Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where is Longford?

• 05-10-2008 11:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭

A few weeks ago I had reason to go to Longford. Now, I know how to get there, but I would have welcomed help to get to a particular address. So I set it into my recently acquired Garmin Nuvi 200w, and set off from my base in the north-east. It kept trying to take me away from Longford towards some point south. I over-ruled it and got to my target. I supposed, as I was a novice user, that I had entered my destination incorrectly in some way.

Yesterday I again wanted to go to Longford, and was starting from south of Athlone. This was a chance to check the Garmin. So I entered my target carefully, followed instructions, and it brought me to Ballymahon -- missing its target by about 20 km.

Has anybody else had this, or a similar experience of a GPS map having towns incorrectly labelled?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,540 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Nope, I've not this issue on my Garmin, and have on a number of occasions had to route to Longford town as well.

How did you 'enter your target'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

By address. I wanted a business premises at Athlone Road, Longford. Selected town, entered "LONGFORD", confirmed "Longford, Co. Longford", then selected "Athlone Road" (randomly chose number 1, as I didn't have a number for the premises I was seeking).

Yes, Ballymahon has an Athlone Road as well.

Did you do anything different?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,540 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Yes, I would have been searching by city, which would have directed me to the heart of Longford. ...and yes, I can see the same issue in MapSource, when searching for: City = Longford, Street=Athlone Road - It points to Ballymahon.

Garmin (Navteq) doesn't seem to have an Athlone Road in (or around) Longford, but there is one in Ballymahon which is also in Longford (county). In Mapsource, the Athlone Road is just called 'Road'. Best thing would be to send the error into Navteq and get them to correct it for the future.

Advertisement