guard in hospital after the incident, which came after he was evicted from the nightclub.

He allegedly pulled a concealed pistol from his back pocket and fired three shots at bouncers before being subdued.

The club’s manager, Jason Burton, received minor stomach injuries, possibly from a ricochet.

The man had been asked to leave the club after he was involved in an argument with another patron about 1.15am.

Det-Sgt Brad Burnett said that when the man was evicted he allegedly pulled a .25 calibre pistol — about the size of a palm — from his back pocket and fired twice, narrowly missing eight people standing on the club’s steps.

One bullet smashed through the club’s front glass door and another lodged in a wall. After firing a third shot, the man was tackled by bouncers and other patrons.

The alleged gunman received significant facial injuries while being subdued and was taken to Joondalup police station by security staff and then to Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital.

A trail of blood could be seen yesterday morning from the steps of the nightclub to the front door of the police station about 50m away.

Mr Johnson said he would meet Police Commissioner Karl O’Callaghan this week to discuss options for nightclub safety, including the need for detector legislation.

A long-time supporter of detectors in clubs, Northbridge’s Geisha nightclub owner Peter Palmer said it was time to start doing something about installing metal detectors in venues rather than just talking about it.

Mr Palmer, whose club has a walkthrough metal detector, said detectors should be installed in all late-night venues and not just nightclubs, because of the prevalence of weapons.

He called for harsher fines for people caught concealing weapons and the issue should not be used for political advantage.

“Until 10 or 20 people die in Perth no one will ever do anything about it,” he said. “Rob Johnson shouldn’t be able to get any mileage out of it. All he’s got to do is put a Bill up and it’ll become law next week. But it’s not going to happen.”

The 31-year-old man faces a charge of an act with intent to cause harm and various firearm charges

Advertisement