Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony PRS 700 Vs. Netbook

Options
  • 05-10-2008 1:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭

Need some advice please folks.

My wife is keen on getting the new Sony PRS 700 ebook reader thingy when its available here in Europe, but what I was wondering is whether or not one of those netbook laptops would also do the trick?

Are ebooks readable on just dedicated ereaders or will a small laptop or netbook also do the trick?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭c0y0te

Thanks for the thoughts... I reckon I'll end up getting both at some point, but I suppose I should start her off on the ebook reader from Sony.

Another question if I may.. does this Sony gizmo recharge on a USB connection the way a standard MP3 player does when it's hooked up to a PC?

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

bedlam wrote: »
    Regarding the books, most formats have readers for the PC/Mac/... however I am not so sure if the Sony native format (lrf/lrx) does. ePub will hopefully take off in a big way in the coming year and there will be little issue reading this format on anything from phones to computers.

At a pinch you can read lrfs using the ebook library software than comes with the Reader (or it can be downloaded).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭c0y0te

I checked with Sony today and the new PRS-700 will only be released in the USA in November, not expected in Europe until mid next year it seems.

Worse still - I asked about purchasing one in the states and just using a USB to charge it here in Ireland and they told me the downloads would only work in the USA and threw in some bull**** about the firmware needing to be upgraded before it would work in Europe.

Bottom line - I can't be arsed circumventing the proxy setup and I think I'll avoid the PRS 700 for now and check in on it again in 6 months to see if it's hit the shelves in Europe or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Well we didn't get the PRS-505 until well over a year after it was released in the US - so 6 months is pretty short by comparison but I think they just threw out a random number and it'll be longer. This is one of the things I really hate about Sony: the European market seems to exist only to clear stock of older models...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭20goto10

c0y0te wrote: »
    I checked with Sony today and the new PRS-700 will only be released in the USA in November, not expected in Europe until mid next year it seems.

Worse still - I asked about purchasing one in the states and just using a USB to charge it here in Ireland and they told me the downloads would only work in the USA and threw in some bull**** about the firmware needing to be upgraded before it would work in Europe.

Bottom line - I can't be arsed circumventing the proxy setup and I think I'll avoid the PRS 700 for now and check in on it again in 6 months to see if it's hit the shelves in Europe or not.
    Does your wife need search and notes functionality? Or does she just want it as a digital book? If she doesn't need those features then go for the prs-505. It was only released in Ireland and UK last month. By the time the 700 comes out there'll be yet a newer model in the US worth waiting for (wifi for example :-))

• Advertisement
Advertisement