Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RCBO are there worth it

• 05-10-2008 2:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

Hi
    I am about to get my consummer unit fitted next week and it was wondering is it worth having my four ring main circuit protected by RCBOs instead or RCD. Is there much of a cost difference between RCBO and RCD

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

I am unsure of the exact price now, but last time I bought them it was about €30 for an RCBO and €5 for an MCB. You will require 4 RCBOs so about €120 instead of 1 RCD and 4 MCBs €50. The difference is only €70. One of the advantages of the RCBOs is that if the RCD operates instead of loosing all of the sockets in the house you will only loose 1 circuit. This can be very important if you are worried about loosing data on your PC. Some appliances under normal and safe operation increase the chances of your RCD "nuisance tripping". By splitting up the circuits with more RCDs you reduce the chance of this. Appliances with switched mode power supplies (such as PCs and other computer equipment) would be an example of this type of equipment. It also makes fault finding far simpler.

If I were you I would go for the RCBO option, but I am a bit of an anorak for that sort of thing! Having said that I have just 1 RCD in my house at the moment and I have 2 laptops and one PC and never a problem!

Note: For a domestic premises a 32A "B type" RCBO with 30mA operation would be normal. I am saying 32A because you said your circuits are ring. There is nothing wrong with 4 ring circuits, but it is not normal. Are you sure they are all ring and not radial?

How much extra is it??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 odonoso

There are ring circuits we have over 60 double sockets. it was small bit of a over kill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭SparKing

i just checked a docket I got from a wholesaler in Galway and I got a GE 32amp B type RCBO in May for €20. I think they were selling Merlin Gerin ones in Eastern Electrical for €15 recently, So that makes it €80 as opposed to €50, negligible really. Well worth putting RCBOs in, avoids a lot of unnecessary nuisance trips, 60 sockets is a lot for one RCD for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

I got from a wholesaler in Galway and I got a GE 32amp B type RCBO in May for €20
    That sounds good! I have not bought them in a few years so my memory on price is not always that great!! At €20 I would 100% go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

they're a good idea on the larger houses esp. where there can be callbacks to sort out nuisance problems .a 'clean line' and rcbo is handy for the pc as already said

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

yes on bigger houses its a great idea, it definitely reduces the small amount of leakage on properly operating circuit devices adding up on a single rcd when the circuits are each on their own rcd`s like was said already. If the option is there to do it, then go with RCBO`s even if bit dearer

Advertisement