Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

James McCarthy

• 05-10-2008 1:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭

Todays Daily Mail reports that Scotland will try to steal back James McCarthy from us.
    SCOTLAND have made a move to steal James McCarthy from the Republic of Ireland.

MailSport can reveal the Hamilton hitkid has been assessed by George Burley who reckons the 17-year-old can go all the way.

And the Scots boss has ordered his backroom staff to pull out all the stops to land the midfielder.

McCarthy was born in Glasgow but opted to turn out for Ireland's Under-17 team last year after previous Scotland regimes had ignored him.

His grandfather was born in Donegal and he has since been capped at Under-18, Under-19 and Under-21 level.

But a player can switch allegiances up until his 21st birthday as long as he hasn't won a full cap.

And this loophole has led to the SFA talking with Accies boss Billy Reid to find out McCarthy's feelings on a switch.

Burley - who watched the player in Hamilton's 4-0 defeat by Celtic yesterday - and Scotland Under-21 boss Billy Stark want to meet him.

Both believe he could be playing for the full side before long but the SFA are awaiting news.

Landing McCarthy would be a major coup but the Irish - who saw Celtic's Aiden McGeady pick them ahead of Scotland - are desperate to keep him.

The youngster signed a three-year Hamilton deal in the summer but is being monitored by Celtic, Chelsea and Liverpool.

Is it time we give him a cap just to ward off Scotland?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

It's up to the kid himself. He might be a bit peeved that Scotland ignored him up to now, or he might have always wanted to play for Scotland and will jump at the chance.

Even if he gets a run out in the Irish shirt, he probably wont become and established member of the Irish set up for another 5 or so years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Yeah I agree with the poster before. If he actually wants to play for Scotland then its his choice but he seems to have had much more irish connection than someone like mcgeady did.

Just read up on him a bit there. He's made 65 appearances for Hamilton, scoring 8 goals. Not too shabby for a 17 year old.

even if the level is ****e. just off-topic, but i predict jake kelly will be a star. playing for bray, he must be only 17. broke his leg at nottingham forest so returned to dublin.

Did Forrest just let him go because of the injury?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭RefulgentGnomon

Yeah I agree with the poster before. If he actually wants to play for Scotland then its his choice but he seems to have had much more irish connection than someone like mcgeady did.

What do you mean by that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Meh, once again. Cock up of Stan IMO. If you're going to give Joe Lapira a cap this guy should of been capped long ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Damn I really hope we don't miss out on this lad. I've been tracking his progress of late and I think he's a great prospect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

If he feels Irish, I'm happy to have him play for us. As such, if he wants, he should be capped in the Poland game to lock him in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭glenjamin

PHB wrote: »
    If he feels Irish, I'm happy to have him play for us. As such, if he wants, he should be capped in the Poland game to lock him in.

I think you need to be capped in an competitive game to be completely tied down to a country. Meaning Joe Lapira can still play for the USA until hes overage.

• Advertisement

well not exactly. the poland game fits into fifas international recognised schedule so a cap would mean he would be tied down.

now if he was to play in the 'ireland select' matches like against Nottingham forest I think what you said would be true.

I might be wrong though, but im nearly positive.

wasn't the darron gibson affair ended when he played in a friendly, maby the win against norway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Nope, must be a competitive game.
    2. If a player has been included in a national or representative team of a country for which he is eligible to play pursuant to paragraph 1, he shall not be permitted to take part in an international match for another country. Accordingly, any player who is qualified to play for more than one national association (i.e. who has dual nationality) will be deemed to have committed himself to one association only when he plays his first international match in an official competition (at any level) for that association.

3. The only players exempt from this provision are those whose nationality has been changed not voluntarily but as the result of an international decree either granting independence to a region or ceding part of one country to another.

Obviously the key phrase in the rule is "an official competition (at any level)." What constitutes an "official competition" is not spelled out, but in usage it has come to mean a World Cup match or any qualifier leading up to a World Cup, whether at the senior level (full national side), youth level (both under-20 and under-17), or in a FIFA "sanctioned" competition, such as the Olympics, or a tournament held by one of the regional confederations. The African Nations Cup, the UEFA Cup and the CONCACAF Gold Cup competitions would be examples of the latter.

This seems pretty straightforward, but in practice it isn’t, especially on the youth level. Friendly matches do not constitute "official competitions," but, at times, various confederations use different and changing standards for qualification of teams to regional youth championships. What might seem a friendly, might even retroactively be considered a qualifier for an "official" youth competition. Moreover, it is not even clear if a qualifier for an official youth competition is in itself an official match.

God I'm bored tonight...

cheers man...never knew that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,214 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

James McCarthy is meant to have an awful lot of potential. He has already been courted by Arsenal/Man U/Barca etc... but so far has turned them all down.

Celtic have done a lot of chasing as well but I don't think James will end up with us, even though he is a bhoy, due to how McGeady has been treated throughout Scotland.

Trap has been hinting at the idea of capping McCarthy in the friendly against Poland in order to secure his services.
    Republic of Ireland boss Giovanni Trapattoni is confident James McCarthy will not switch allegiances to Scotland.

Scotland are sounding out the possibility of McCarthy playing for them, despite representing Republic of Ireland at Under 21 level.

Fifa rules state any player can switch their international allegiance if they have not won a full cap and are under the age of 21.

Seventeen-year-old McCarthy was born in Glasgow, but decided to play for the Republic, who he qualifies for through his grandparents.

Trapattoni plans to speak to the highly-rated teenager and has hinted he could be included in the friendly with Poland on 19th November to ensure he stays with Ireland.

"We will see if he is Irish or Scottish - but I think he will play for Ireland," Trapattoni told the Irish Sun.

"I haven't spoken to him yet myself, but I will speak to him soon. I know he has two possibilities, Scotland and Ireland.

"I think he will choose Ireland and maybe he will play in the next friendly."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,14933_4261934,00.html

I think that's a good idea. Show the guy that he is wanted. Ultimately though it comes down to how he feels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Not sure if we need to cap him just in case...

http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3677
    Hamilton Academicals midfielder James McCarthy, 17, has decided to reaffirm his commitment to the Republic of Ireland national teams following significant media speculation recently.

James is flattered by the genuine interest shown in him by Billy Stark and George Burley in recent weeks with a view to him being selected by Scotland.

However, he is now in his third season with the Irish set up, having already represented them at Under-17, Under-18, Under-19 and Under-21 levels, despite still being a month short of his 18th birthday.

James feels he would be letting too many people down by switching from the Irish at this stage. He is content to end the speculation and now just wishes to concentrate on his club commitments with Accies in the SPL where he is thoroughly enjoying the involvement and demands upon him there.

Hamilton Academicals are delighted to see our young players gain international recognition with Scotland, having had three players capped at various levels already this season, but would also firmly and fully back young James on this particular occasion.

The club are quite happy to support what has been James decision. Hamilton manager Billy Reid is delighted with the player’s progress at the club, which has been tremendous considering his young age and feels that the player is fully deserving of the various club and international interest in him.

That's great news. I'm really pleased to hear that.

Great news. Contrast the maturity of James Mcarthy's to Stephen Manchesters. 4 years his junior and all.
    Glad its all settled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Great news. Contrast the maturity of James Mcarthy's to Stephen Manchesters. 4 years his junior and all.
    Glad its all settled.

:rolleyes: It wasn't funny the first time.

never the aim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

Glad its all settled.

TBH, I'm not sure if its about maturity. What I am thankful for though, is that such a prospect cares about international football. Then again I think, and hope, Stephen Manchester (thought that was quite funny myself esteban:) ) is an exception to the rule.

Has anyone seen this guy in action? Is he an attacking centre mid?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I heared he played very well against celtic recently.
    Good to see Trap has the international team's long term future in mind.

I've seen him in bits but the thing about him is that its not that he does anything spectacular, just his intelligence and muturity is very special for his age.

If he develops to become a top class player I feel Ireland will need to adapt to the Under-21's 4-3-3 style to accomodate our growing amount of talented young midfielders. I think if Ireland qualify or have a good campaign Tardelli will take over as manager and this is when we could see this implemented.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

The hypocricy of the Scottish press on this is frightning. The same pundits who are attacking McCarthy and McGeady before him will with a straight face call for Nacho Novo to be called up to Scotland.

The Scots take on Englishmen all the time, including the current squad. There is s Scot at Livi who declared for South Africa and one at Motherwell for the 6 counties. Not a peep from the press.

Its the same old anti-Irish racism from the Scotch media.

Also the SFA had numerous chances to cap McCarthy at underage level and ignored him. Now he makes a name for himself, partially due to the coaching he got under the Irish set up, and suddenly the SFA put pressure on him via the press to change his mind. By all means approach the lad and ask - but the way they have gone about this stinks.

The hypocricy of the Scottish press on this is frightning. The same pundits who are attacking McCarthy and McGeady before him will with a straight face call for Nacho Novo to be called up to Scotland.

The Scots take on Englishmen all the time, including the current squad. There is s Scot at Livi who declared for South Africa and one at Motherwell for the 6 counties. Not a peep from the press.

Also the SFA had numerous chances to cap McCarthy at underage level and ignored him. Now he makes a name for himself, partially due to the coaching he got under the Irish set up, and suddenly the SFA put pressure on him via the press to change his mind. By all means approach the lad and ask - but the way they have gone about this stinks.

A shocking article from the Daily Record about McGeady and McCarthy.

James McCarthy is a country bumpkin

Sep 27 2008 John Mckie

IT'S not up there with David Miliband's or George Michael's week, but it's
    not been a great seven days to be a Scotland fan.

No Alan Hutton for Norway, no tickets for Norway (the travel club and I
    have fallen out on email) and now James McCarthy, Hamilton's talented Scot
    who would need the producers of Who Do You Think You Are? to trace his
    Irish ancestry, has chosen to play for the republic.

He said: "A lot of people have written a lot of rubbish about this issue,
    but Scotland never came in for me, and Ireland did."

Rubbish? Some of us have suggested he play for the country of his birth.

If you like, blame Archie Knox, Billy Stark or even Gordon Smith for
    letting it happen, but that's missing the point.

This was James McCarthy's decision - and he made the wrong one. To wait for
    Scotland to pick you is common courtesy.

To moan, at 17, that they haven't picked you yet and play for a worse side
    is downright rude. Especially when they've asked you to skipper Scotland
    Under-19s.

Unlike McCarthy, Aiden McGeady had even less excuse. Tommy Burns begged him
    to represent Scotland.

But he is also whining. He wondered on Celtic TV recently why opposition
    fans don't boo Shaun Maloney, but abuse him. Is it because he's Irish? No,
    it's because he's NOT Irish.

McCarthy and McGeady have made the biggest mistake of their football lives,
    and they'll have to live with it. It's like becoming a Goth at 17 and not
    being able to remove the eyeliner and Sisters Of Mercy T-shirt when you're

Celtic's Irish fans say that "Scots-born Irishmen" should be allowed to
    make their own decisions. Only one problem.

McGeady and McCarthy are Scots-born Scots.

James McCarthy is a country bumpkin

Sep 27 2008 John Mckie

IT'S not up there with David Miliband's or George Michael's week, but it's
    not been a great seven days to be a Scotland fan.

No Alan Hutton for Norway, no tickets for Norway (the travel club and I
    have fallen out on email) and now James McCarthy, Hamilton's talented Scot
    who would need the producers of Who Do You Think You Are? to trace his
    Irish ancestry, has chosen to play for the republic.

He said: "A lot of people have written a lot of rubbish about this issue,
    but Scotland never came in for me, and Ireland did."

Rubbish? Some of us have suggested he play for the country of his birth.

If you like, blame Archie Knox, Billy Stark or even Gordon Smith for
    letting it happen, but that's missing the point.

This was James McCarthy's decision - and he made the wrong one. To wait for
    Scotland to pick you is common courtesy.

To moan, at 17, that they haven't picked you yet and play for a worse side
    is downright rude. Especially when they've asked you to skipper Scotland
    Under-19s.

Unlike McCarthy, Aiden McGeady had even less excuse. Tommy Burns begged him
    to represent Scotland.

But he is also whining. He wondered on Celtic TV recently why opposition
    fans don't boo Shaun Maloney, but abuse him. Is it because he's Irish? No,
    it's because he's NOT Irish.

McCarthy and McGeady have made the biggest mistake of their football lives,
    and they'll have to live with it. It's like becoming a Goth at 17 and not
    being able to remove the eyeliner and Sisters Of Mercy T-shirt when you're

Celtic's Irish fans say that "Scots-born Irishmen" should be allowed to
    make their own decisions. Only one problem.

McGeady and McCarthy are Scots-born Scots.

LOL. In all fairness, I can understand their frustration. They have been struggling to produce quality players for a while now, and 2 good prospects have declared for Ireland. I think there'd be a few disgruntled locals if lets say, some talented Nigerian or Polish decendants were born and bred in Ireland and were looking like great prospects and then declared for their grandparents/parents nation. For small countries like Ireland and Scotland, we really need all the quality players we can get. Its the players decision though, still doesn't stop the frustration:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭luckylucky

Are the Scotch media more anti-Irish than the Irish newspapers? :pac:

JimiTime wrote: »
    LOL. In all fairness, I can understand their frustration. They have been struggling to produce quality players for a while now, and 2 good prospects have declared for Ireland. I think there'd be a few disgruntled locals if lets say, some talented Nigerian or Polish decendants were born and bred in Ireland and were looking like great prospects and then declared for their grandparents/parents nation. For small countries like Ireland and Scotland, we really need all the quality players we can get. Its the players decision though, still doesn't stop the frustration:D

I would wish the lad well tbh and then ask whats wrong with how we integrate second and third generation immigrants that they would prefer to play for the land of their forefathers.

If the FAI didn't pick this player despite media and coach advice to cap them and the Nigerian or Polish FA stepped in, then they are the villians of the piece like the SFA are here.

Again, why is George Burley doing this through the media? He knows what the backlash will be against McCarthy, starting in Ipox next weekend.

luckylucky wrote: »
    Are the Scotch media more anti-Irish than the Irish newspapers? :pac:

to be fair, the indo had a right go at that article in the record

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭luckylucky

to be fair, the indo had a right go at that article in the record

The Unionist(ahem i mean the Indo :P) is normally alright in the sports section part. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Ah look, yet another thread used to showcase certain people's persecution complex'.
    Such fun.

As for McCarthy the player, he doesnt seem to have set the heather alight this season and he certainly didnt live up to the hype against Celtic the other week.
    But he is still very young, and he is building up experience all the time.

2igg54z.jpg

While that is a poorly written piece in many ways, and it meanders of into a pointless dig at England by the end.

It is quite clearly headlined "A PERSONAL VIEW".

Are people who dont agree with you not entitled to that these days bob?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

If the FAI didn't pick this player despite media and coach advice to cap them and the Nigerian or Polish FA stepped in, then they are the villians of the piece like the SFA are here.

Doesnt seem like an impossible scenario given the history of the FAI (although I would imagine the Nigeria team being somewhat more difficult to break)

Happens all the time. Currently Steven Reid and arguably Dean Kiely are good enough for England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

shane86 wrote: »
    Currently Steven Reid and arguably Dean Kiely are good enough for England.

Not even nearly mate :)

Lampard,Barry,Gerrard,Hargreaves,Carrick are all considerably better than Reid.

James,Carson,Foster,Harte & Green are all better than Kiely too i reckon.

• Advertisement

Eirebear wrote: »
    While that is a poorly written piece in many ways, and it meanders of into a pointless dig at England by the end.

It is quite clearly headlined "A PERSONAL VIEW".

Are people who dont agree with you not entitled to that these days bob?

Eh, I don't actually think that I have given my opinion on McCarthy at all so you don't actually know what my opinion is.

Interesting that you've jumped to conclusions...

Eh, I don't actually think that I have given my opinion on McCarthy at all so you don't actually know what my opinion is.

Interesting that you've jumped to conclusions...

No, you make a very valid point there.

You havn't given your opinion on McCarthy, you predicably only used this thread as a platform for another of your "Scots media is Anti-Irish" rants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

shane86 wrote: »
    Doesnt seem like an impossible scenario given the history of the FAI (although I would imagine the Nigeria team being somewhat more difficult to break)

Happens all the time. Currently Steven Reid and arguably Dean Kiely are good enough for England.

LOL :eek:

Steven Reid wouldn't start but he would be pushing for a squad place when fit.

Kiely? Well perhaps Shane was joking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

who would he be pushing Estie my man?

Gerrard?Lampard?Barry?Hargreaves?Carrick? i really dont see it tbh!

He is an excellent player-but those players are all a level above him to be fair.

• Advertisement

he wouldn't make their team, especially on current form, but if he was to stay fit and get back to the 2005 Steven Reid he would part of the squad in my opinion.

Fighting it out with Jenas and the likes.

No, you make a very valid point there.

You havn't given your opinion on McCarthy, you predicably only used this thread as a platform for another of your "Scots media is Anti-Irish" rants.

Really? That's your own conclusion after reading the articles so as I haven't given any such opinion. Interesting that you that opinion of journalists from Scotland.

2igg54z.jpg

LOL again. Its just sour grapes really. A grown man taking pot shots at a 17 year old. It seems to me they are trying to presure the lad into joining the Scotland ranks. As I said previously, I can understand the frustration, but their gutter press opinion pieces are OTT. After all this, I hope he comes good. I've never seen him play, but I'm quite excited at the prospect. Anyone see him play? What type of player is he? Is there a player his style would compare to, just to give an idea?

Celtic have done a lot of chasing as well but I don't think James will end up with us, even though he is a bhoy, due to how McGeady has been treated throughout Scotland.

Ahhh ok, these comments are just an aside yes?

You are actually posting these articles up to be helpful and not back up your view of the Scottish press right?

You had no opinion whatsoever when you posted these?

LOL at that bitter article. I don't recall this kind of vitriol when Neil Sullivan, an English-born player, was lining up in goal for them.

Maybe they'll get pissed off and moan about us regarding James Connolly as an Irish hero.
    As for McCarthy the player, he doesnt seem to have set the heather alight this season and he certainly didnt live up to the hype against Celtic the other week.
    But he is still very young, and he is building up experience all the time.

A bit harsh. He inspired Hamilton to a win up at Aberdeen which was their first win there in 77 years...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/scot_prem/7611539.stm

And this is what his manager Billy Reid said on the game:
    The first 10 minutes of the game we never started and I thought 'here we go'.

"But we brought James McCarthy on and I thought the game changed on that substitution.

"He will mature into a fantastic football player, he is doing that already. People forget he is still 17."

I just hope the guy doesn't get bogged down with injuries but he seems to be made of stern stuff and in a few of the games I've seen him in he looks like he can take and give strong tackles.

Not harsh at all, hes had one good result against a team who are really struggling at the moment.

I never said he was a bad player, just that he simply isnt producing the form i was expecting of him considering the hype surrounding him last season.

Ahhh ok, these comments are just an aside yes?

You are actually posting these articles up to be helpful and not back up your view of the Scottish press right?

You had no opinion whatsoever when you posted these?

You claim that I was going on a rant about the "Scottish media being anti-Irish" - I did no such thing. As I said I haven't given any opinion on the Scottish media and their treatment of McCarthy.

You claim that I was going on a rant about the "Scottish media being anti-Irish" - I did no such thing. As I said I haven't given any opinion on the Scottish media and their treatment of McCarthy.

Ok, lets look at what we have to go on here.

So far you have posted that you believe McCarthy to be a player with a lot of potential, that celtic are chasing him but due to the treatment mcGeady recieves you dont feel he is ever going to sign for them.

You have posted, in reply to someone elses post where the scottish media are described as "Anti-Irish" "Another Shocking article from the daily record".

The you have posted another Article from a tabloid newspaper an article which seems to back up the opinion that McCarthy and mcGeady are treated badly.

Yet you tell me that i am jumping to conclusions and that you have never posted your opinion on either mcCarthy or the Scottish media?
    What have you been doing then, simply waffling with nothing interesting to say whatsoever?

You are either very smart, or very simple Mr Sands....i am undecided as to which yet.

LOL at that bitter article. I don't recall this kind of vitriol when Neil Sullivan, an English-born player, was lining up in goal for them.

Or the two Scots born players who declared for the 6 counties and South Africa this season.

Until they do, sorry EireBear, but the media are treating the guy who declared for Ireland differently to the guys who declared for other countries, and that fits into a pattern.

Ok, lets look at what we have to go on here.

So far you have posted that you believe McCarthy to be a player with a lot of potential, that celtic are chasing him but due to the treatment mcGeady recieves you dont feel he is ever going to sign for them.

You have posted, in reply to someone elses post where the scottish media are described as "Anti-Irish" "Another Shocking article from the daily record".

The you have posted another Article from a tabloid newspaper an article which seems to back up the opinion that McCarthy and mcGeady are treated badly.

Yet you tell me that i am jumping to conclusions and that you have never posted your opinion on either mcCarthy or the Scottish media?
    What have you been doing then, simply waffling with nothing interesting to say whatsoever?

You are either very smart, or very simple Mr Sands....i am undecided as to which yet.

I repeat...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement