Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegan who doesnt really care about animals

Options
  • 05-10-2008 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

hey, I became vegan three years ago, after being vegetarian for one year, mainly because i believed in animal rights and caring more for the environment and also my health.

These days I dont care much for radical thinking and I believe if I owned a farm I could willfully breed animals for consumption, as long as I cared for them best I could. I have no problem with the thought of having small amounts of dairy or even meat in my diet as long as I control how it is reared.

However my lifestyle and bank balance doesnt let even come close to this at the moment and I remain vegan because I like how it makes me feel, energy-wise and in general.Anyone else feel the same?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

I remain vegan because I like how it makes me feel, energy-wise and in general.Anyone else feel the same?

I think it would be unusual to be vegan for entirely selfish reasons... let's see if anyone here is on your wavelength.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

I have heard of a vegetarian (here?) that did it because s/he hated animals and so hated the idea of eating them..slightly bizarre..

My boyf is vegan but its for completely altruistic & biospheric reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

taconnol wrote: »
    I have heard of a vegetarian (here?) that did it because s/he hated animals and so hated the idea of eating them..slightly bizarre..

I have that on my bebo "I don't love animals, I just really hate plants"
    I remain vegan because I like how it makes me feel, energy-wise and in general.Anyone else feel the same?

Yup, me too. While I wouldn't say I don't give a toss about animal rights, I probably don't give two tosses. The primary reason for my veganism is health reasons, if I felt that I'd be healthier, more energetic etc eating dairy and eggs then I would. But, I know from experience that I feel best on a diet made up of plants. So ya, I'm vegan for selfish reasons. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭electrofilth

wow-wee! Thats cool, cause I dont know many vegans, and its nice to hear someone with a similar perspective! Last year I got a bit bored with the lack of variety in food of a vegan diet so I chanced eating cheese, butter and a bit of eggs again.Didnt enjoy them much at all! Came out in wierd rashes too. I mean, pizza of course was nice but I always felt *bleuh* afterwards. So a few months later, I went back to being vegan again, and now I love it more than ever, and dont have the urge to stray anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

These days I dont care much for radical thinking and I believe if I owned a farm I could willfully breed animals for consumption, as long as I cared for them best I could. I have no problem with the thought of having small amounts of dairy or even meat in my diet as long as I control how it is reared.
    Was thinking about this last week actually. I figure if the animal was raised well, fed good things, not pumped with drugs etc and slaughtered humanly I could possibly, maybe one day eat some meat again. Then I looked at a sausage and felt sick so maybe not :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Could I be one of the only vegetarians in the country with a hunting rifle?

I dunno, ask some PETA members. Probably one of em has a rifle for punishing specist crimes and what not

I'm contemplating farming beef.
    I could never ever eat it though. Yurrghh!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Yeah, I became vegetarian because of how meat is farmed, not because I had a problem eating the animal.

This has changed over a while, now the thought of eating an animal sickens me. But if I was to eat meat, I would choose something like phesant or rabbit caught by my dad that day, having lived a natural life and with no contemplation of it's death. Unlike those poor animals in the lorries, hours journey, terrified, smelling death. Jesus it's horrible to think of. I get very upset whenever I pass one of those lorries, a pig made eye contact with me once and I bawled my whole way home. :rolleyes: He looked so scared and intelligent.

Just noticed that the sheep and lambs on the field in front of my house are gone. :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

No I'm certainly not one of those health reason people, I can't imagine being vegan for health reasons, maybe veggie. But if it was just for health I'd probably eat meat now and again.

• Advertisement

Just noticed that the sheep and lambs on the field in front of my house are gone. :(

Nobody likes mutton in this country so the sheep are still alive, if they bred.
    Lets ignore the fate of the hoggets though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

I became veggie completely for moral reasons anyway. I find it weird when people presume I became vegetarian because "I dont like meat". :confused: I mean, I loved meat.

I do agree definitely on how, the way the animal was raised and treated is more an issue than eating an animal. But then again, I still believe the animal has a right to life.

;)

As for the rest of the post, yes the factory farming of animals specifically for killing and eating is pretty brutal, but honestly one of my most negative reactions to meat eating happened a couple of years ago when I was over at a friends house for dinner, they were all eating pork, grand. Then one of then goes "I think I got Lily, this is really sweet" and my friend goes "Hmmm, I have Phil I think, this is a bit tough" and the youngest child there started to cry. They'd slaughtered, cooked and eaten a couple of pigs having raised them more or less as pets since infancy
    :eek: <<<my face

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Inglorious

Nothing wrong with choosing veganism purely on health grounds. It's certainly odd, but isn't hurting anyone (on the contrary actually).
    I'm more on the ethics side of the fence, but I can definitely see where you're coming from.

On the whole method of farming issue, it doesn't carry all that much weight in my opinion. Sure, industrial farming is awful, but I'd still be a vegan even if the meat was all sourced organically. Just because you permit the animal to live a relatively pleasant life, doesn't change the fact that you are murdering it.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭electrofilth

to inglorious: what about if you "adopted" animals that would otherwise be treated badly and brought them up on your own farm humanely and then killed them in an instant with no pain? Or even killed them in old age for consumption? or would you eat an animal that had to be "put down" to be put out its misery? just some curious questions, thats all.

also, how do you feel about animals being reared for meat in isolated tribal societes? or eskimos and seals? the maasai tribe in kenya who drink cows blood daily and also eat the flesh? do you think this is "murder" or is it justified? where do you draw the line? if you have a spiritual relationship with the animal does that justify you "murdering" it for its flesh?

I used to be on the "ethics" side of the fence, but reason changed how I looked at the whole thing. n

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Inglorious

It strikes me as being the lesser of two evils. Sure a humane farm would be a lot more pleasant for the animal but I'd still avoid it. It might sound more appealing to kill animals in a nice way but I don't see why they should be killed in the first place.
    If I had to "put down" my dog, I wouldn't then eat the corpse. I wouldn't view farm animals any differently.

Isolated tribal societies are a different story altogether. Eating meat for survival is very much different to eating it for pleasure. No, I don't see anything wrong with that at all. I'm sure I'd eat meat if I was in such a scenario.

Advertisement