Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most Expensive Pub in Dublin just got worse!

Options
  • 05-10-2008 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭

http://www.independent.ie/national-n...from=dailynews

Sindo wrote:

By John O'Keeffe

Sunday October 05 2008

What a difference a few minutes can make -- that's if you're having a drink in one of the capital's best known late-night bars.

Cafe en Seine, a well-known haunt of politicians and socialites on Dawson Street on the south side of Dublin's city centre, suddenly puts up its prices at 11pm -- and most of the drinkers don't even know.

The pub operates a policy of raising the cost of its drinks at 11pm by over 12 per cent.

When I dropped in for a drink last Thursday a pint of Heineken and a bottle of sparkling water cost €9 at 10.25pm.

But just over half an hour later -- at 11.03pm precisely -- the price rose to €10.10. That's an increase of €1.10.

Recently, Ireland's most famous superpub also introduced a weekend cover charge of €10. This charge is now being levied in addition to the varying drink prices in the pub, depending on the time of the evening you might buy your tipple.

Last week it was reported that thousands of jobs have been lost in the drinks industry over the past seven years because of pub closures. Organisations representing publicans around the country say figures show that 1,500 pubs have closed since 2001, blaming taxes on alcohol, the growth of home drinking and declining consumption of alcohol.

Publicans are now calling for a zero tax increase on alcohol in the forthcoming Budget to save the struggling pub trade.

Up to last year, Cafe en Seine was considered to be one of the pubs with the highest footfall in Dublin. From Wednesday to Saturday each week anecdotal evidence suggested it was standing room only after 10pm -- assuming that you were lucky enough to get in.

Free-spending drinkers and high-rolling revellers have ensured that the superpub in Dawson Street is still successfully fighting off the grim economic news from just across the road in Dail Eireann.

Accounts recently filed for Toji Holdings Ltd, the holding company of the O'Dwyer Brothers' Capital Bars chain, which includes Cafe en Seine, reveals that turnover rose to €60.3m in 2007 from €40.3m on the previous year.

But sales in its bars to July were said to be "flat", which may go some way to explaining the introduction of a cover charge and increased prices after 11pm.

No one for Capital Bars was available to discuss its policy of increasing drink prices after 11pm.

Bad enough slipping in a nice litte price hike after 11pm when people have a few pints on them but now they want a tenner to get into the bin ! Best of luck with that lads

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

<SNIP>
    If more people blanked this sort of place they'd soon cop themselves on.
    A friend was in Thomas read's last night and they were charging 6.30 a pint!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Degsy wrote: »
    <SNIP>

FFS! Great way to pull the punters in :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

As my mother would say "It's not half dear enough" (i.e. - if people are willing to pay those prices, then they deserve it!)

Cafe en Seine was considered to be one of the pubs with the highest footfall in Dublin.
    I would think that the high footfall may be because people are having one and leaving!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

Jeez lads, it's bad enough being greedy when times were good but being greedy when times are bad....This place deserves to go under if the carry on like this. Feel sorry for the bar staff really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Thats nothing new with pubs putting up prices after 11pm. Its usually the ones with late licences and/or attached to nightclubs that do it rather than your down to earth local bar.

Thought Danadelion bar was the most expensive?. I've never been in Cafe En Seine and don't plan to :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

I hate that place more than any other pub in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

Sad to hear that. Thomas Reads used to be my favourite pub in Dublin, not anymore.

That's taking the piss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Used to always go here but haven't been in a few months now and no big loss. Didn't know they were charging a tenner in now. All the more reason not to bother with it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

<SNIP>
    HUH! Which one? And a pint of what? I frequent the Globe a bit and that's holding steady at 4.20 a pint of Guinness. The Globe is owned by Thomas Reads.

Haven't been in cafe en in few weeks and I think it'll be a while before I go back what with that tenner charge. Asthetically beautiful pub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

As somebody said as long as people are prepared to pay those prices then they will continue to charge .Met at least half a dozen people in last few weeks who have come back from dublin / ireland saying how dear the pint is and how expensive the place has become .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

been in it a few times usually when work was paying so never took much notice of the prices

the place was full of boat shoe lemon shirt wearing knob jockeys no idea why anyone would want to drink in the place nevermind pay those prices...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

ntlbell wrote: »
    the place was full of boat shoe lemon shirt wearing knob jockeys ..

The best description I've seen of the place! :D

Its not right.After all,a pint is only water with some alcohol and a bit of colouring thrown in.If these places were shops charging a fiver for a large slice pan they'd be burned down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

If these places were shops charging a fiver for a large slice pan they'd be burned down.

Why would they be serving large sliced pans in pubs?

But seriously folks - if anyone actually elects of their own free will to go to hellpits like Cafe En Seine then they deserve to be ripped off.

Although I'm kinda glad that they're always packed - keeps all the arseholes away from the real pubs where the smart, sensible, witty, intelligent, handsome people go.

The govt should have another Pub Price freeze like they did years ago.The Iveagh House in drumcondra completely ignored it and Bertie used to drink there.
    Poxy rip-off merchants the lot of em!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

I was in krystle recently for a leaving party-15 euro in and the price of a pin went from 5 to 6 euro at 8! Apparently its a late night charge but i doubt many people would consider 8 late? I don't think they should be charging admission and increasing drinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

cafe En Seine has charged increased prices after a certain time for years. Sounds like a journalist pissed off because he had to pay a bit extra. I don't like the pub myself tbh but amazed how many people do. By the way don't they have to have a dancefloor to be able to charge in? Can't remember there being one there but then I've only been a few times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

jdivision wrote: »
    By the way don't they have to have a dancefloor to be able to charge in?

No. Where did you hear that? If someone wants to charge in then they can, don't think there's any law saying you must have a dancefloor to charge in.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭davidsatelle100

LolaDub wrote: »
    I was in krystle recently for a leaving party-15 euro in and the price of a pin went from 5 to 6 euro at 8! Apparently its a late night charge but i doubt many people would consider 8 late? I don't think they should be charging admission and increasing drinks.

Its the same in Diceys upstairs, and it goes up to 6.50 at 10 or 11

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

Its the same in Diceys upstairs, and it goes up to 6.50 at 10 or 11

Sorry it was diceys everyone was in but it turns into krystle at some stage. It was 5 euro when people got there at 5 or 6 then at 8 it goes up to 6 so does it go to 6.50 at 10???????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

No. Where did you hear that? If someone wants to charge in then they can, don't think there's any law saying you must have a dancefloor to charge in.
    Having googled there's a thing called a dance licence, also known as a late licence. There's some stuff here about what constitutes a dance floor. Law might have changed since
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/lapdancing-clubs-caught-on-the-hop-509124.html

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

The solution is very simple. Don't go there and burn the place down. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Tbh if the pretencious prats want to drink there let them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

jdivision wrote: »
    Having googled there's a thing called a dance licence, also known as a late licence. There's some stuff here about what constitutes a dance floor. Law might have changed since
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/lapdancing-clubs-caught-on-the-hop-509124.html

Yeah they might have to have a dance floor or something that constitutes a dance floor to get a late licence but that has nothing to do with them charging in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 stehigg

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Although I'm kinda glad that they're always packed - keeps all the arseholes away from the real pubs where the smart, sensible, witty, intelligent, handsome people go.

Dont you mean the Uggers? uggers always hate Cafe en Seine because it makes them feel inadequate. true story

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Tbh if the pretencious prats want to drink there let them.

another ugger statement. dont insult people just because they make you feel inferior

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

stehigg wrote: »
    another ugger statement. dont insult people just because they make you feel inferior

Why would a guy in a lemon shirt make her feel inferior?

seriously...

ntlbell wrote: »
    Why would a guy in a lemon shirt make her feel inferior?

seriously...

why are there people raggin on them then. It would be a whole different story from the pc brigade tossers on here if you went slaggin people in The George for their ghey clothes. dont be so obnoxious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭Elem

Don't go into any capitol bars then, they are a rip off. Not only are you over paying for your drink, your getting sold crap. Cheap vodka (Huzzar), don't have stoli, grey goose or ketel one. Cheap redbull (Shark)... and just generally cheap everything. Poor poor poor GREED! If your reading O'Dwyers, your going to hell.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

stehigg wrote: »
    Dont you mean the Uggers? uggers always hate Cafe en Seine because it makes them feel inadequate. true story

I think we have ourselves 'one of them' uh-huh-uh-huh-uh-huh!

This is the sort of attitude that makes me glad people like you stay in places like Cafe En Seine. Just because somebody dislikes being overcharged and packed in beside pretentious wannabes then they're automatically an 'ugger' (nice teenage expression there Stehigg!). :rolleyes:

Advertisement