Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overcrowded Cork South Ring Road?

Options
  • 05-10-2008 4:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭

Just came out of the tunnel a half an hour ago (it's a Sunday afternoon) and the traffic on the SRR was unbelievable. The ramps leading to and from Mahon Point (I despise that horrible place) were jammed as usual, with tailbacks spilling back several hundred meters.

Relative to its size, from the Sarsfield Roundabout to the Mahon ramp, the SRR must be almost as busy as the M50. It does its job quite well considering it's fairly old, cracked in places and has no shoulder around Douglas.

What upgrades would you make to this road?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Close down Mahon point shopping centre and torch the whole thing. That is a desperate traffic generator and whoever approved it should be shot.

I'd fully upgrade Dunkettle to freeflow, do the Sarsfield Road and Bandon Road upgrades. Then I'd slap motorway restrictions on the whole thing to get tractors, cyclists and other **** off it. 100kmh limit from Bandon Rd Roundabout to Kinsale Road Roundabout and 80kmh from Kinsale Road Roundabout to Mahon Point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

Close down Mahon point shopping centre and torch the whole thing. That is a desperate traffic generator and whoever approved it should be shot.

I'd fully upgrade Dunkettle to freeflow, do the Sarsfield Road and Bandon Road upgrades. Then I'd slap motorway restrictions on the whole thing to get tractors, cyclists and other **** off it. 100kmh limit from Bandon Rd Roundabout to Kinsale Road Roundabout and 80kmh from Kinsale Road Roundabout to Mahon Point.

Yea the junction going into Mahon Point is a disaster and often overflows into the South Ring Road. How, in this day and age, they didn't forsee that hapenning is beyond me.

Another lane wouldn't go amiss near the Douglas exits, but I don't think there is any easy way of doing that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

Sounds very bad for a Sunday afternoon. Usually wouldn't be that bad.

A few things to do though.

1. Fully free flow junction for the Dunkettle Interchange. This is an absolute must. Traffic goes back as far as the Rochestown Park Hotel for 30 minutes each evening

2. Flyovers for both the Sarsfield and Bandon Road roundabouts.

3. Signs everywhere to tell people to stay in the inside lane when driving. People driving in the overtaking lane causes havoc on the SRR. It is the worst stretch of road in Ireland for it happening.

4. Widen the overpass over douglas to ensure 3 lanes both way between the Mahon junction and the Kinsale Round Roundabout. May be difficult to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Sounds very bad for a Sunday afternoon. Usually wouldn't be that bad.

A few things to do though.

1. Fully free flow junction for the Dunkettle Interchange. This is an absolute must. Traffic goes back as far as the Rochestown Park Hotel for 30 minutes each evening

2. Flyovers for both the Sarsfield and Bandon Road roundabouts.

3. Signs everywhere to tell people to stay in the inside lane when driving. People driving in the overtaking lane causes havoc on the SRR. It is the worst stretch of road in Ireland for it happening.

4. Widen the overpass over douglas to ensure 3 lanes both way between the Mahon junction and the Kinsale Round Roundabout. May be difficult to do.

I fully agree with your point 3. I don't know what it is about that road, but people on the inside often chug along well below the speed limit causing faster drivers to hog the over-taking lane. Dangerous and rapid bunching then occurs whenever there's a tractor or cyclist on the road (which, bizarrely, there often is).

Furet wrote: »
    I fully agree with your point 3. I don't know what it is about that road, but people on the inside often chug along well below the speed limit causing faster drivers to hog the over-taking lane. Dangerous and rapid bunching then occurs whenever there's a tractor or cyclist on the road (which, bizarrely, there often is).

Indeed. Motorway restrictions are needed badly. Madness for any cyclist to be on that road.

There's enough people chugging around in the overtaking lane at 80kph blissfully unaware that there's a line of traffic behind them too.

• Advertisement

Indeed. Motorway restrictions are needed badly. Madness for any cyclist to be on that road.

There's enough people chugging around in the overtaking lane at 80kph blissfully unaware that there's a line of traffic behind them too.

Yesterday I saw two gob****es (a man and a woman) wheeling their bicycles on the SRR over the Douglas bridge, which has NO HARD SHOULDER. They should have been arrested. Similarly, tractors are a huge hazard during busy times. I know they are technically allowed to use it, but tractor drivers with even a modicum of sense should avoid it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

I agree with all the previous posts.

The mahon point exit...

I just want them to blow it up and start again because it's a catastrophe. You can be anywhere from half-an-hour to an hour sitting on those god-awful slip roads.

As for the rest of it... yes... complete the SRR upgrades and the get the motorway restrictions on it as quickly as possible.

As for good ol' Dunkettle. Free-flow would be nice. But I honestly don't know how they're gonna do it...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

+1

BluntGuy wrote: »

The mahon point exit...

I just want them to blow it up and start again because it's a catastrophe. You can be anywhere from half-an-hour to an hour sitting on those god-awful slip roads.

As for the rest of it... yes... complete the SRR upgrades and the get the motorway restrictions on it as quickly as possible.

As for good ol' Dunkettle. Free-flow would be nice. But I honestly don't know how they're gonna do it...

Can you check the wiki m8 discussions page Bluntguy, I have a suggestion and would like your opinion.

It is possible. Would take a bit of work. Someone on here before drew a map to scale of how it could be done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Forget the M50 the SR encapsulates from start to finish everything that has been wrong with official policy over the past 20 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

The SRR is great more times than the M50 but......(and I may repeat what ahas already been said)
    First problem is the Dunkettle interchange. Its prehistoric for a recent build, but it looks like the team behind the N25 never spoke to the team behind the JL Tunnell and SRR. It causes woefully unneccessary congestion at peak hours.
    While the old Kinsale road roundabout was identified as a critical problem and upgraded, the other roundabouts are now making a laughing stock of much of the SRR. I mean how daft does it look to drive from the tunnell, all is well over the Kinsale road and then whack, it turns back into a 70s style dualer through a housing estate. Onwards we go and suddenly we round Ballincollig on a HQDC! Bizzare, but its not in the M50 league or even close, in terms of problems. Take out every at grade junction from the N25 onwards and we're in business.

As for Mahon Point....Im not from Cork, only there regularly, so I didn't witness it today. From descriptions, its sounds like the regular Sunday set up at Liffey Valley and Blanchardstown SC in Dublin. As much as we like to blame the road design, we should add in the horrendous public transport, disasterous rersidential planning and the Irishmans love affair with the car. We can upgrade this already grade seperated junction at Mahon Point by pouring even more concret into it, but why? In similar sized cities in the UK, there are 100s of Mahon Points beside roads like the SRR and Ive never witnessed what I witness in thois country. Sunday seems to now be the day to shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

Forget the M50 the SR encapsulates from start to finish everything that has been wrong with official policy over the past 20 years.

Yup.

Dunnes next to the Bandon Road roundabout, Woodies and Harvey Norman next to the Kinsale roundabout, and Dunnes and Tesco in Douglas next to the SRR, and then Mahon Point smack bang on the SRR.

The SRR is the new Pana.

I smell the smell of something brown. In the shape of an envelope.

What's the point of upgrading the road? Some moron in the county council will just take advantage of it to build some new shopping centre next to it. Or some new sprawling estate that spills straight onto the SRR.

The road was built with taxpayers money to serve the people, but it has only been used to enrich developers.

Yup.

Dunnes next to the Bandon Road roundabout, Woodies and Harvey Norman next to the Kinsale roundabout, and Dunnes and Tesco in Douglas next to the SRR, and then Mahon Point smack bang on the SRR.

The SRR is the new Pana.

I smell the smell of something brown. In the shape of an envelope.

What's the point of upgrading the road? Some moron in the county council will just take advantage of it to build some new shopping centre next to it. Or some new sprawling estate that spills straight onto the SRR.

The road was built with taxpayers money to serve the people, but it has only been used to enrich developers.

Agreed.

That is why I'm glad the NRA is requesting motorway restrictions to be put on many of its roads.

The mahon point exit...

Scroll down on this link to Victor's second post and see his attachments for two possible Dunkettle freeflow interchanges: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055324603&highlight=Dunkettle

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

jimbo78 wrote: »
    Yea the junction going into Mahon Point is a disaster and often overflows into the South Ring Road. How, in this day and age, they didn't forsee that hapenning is beyond me.

Another lane wouldn't go amiss near the Douglas exits, but I don't think there is any easy way of doing that

You'd have to replace the flyover bridges in Douglas with wider bridges.

There is a possibility of building an exit slip from the westbound carriageway to near the Douglas Court SC, but it would require taking land from the shopping centre and even then might be too close to existing buildings.

If it was possible to build this exit slip, it would allow westbound traffic to exit for Douglas without having to travel along the Rochestown Road or down the Skehard/Well Roads.

That might relieve some of the pressure on the Mahon Point/Rochestown exits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

Furet wrote: »
    Scroll down on this link to Victor's second post and see his attachments for two possible Dunkettle freeflow interchanges: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055324603&highlight=Dunkettle

thanks for this, here is the direct link to the post: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=56573886&postcount=12

does anyone have any data for which movements happen the most? ie. is the tunnel to/from N8 the biggest traffic producer or isit the N25 east/west etc.
    ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

Mahon Point was developed by one Owen O'Callaghan. And we now know how he manages to win friends and influence people.

And are the people of Cork (or anywhere else in this country) going to turf out those who were the recipients of his largesse, and the perpetrators of criminally bad planning like this? Of course not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

I've always wondered what would happen in a scenario where there was an emergency in Mahon Point during peak times. How would a fire engine or an ambulance get to it? The roads are 100% bumper to bumper.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Typewriter

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055406087

I just saw this thread in the Cork forum. Going to pick someone up from the airport later so ill check this out for sure.

• Advertisement

Are they sure this has happened?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Rebeller

jimbo78 wrote: »

Ask Mr. O' Callaghan

The Mahon Point exit is torture and an upgrade to free-flow would be incredibly expensive, time-consuming and disruptive.

Yes. And I'm not in favour of helping the fruits of dodgy planning to grow even fruitier. As it is, a lot of people probably don't go to Mahon Point because of the traffic. Making this freeflow would only encourage more cars to drive to the awful place, and would enrich and embolden the developers.

If a freeflow junction were to be built, the developers should foot the bill (untolled). No such junction should be constructed, however. Much more frequent and faster public transport is the answer to this existing problem (of course the best solution would be to flatten Mahon Point. I'm all in favour of some iconoclasm when it comes to these so called 'cathedrals of consumerism' - and monuments to bad planning).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

I'd be 100% in favour of demolishing the lot (except maybe B&Q which is useful).

Having the Ballincollig bypass (and Dunkettle-Carrigtwohill) as 120kmh is idiotic IMO without motorway restrictions. Sure, lets have tractors mixed with 120kmh traffic. I hope theres a third tranche of motorway reclassification.

Actually, thinking about it yesterday, the whole of the South Ring shoud be motorway really. If the Athlone bypass gets it, give it to the South Ring, but keep the 100kmh limit, or even 80kmh between Kinsale Rd and Mahon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

I live in Dublin (Blanchardstown) but am a regular visitor to Mahon. The traffic there is pretty chronic alright and reminds me of Blanchardstown. Having one lane turning left and one lane turning right for cars going into Mahon Point is just a disaster from both directions. Given the size of the shopping centre and the exapanding population of Cork the planners must have realised that traffic would be absolutely chronic with the roads they way they are. Another issue is that it leads to risk taking on the roads and inevitable collisions..

There have been roadworks going on for years now on the M50 & more recently on the N3 so expect the same for the N25 because after 12 years now since the Blanchardstown shopping centre opened the money has been spent on roadworks trying to sort out the mess. If the metro ever gets built that would help a lot but a rail connection should have been put in at the start, similarly, there should be a rail connection to Mahon Point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

I'd be 100% in favour of demolishing the lot (except maybe B&Q which is useful).

Having the Ballincollig bypass (and Dunkettle-Carrigtwohill) as 120kmh is idiotic IMO without motorway restrictions. Sure, lets have tractors mixed with 120kmh traffic. I hope theres a third tranche of motorway reclassification.

Actually, thinking about it yesterday, the whole of the South Ring shoud be motorway really. If the Athlone bypass gets it, give it to the South Ring, but keep the 100kmh limit, or even 80kmh between Kinsale Rd and Mahon.

Motorway restrictions are a good idea, but I'd put an 80 km/hr limit all the way from Mahon to the Greyhound stadium, for noise pollution reasons.

There should be proper sound barriers erected as well, and low-noise road surfacing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Anyone have AADTs for the South Ring itself? the NRA has counters at the Tunnel and the Ballincollig BP. Would be very interesting to compare and contrast numbers for the older sections of the SRR against numbers for proposed schemes deemed more important then the SRR & Midleton/Carrigtwohill N25 upgrades.

Damn it, they'd want to get a move on with those schemes to stop the N25 (or M25 as the case should be) becoming an M50.

• Advertisement

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055406087

I just saw this thread in the Cork forum. Going to pick someone up from the airport later so ill check this out for sure.

Confirmed. Ludricous to have this at 120 km/h when motorway restrictions don't apply. I passed two cyclists there.

Advertisement