Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbour cut my trees, anyone know the law?

Options
  • 05-10-2008 10:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hey,

I have just got back yesterday from my holidays to find that my neighbor has cut my trees. They are a line of Laylandii that are on my side of my back wall. They are no more than 15 feet high and are kept neatly trimmed and topped. He has peviously cut the branches that cross the boundry wall on his side and thrown the cuttings back over my wall - this i have no problem with.
    Yesterday when i got back i noticed them straigh away, i could see straight through the hedge into his property. He has cut them rigght back to the trunks which are about 1.5 feet on my side of the wall, worse than that he has topped the trees so that now they are all different hieghts on my side as well as see through. As his property boarders mine and a part of one of my neighbors properties he also cut tress from his land and dumped all the cuttings over my wall.
    I am going to go and take photos today, but can i do anything about this? does anyone know? i realise that its a civil matter and the trees are now cut and they cannot be glued back together but I'm fuming, i feel like calling to his front door today with a chainsaw and asking which trees in his garden that i can destroy!
    i see it as tresspassing, destruction of property, dumping and breach of privacy, but i dont know if i can do anything about it. can anyone tell me?
    :mad:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Moved.

This is more suited to here as its a more general question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭sparkyjo

he has every right to throw the cutting in to your property as they are your plants and i think he is also aloud to top them if they ubstruct light in to his garden in any way and really if you are not willing to keep them under control by politely asking your neighbour could you cut them in his garden then what do you expect do you really think it is ok to allow your trees to take over someone elses garden in reallity 15 feet is probably to high for a boundry even if they are on your side it is just unbelieveable that you would not consider specking to your neighbour about it directly rather than as you have mentioned it is a civil case to me it sound like you are lookin to cause trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

sparkyjo wrote: »
    he has every right to throw the cutting in to your property as they are your plants and i think he is also aloud to top them if they ubstruct light in to his garden in any way and really if you are not willing to keep them under control by politely asking your neighbour could you cut them in his garden then what do you expect do you really think it is ok to allow your trees to take over someone elses garden in reallity 15 feet is probably to high for a boundry even if they are on your side it is just unbelieveable that you would not consider specking to your neighbour about it directly rather than as you have mentioned it is a civil case to me it sound like you are lookin to cause trouble

Please disregard this post as it is absolute nonsense and factually incorrect on nearly all counts. I mean come on 'i think he is also aloud to top them if they ubstruct light in to his garden in any way'?????

explain yourself

the big

a come on is not really a reply

explain yourself

the big

a come on is not really a reply

I really don't think I need to explain myself. Why don't you explain where you got your 'facts'?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Hottuna

Sparky,
    If you read my thread, the trees were kept topped and trimmed by me. also i have no problem with him dumping cuttings from my trees, its the cutting from my other neighbours trees that i dont want dumped.
    i should have explained that his house is at 90 degrees to the back of mine and that the trees are on the side of his driveway which is between my/our wall and the gable end of his house. therefore it does not matter to his sun light if the trees are 15 foot or 50 foot.

Hottuna wrote: »
    Sparky,
    If you read my thread, the trees were kept topped and trimmed by me. also i have no problem with him dumping cuttings from my trees, its the cutting from my other neighbours trees that i dont want dumped.
    i should have explained that his house is at 90 degrees to the back of mine and that the trees are on the side of his driveway which is between my/our wall and the gable end of his house. therefore it does not matter to his sun light if the trees are 15 foot or 50 foot.

Either way he has no right to sunlight as long as the trees are on your side of the divide and not overhanging his property.

well if you trees are that close to his house would that not be his problem i am not saying they are going to but in the off chance one falls and hits his house are you saying it doesn't matter whether they are 15 or 50 feetoh and by the way 15 feet is a little over 4 and a half meters which is fairly high your explaination is not very good of the suituation to explain this properly you would need photos

and the big the way i know about this is because mother had the problem with a neighbour let his trees grow to high and she used to cut her side and the council told her she had every right to throw the cutting in to his garden and also that if they deemed the tree dangerous on obstrutive they would be instructing him to take them down to a reasonable height or all together if he was not willing to keep the under control them trees were removed because he became to old and could not look after them but in reality stupidity and ignorance cause the problem to begin with and the fact that he didn't care about the people around him because in his mind as long as i am happy sure let others deal with it

well if you trees are that close to his house would that not be his problem i am not saying they are going to but in the off chance one falls and hits his house are you saying it doesn't matter whether they are 15 or 50 feet your explaination is not very good of the suituation to explain this properly you would need photos

and the big the way i know about this is because mother had the problem with a neighbour let his trees grow to high and she used to cut her side and the council told her she had every right to throw the cutting in to his garden and also that if they deemed the tree dangerous on obstrutive they would be instructing him to take them down to a reasonable height or all together if he was not willing to keep the under control them trees were removed because he became to old and could not look after them but in reality stupidity and ignorance cause the problem to begin with and the fact that he didn't care about the people around him because in his mind as long as i am happy sure let others deal with it

Are you actually reading any of the posts. The poster has said they have no problem with the neighbour throwing cuttings from the their side into his (the OP) garden. His problem is with the neighbour trespassing on to his property, cutting his trees, and also dumping cuttings from someone elses garden into his property.

Are you clear on that now?

Whether or not the neighbour feels they are blocking light or whatever, they still have no right to trespass.

Also,a 15 foot high tree is not going to fall and damage a neighbours house. That's just being ridiculous.

Another also, can you work on your grammar. It's difficult to read your posts in the absence of any full stops, commas or paragraphs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Hottuna wrote: »
    i realise that its a civil matter and the trees are now cut and they cannot be glued back together but I'm fuming,
    i see it as tresspassing, destruction of property, dumping and breach of privacy, but i dont know if i can do anything about it.

First off, let me say that I am no expert. You have my sympathies and I would be livid if that happened to me. I am fairly sure you are correct about the trespassing and destruction of property. Obviously the "neighbour" is some kind of spineless ****wit to do that without even asking you to do it first. I would go to a solicitor ASAP and see what they say. Until you get that clarified you should "take the high moral ground" and keep the chainsaw in the shed. OTOH I don't see any problem with calling to the neighbour and letting him know how you feel about it as long as you can keep it verbal on your side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Looks like trespass, destruction of property and illegal dumping, if you ask me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

well if you trees are that close to his house would that not be his problem i am not saying they are going to but in the off chance one falls and hits his house are you saying it doesn't matter whether they are 15 or 50 feetoh and by the way 15 feet is a little over 4 and a half meters which is fairly high your explaination is not very good of the suituation to explain this properly you would need photos

Please use punctuation. This post is very difficult to understand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If you want to make an issue of it, get a solicitor, but realise that from now on its war.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,790 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Your neighbour could well have got a contractor and told them to trim back the part of the trees where it went into his garden, or at least he meant to tell them that. They they got a bit enthusiastic.

I know it's a problem, and I know he shouldn't have done it, but try to avoid starting war over it if you can. At the end of the day it's just trees. They will eventually grow back. Try not to damage your relationship with the neighbour for the long-term.

Can you go and talk to this guy and tell him you aren't happy with what happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Victor wrote: »
    If you want to make an issue of it, get a solicitor, but realise that from now on its war.

Lol I think Victor is the neighbour and he has just declared war. Beware! :D

This may not be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

IanCurtis wrote: »
    Please use punctuation. This post is very difficult to understand.

I read it just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

He had no right to do it and if he hired somebody else to do it and they did more than they are meant to he is responsible for that too.

Let him know you are not happy about it but I wouldn't go legal. It does kind of depend on what he says in response. If he is unrepentant he pretty much is declaring war and you might as well go legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Could you scatter a few aul' commas and full stops? Getting a headache following this...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

Why are ye commenting on punctuation on three year old posts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭lynchie

Zombie thread.... have no idea why somebody bothered commenting on punctuation on a post that's dead.

lynchie wrote: »
    Zombie thread.... have no idea why somebody bothered commenting on punctuation on a post that's dead.
    Bored. I'm cleaning up the interweb!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

i-like-trees-shirt_design.png

Zamboni wrote: »
    i-like-trees-shirt_design.png
    That too! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

I like locks.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Leylandii are the spawn of the devil and kill everything around them, he did nature a favour. Why not grow something less awful ?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    I like locks.

So do I.......

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement