Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wall Chasing - socket size/depth???

• 05-10-2008 12:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hi

I am about to start chasing the walls in my house, does anyone know what dimensions I should chase out to fit in single and double sockets?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Easiest way is to buy double and single steel boxes and chase so their face is flush with block. Vertical and horizontal chases should then align with knockout holes in boxes. Ask sparks for a piece of wavin or conduit he intends using and use as a depth guide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭northdublin

a standard size metal flush box is 25mm deep, and the standard size conduit used is pvc and it too is between 20 and 25mm. you would need to go a little deeper for the likes of cooker and shower switches....up to 45mm deep for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Just go to an electrical wholesaler to buy your back boxes.....
    Don'y even think about going to the likes of B&Q etc etc, unless you want to pay over the odds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭newname

Cheers for the replies - i'll get a few of them boxes and hopefully i can make a decent effort at the chasing.

Got quotes for €450 to chase a 2300sq foot house - is that a decent price????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

just keep in mind to use 35mm boxes if you're fitting any flatplate accessories on the 2nd fix.regular boxes can be a tight fit

• Advertisement
Advertisement