Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

James McCarthy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

So discrimination based on nationality is okay in your book but discrimination based on colour of skin isn't?

Uh, NO. What made you jump to that conclusion? I'm a big fan of McCarthy and I think the people who have given him a hard time are absolute low-lifes. I don't however agree that they are racists. That word is tossed about far too freely in my view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

:rolleyes:

Were these players booed because of their religion or nationality? NO.

There is nothing sectarian or racist about booing people who play for Rangers. If you think otherwise then let's hear why???

I can't wait to read your response.

Rangers players are booed because Rangers are perceived, by the Irish and Celtic support, as a protestant unionist club.

Celtic fans will hide behind the 'rivalry' excuse but we all know the reason is the majority hate protestants and unionists (bty the way your id gives it away 'terrorist who committed suicide in 1981').

Ireland fans have no excuse, they are just stupid.

Rangers players are booed because Rangers are perceived, by the Irish and Celtic support, as a protestant unionist club.

Celtic fans will hide behind the 'rivalry' excuse but we all know the reason is the majority hate protestants and unionists (bty the way your id gives it away 'terrorist who committed suicide in 1981').

Sorry bobbysands1981, I was incorrect in what I said about your id in the above post , I stand corrected it should read

'(bty the way your id gives it away 'common criminal who committed suicide in 1981').

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Sorry bobbysands1981, I was incorrect in what I said about your id in the above post , I stand corrected it should read

'(bty the way your id gives it away 'common criminal who committed suicide in 1981').

Oh dear!!

You cant answer the mans questions so you resort to baiting him and several others with that nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,447 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

BTW, What does BTY mean anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,214 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Rangers are not, and never have been, a Protestant club. They have been an anti-Catholic and anti-Irish club though.

Celtic fans hate Protestants? Prove it, I bet you can't. Show me a video from Youtube of Celtic fans in Celtic Park singing an anti-Protestant song. Actually show me a video of Celtic fans at ANY soccer ground singing any anti-Protestant song.

I'll save you the trouble... Celtic fans don't have any anti-Protestant songs so you won't be able to find any. Celtic fans actually sing songs in support of famous Protestants in our clubs past, I know many many Protestant Celtic fans. Celtic fans, in general, couldn;t care less what religion anyone is (yes we do have a few idiots who do though). I have never heard a negative comment about anyone's religion at a Celtic match.

If you don't know about something you really should say nothing about it... but then I could counter by saying that you are named after the world's best known Nazi sympathiser, but that would be an untruth and might cause offence to some.

Uh, NO. What made you jump to that conclusion? I'm a big fan of McCarthy and I think the people who have given him a hard time are absolute low-lifes. I don't however agree that they are racists. That word is tossed about far too freely in my view.

Apologies - bad mood yesterday!

Rangers are not, and never have been, a Protestant club. They have been an anti-Catholic and anti-Irish club though.

Celtic fans hate Protestants? Prove it, I bet you can't. Show me a video from Youtube of Celtic fans in Celtic Park singing an anti-Protestant song. Actually show me a video of Celtic fans at ANY soccer ground singing any anti-Protestant song.

I'll save you the trouble... Celtic fans don't have any anti-Protestant songs so you won't be able to find any. Celtic fans actually sing songs in support of famous Protestants in our clubs past, I know many many Protestant Celtic fans. Celtic fans, in general, couldn;t care less what religion anyone is (yes we do have a few idiots who do though). I have never heard a negative comment about anyone's religion at a Celtic match.

If you don't know about something you really should say nothing about it... but then I could counter by saying that you are named after the world's best known Nazi sympathiser, but that would be an untruth and might cause offence to some.

I know loads of Celtic fans that shout 'Sein fein (sp), IRA' in the middle of 'The Fields Of Athenry'.

There is a guy selling very republican badges on the street outside Celtic Park, he has a brisk trade.

Many people support Celtic because they see it as a way of showing their anti protestant anti unionist feelings

Stop fooling yourself that Celtic fans are some sort of altruistic group who consider all gods children as equals, and love all gods children equally, they do it their s**te.

Oh and by the way you are thinking of Pius XII.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

I know loads of Celtic fans that shout 'Sein fein (sp), IRA' in the middle of 'The Fields Of Athenry'.

There is a guy selling very republican badges on the street outside Celtic Park, he has a brisk trade..

He said anti-protestant.....
    Many people support Celtic because they see it as a way of showing their anti protestant anti unionist feelings

I have a season ticket for Parkhead and I have yet to meet one.

If I were to say all Liverpool fans support murder because they stuck with their side after heysel, how long would I last here? But its ok to make outrageous generalisations about Celtic based on the voices in Benedicts head? Are the mods asleep?

The Irish are a nation, not a race. Why is this a concept you find so difficult to grasp? Race and nationality are two different things. I share a common nationality with a black man born in Ireland but not a common race as he is a different skin colour to me. This of course is in the world of common sense and not the world of 'let's get pedantic for a laugh'.

you are accusing me of pedantry? :eek:

Race and nationalty in many cases are the same. Many argue that Irish is not a nation at all due to partition. I suggest you do some basic research on ethno-politics and the sociology behind them before you make a bigger fool of yourself.

• Advertisement

I have a season ticket for Parkhead and I have yet to meet one

You, like other Celtic fans are in denial and going around with you head in the sand

You, like other Celtic fans are in denial and going around with you head in the sand

So prove us wrong! Answer BS81's question. Is there any evidence of any sectarian singing or chanting from the Celtic support? You have made the allegation, you should back it up. In fact, on most sites the mods would insist you do....

So prove us wrong! Answer BS81's question. Is there any evidence of any sectarian singing or chanting from the Celtic support? You have made the allegation, you should back it up. In fact, on most sites the mods would insist you do....

I'll bring a camcorder to the pub the next time the Celtic fans start singing

I'll bring a camcorder to Celtic park and record the people buying the IRA badges off the guy on the street outside the ground before they go into the game.

I'll bring a camcorder to Celtic park and record the people buying the IRA badges off the guy on the street outside the ground before they go into the game.

...and still you can't back up your accusations.

either back them up or retract the statement.

You said that a majority of Celtic fans hate Protestants, a very serious allegation, now back it up or retract it. If its a majority of fans it should be very easy to back it up.

Oh and by the way you are thinking of Pius XII.

No I'm not.

Benedict XVI enrolled in Hitler Youth in 1941.

You alledged anti-Protestant sectarianism amongst the majority of Celtic's support. Not Republicanism.

Back up your allegation.

You alledged anti-Protestant sectarianism amongst the Celtic support. Not Republicanism.

Back up your allegation.

He didn't merely allege it, he said that the majority of Celtic fans are anti-Protestant.

No I'm not.

Benedict XVI enrolled in Hitler Youth in 1941.
    isn't it true that he did not have a choice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭rovingrover

You alledged anti-Protestant sectarianism amongst the majority of Celtic's support. Not Republicanism.

Back up your allegation.

I wouldn't agree with the majoirty bit.

Surely chanting support for an organisation that slaughtered over a thousand protestants is about as anti protestant sectarian as you get.

UVF chants from Rangers supporters is anti RC sectarianism too.

Surely chanting support for an organisation that slaughtered over a thousand protestants is about as anti protestant sectarian as you get.

First of all, Republican singing and chanting is long gone from Parkhead.

While not a SF man, I do not accept the argument that the organisation in question did what it did out of sectarian motivations. Many protestants were members of the IRA over the years.

He has alledged that most Celtic fans are anti-prostestant bigots. He needs to back that up, and simply saying that there are Republicans amongst the Celtic support is nowhere near good enough.

• Advertisement

The UVF claimed that Catholics were part of the pan-nationalist front and were therefore legitimate targets.

In general IRA targets were not singled out due to their religion. Bar a couple of very dark and despicable deeds the IRA were not waging a similar sectarian war. Many many great Republicans were Protestants. In my eyes somebody who is anti-Protestant cannot call themselves a Republican. Anyway, this debate is for another thread, I just wanted to comment on your specific post.

The floor awaits you Benedict XVI... either back up your statement or retract it.

First of all, Republican singing and chanting is long gone from Parkhead.

While not a SF man, I do not accept the argument that the organisation in question did what it did out of sectarian motivations. Many protestants were members of the IRA over the years.

He has alledged that most Celtic fans are anti-prostestant bigots. He needs to back that up, and simply saying that there are Republicans amongst the Celtic support is nowhere near good enough.

It's not gone from away games.

While terrorism in Northern Ireland during the troubles was more politically motivated than sectarian there was clearly a sectarian element to both sides. Try telling northern protestants that the IRA weren't sectarian.

It's not gone from away games.

While terrorism in Northern Ireland during the troubles was more politically motivated than sectarian there was clearly a sectarian element to both sides. Try telling northern protestants that the IRA weren't sectarian.

Its another debate for another day, but I would strongly argue against the notion that Republicanism is sectarian.

Benedict needs to back his allegation up.

Try telling northern protestants that the IRA weren't sectarian.

Try telling northern Protestants that Catholics are equal to them!

That's my last comment on this - Start a thread on the appropriate forum and I'll debate with you pal no bother!

No white smoke coming from Benedict yet!

Its another debate for another day, but I would strongly argue against the notion that Republicanism is sectarian.

Indeed - my great grandfather was a member of the IRA back in the day, 1916, GPO era and he never had an issue with protestants, purely wanted an Ireland free from British rule.

He later became a Minister for Defence and President of the FAI.

Is Loyalism sectarian then?

Loyalism sees Catholics as part of the pan-nationalist front and therefore they are legitimate targets.

Have this in the appropriate forum mate, it's detracting from the proper issue at hand here.

Not by definition, but it manifested itself in sectarian murder and visceral anti-catholicism.

None of this has anything to do with Benedicts claims that most Celtic fans are anti-protestant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

so, james mcCarthy, eh lads?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

you are accusing me of pedantry? :eek:

Race and nationalty in many cases are the same.

Many argue that Irish is not a nation at all due to partition. I suggest you do some basic research on ethno-politics and the sociology behind them before you make a bigger fool of yourself.

As I said previously, race and nationality are not one and the same in our case. The fact you failed to take me up on that point, and instead rattled off terms you no doubt stayed up on Wikipedia all last night to find, suggests to me that you now realise that.

PS I study history and politics so I don't need lectures on the subject from you. I do however admire your attempt to be patronising and condescending when you are simply talking out of your arse.

I'm done going over this with you as your ability to grasp an opposing viewpoint is almost as bad as your overall attitude. Almost.

My opinions are based on experiences of seeing Celtic fans all over the world and being to Celtic Park.

I believe there is a ‘sectarian’ element amongst of Celtic ‘fans’ that hate Protestants, unionists, Brits, Loyalists, and it’s a fairly big element.

I also think that other Celtic fans who do not believe that there is a sectarian element to the Celtic support are deluding themselves.
    They say that it is ‘rivalry’ rather than sectarianism and that the fans who exhibit this sectarianism are not ‘real fans’, but to me they are just as into the Celtic culture as the rest of the Celtic fans.

Not by definition, but it manifested itself in sectarian murder and visceral anti-catholicism.

None of this has anything to do with Benedicts claims that most Celtic fans are anti-protestant.

And Republicanism is not sectarian by definition, but it manifested itself in sectarian murder and visceral anti-protestantism.

As I said previously, race and nationality are not one and the same in our case. The fact you failed to take me up on that point, and instead rattled off terms you no doubt stayed up on Wikipedia all last night to find, suggests to me that you now realise that.

PS I study history and politics so I don't need lectures on the subject from you. I do however admire your attempt to be patronising and condescending when you are simply talking out of your arse.

I'm done going over this with you as your ability to grasp an opposing viewpoint is almost as bad as your overall attitude. Almost.

As I suspected, you study, I have a masters degree in.

Nationality and race are not mutually exclusive terms in general. How have I 'failed to take you up on that point'? Irish is a recognised ethic group, as anyone who has taken part in a census in the US or Britain or most EU states. There is an Irish state as well, which also makes it a nationality, but matters are confused somewhat by the amount of ethnic Irish living in Ireland who are not part of the Irish nation. You are the one who has 'failed' to argue any of that.

But this inane prattle from you about whether the abuse is technically xenophobia rather than racism is somewhat pointless seeing as you acknowledge that it should not be happening.

Kids wha'? I blame Bebo

And Republicanism is not sectarian by definition, but it manifested itself in sectarian murder and visceral anti-protestantism.

Can you please provide an example of this "visceral anti-protestantism"?

My opinions are based on experiences of seeing Celtic fans all over the world and being to Celtic Park.

I believe there is a ‘sectarian’ element amongst of Celtic ‘fans’ that hate Protestants, unionists, Brits, Loyalists, and it’s a fairly big element.

I also think that other Celtic fans who do not believe that there is a sectarian element to the Celtic support are deluding themselves.
    They say that it is ‘rivalry’ rather than sectarianism and that the fans who exhibit this sectarianism are not ‘real fans’, but to me they are just as into the Celtic culture as the rest of the Celtic fans.

One last time before it goes to the mods.

Can you provide any examples whatsoever of this 'big element' hating Protestants. Just one. A song, a chant, anything.

• Advertisement

Can you please provide an example of this "visceral anti-protestantism"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingsmill_massacre

One last time before it goes to the mods.

Can you provide any examples whatsoever of this 'big element' hating Protestants. Just one. A song, a chant, anything.

Thank you for proving that you are one of the deluded apologists

and when was the last time you heard a song about the South Armagh Republican Action Force at a Celtic game?

Thank you for proving that you are one of the deluded apologists

Deluded? Moi? :D

Yet again, where is your proof that Celtic fans are 'anti-protestant'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

ziggy wrote: »

Ah now come on Ziggy, i think we all know that logic doesnt apply when it comes to the West of Scotland.

In general terms, republicanism does not mean anti-protestant, unfortunately due to the ingrained issues in Scotland we all know that certain uneducated members of the public, from both sides of the divide will use it as an excuse.

This is all im going to say on this matter TBH, because its not the time or place for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

PS I study history and politics so I don't need lectures on the subject from you.
    As I suspected, you study, I have a masters degree in.

Well my willy is bigger than yours and i say that your both wrong so there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

So did McCarthy get much abuse at Ibrox on Tuesday? I know it was on Setanta but I didn't get a chance to watch it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

Give us a bit of proof then. You said the majority of Celtic fans are anti-Protestant, now retract it or prove it.

There must be some anti-Protestant songs we sing... after all you've been to Celtic Park and all around the world, surely you can provide some sort of proof?

So did McCarthy get much abuse at Ibrox on Tuesday? I know it was on Setanta but I didn't get a chance to watch it

Didn't see it either but apparently not. There was an announcement over the tannoy at the start of the game asking the fans to hide their racism for 90 minutes.

I am sooooo regretting the huns not qualifying for Europe this year - UEFA would slaughter them.

In Celtic's away game against Kilmarnock last night it was great to hear the Celtic fans sing James McCarthy's name for a prolonged period.

In Celtic's away game against Kilmarnock last night it was great to hear the Celtic fans sing James McCarthy's name for a prolonged period.

PMSL, once again Celtic fans pick up a cause which isnt theirs and claim it as some sort of moral victory over "Der Hun".

Why in gods name would you sing out his name?
    He doesnt play for Celtic, has never played for Celtic.

Oh, thats right....Rangers fans are in a wee bit of bother for giving him abuse (unlike St Mirren fans for some reason) so its a grand opportunity to let the world know how much better the Celtic suport is.

A bit pathetic really if you ask me.

Eirebear wrote: »

A bit pathetic really if you ask me.

Well you fellas do prefer to racially abuse him so I thought you might say something along these lines.

Well you fellas do prefer to racially abuse him so I thought you might say something along these lines.

There has been a few Hearts players recieve abuse last season after the Lithuania Scotland game....did yous sing out their names too?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Eirebear wrote: »
    There has been a few Hearts players recieve abuse last season after the Lithuania Scotland game....did yous sing out their names too?
    Don't be silly :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement