Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4-bit and 8-bit BMPs

Options
  • 05-10-2008 12:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭

Hi, I have paintbrush for windows, and paint.net.

I want to save graphic images with minimal colours and absolute minimum filesize.

The image I want, saved as 2236 x 2236 pixels in paintbrush, in 16-bit BMP format, is 2.5mB.

The same image in paint.net, saved in 8-bit BMP format, is 5mB!

I don't understand why that is so. Anyway, is there a way I can save the image as an 8-bit, or even a 4-bit image, to get that filesize down even further? I don't want monochrome.

I should say that the image cannot be reduced in size, and must be in BMP format... :)

Thanks...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

minimum file size ... I'd recommend going with jpeg compression.

You do lose some of the image quality though but from the sounds of it it would be what you're after ...

Try going File ... Save as ... and from the extensions choose jpg / jpeg (I assume those options will be there)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭HydeRoad

No, JPEG is no use. I need BMP only, for another program that will only read BMP files. That is why the problem is so difficult. I was hoping to find out specifically how to save in 4-bit or 8-bit BMP format to keep file size to an absolute minimum. Thanks.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

What program are you reading the bitmaps into?

Bitmap files (.bmp) aren't compressed
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMP_file_format
    A jpeg or png (which are just compressed bitmaps) would the the logical option.

Advertisement