Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most Expensive Pub in Dublin just got worse!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

A person's willingness to pay daft money so that they can feel better about themsleves and the establishment they are drinking in does not make them superior to me in any shape, form or fashion.

There are plenty of nicer and more refinded place to drink which does not suffer the boorish, brash and blathering middle aged idiots that go to cafe insane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 stehigg

Thaedydal wrote: »
    A person's willingness to pay daft money so that they can feel better about themsleves and the establishment they are drinking in does not make them superior to me in any shape, form or fashion.

A persons willingness to constantly try and force their opinions on other people via internet forums because no one in the real world will listen to them makes them inferior to all socially apt people. Cue the infraction for not agreeing with the nerd moderator

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

stehigg wrote: »
    A persons willingness to constantly try and force their opinions on other people via internet forums because no one in the real world will listen to them makes them inferior to all socially apt people. Cue the infraction for not agreeing with the nerd moderator

Go on Stehigg - call her an Ugger too. :rolleyes:

You do realise of course that you're trying to force your opinion on us via an internet forum, don't you?

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Go on Stehigg - call her an Ugger too. :rolleyes:

You do realise of course that you're trying to force your opinion on us via an internet forum, don't you?

im not forcing my opinion on anyone. Just standing up for the people you believe its ok to insult because they have money and can afford to drink in places like Cafe en Seine. Like everything in life there is a level of segregation and working class people feel intimadated in a social setting such as CeS and as a result say groundless things like the people there are pretentious [EMAIL="w@nkers"]w@nkers[/EMAIL]. If you're too WC to go there stick to your own.

im not forcing my opinion on anyone. Just standing up for the people you believe its ok to insult because they have money and can afford to drink in places like Cafe en Seine. Like everything in life there is a level of segregation and working class people feel intimadated in a social setting such as CeS and as a result say groundless things like the people there are pretentious [EMAIL="w@nkers"]w@nkers[/EMAIL]. If you're too WC to go there stick to your own.

The fact that you think I'm working class because I don't like the place speaks volumes about your elitist attitude.

I'm as middle class as they come boyo and earn a very healthy salary. I just have some sense and dislike a lot of clientele and the atmosphere of those places.

So - your argument falls pretty flat now, doesn't it? I work with enough people who would be Cafe en Seine regulars and I don't feel one bit intimidated by them. I just find them irritating and always trying to appear to have more than they actually do - hence spending unneccesary amounts just for the 'privilege' of saying 'oh yeah - meet me in CeS later on man!'

Run along now! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Its a horrible place - there's not many good pubs left in the city center now.

The fact that you think I'm working class because I don't like the place speaks volumes about your elitist attitude.

I'm as middle class as they come boyo and earn a very healthy salary. I just have some sense and dislike a lot of clientele and the atmosphere of those places.

So - your argument falls pretty flat now, doesn't it? I work with enough people who would be Cafe en Seine regulars and I don't feel one bit intimidated by them. I just find them irritating and always trying to appear to have more than they actually do - hence spending unneccesary amounts just for the 'privilege' of saying 'oh yeah - meet me in CeS later on man!'

Run along now! :D

Undoubtedly your some WC office slob trying to aspire to the heights of middle class. I hope it goes well for you. Ill see ya in coppers later

Undoubtedly your some WC office slob trying to aspire to the heights of middle class. I hope it goes well for you. Ill see ya in coppers later

Nice try young fellah. Unfortunately for you I don't feel the need to try and prove myself to a troll such as yourself.

Unlike you however I know how to spell properly - must be my terribly middle class education shining through again!

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭ryoishin

Middle class lol,

I grew up in the town and now live in Castleknock. I live there now because the middle class attitude my father had to work hard to look after his family. I earn more than average and honestly it does nt matter what cash you have in your pocket or where you spend it. I like the look of Cafe en sein (sp?) but as others have said I dont like having to pose every few mins with the rest of the knobs every time they get a chance.

When it comes down to it there are just too many other places to go.

Nice try young fellah. Unfortunately for you I don't feel the need to try and prove myself to a troll such as yourself.

Unlike you however I know how to spell properly - must be my terribly middle class education shining through again!

yeah sure....you don't feel the need yet you keep replying less you lose face in front of your internet mates. you are a sad loser. go home and worry about your mortgage

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Darling I have been to Cáfe Insane on a few occasions and base my opinion from having been there. There isn't any social setting that I feel uncomfortable in, I would sooner go to a gallery opening then Cáfe Insane.

It has nothing to do with being working class it is the fact most people who go there lack any class or grace what so ever no matter what thier bank balance.

IF you want to strut and sweat with the Nouveau Riche go ahead, I got over that 15 years ago when drinking in the library bar in Lillie's.

you are a sad loser.

Good comeback kid. :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

There very much IS a class issue in place like CES..you'd need to be some class of wanker to go there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

My guess is that Cafe En Seine draw people who dont have all that much money, but a wad load of maxed out credit cards. I went a few times in my last job in Dublin ( i now live in England). About two years ago. It served one purpose: a group of people could enter and get some space after 11pm, and it wasnt too loud. It does have a dance floor.

Since it was with work we often had it on tab. Once we didnt. A group of women had joijned the group and muggins here went to get a round for the group, at that stage 14 people or so. Spent more than €100. The whole night out was close to €160 including tais, and the other round. Maybe more.

Now in the nice college town I live in in England I never spend that kind of money, and when I go back to Dublin I stick to the burbs.

asdasd wrote: »
    My guess is that Cafe En Seine draw people who dont have all that much money, but a wad load of maxed out credit cards.

used to know some people like that.They would shove thier wages up thier noses every week and buy everything else on plastic.
    None of them wanted to admit they were broke so they'd try to outdo each other in acts of stupidity like wasting 200 quid on a horrible shirt and buying champagne when they couldnt afford it.
    When the cows came home,they had to stay at home for a year to pay off ther bills and seek medical advice for thier charlie problems.Bunch of stupid twats.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,759 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I despise Cafe en Seine. It pretty sums up, in one venue, all that is vulgar and wrong with the so-called Celtic Tiger. Pretentious, packed, full of posers who are selfish, nasty and ruthless but ultimately vacuous at the same time.

I've unwillingly been there a few times and never stayed for more than a hour. Cafe en Seine is essentially a zoo where the species Celticus Tigrus Pretentiousii can be seen in their natural habitat.

I can think of a million nicer places to go for a few bevvies at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

you are a sad loser. go home
    stehigg - you're fairly new around here but you have a lot to learn. Please refrain from trolling and offending others. You are on a yellow card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Publin

im not forcing my opinion on anyone. Just standing up for the people you believe its ok to insult because they have money and can afford to drink in places like Cafe en Seine.

He's just giving his opinion on the venue and the typical sort of people who frequent it. You're being just as insulting by suggesting that people who choose not to drink in Café Insane are not able to afford it. Maybe they just don't like the place, due to this sort of attitude from people who do drink there.
    Like everything in life there is a level of segregation and working class people feel intimadated in a social setting such as CeS and as a result say groundless things like the people there are pretentious [EMAIL="w@nkers"]w@nkers[/EMAIL]. If you're too WC to go there stick to your own.

Well, a lot of them are - in my opinion - "pretentious w@nkers" as you put it. I have been there a few times, and many people I work with go there religiously a couple of times a week. Most of them would fall into the category noted above, or be "wannabes" for want of a better word.

Isn't Coppers a tenner in on Saturdays too, and the drink roughly the same price :confused: ? The place is packed, sweaty and dank, and plays out and out cheese and is full of country folk, but at least you can generally have a laugh there and the clientelle are usually quite friendly and up for a laugh too, not too busy trying to strike the best pose with their bottle of Heino and thinking they're too cool to be caught drinking anywhere else.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Just want to add something:

I currently work for a hotel company, in their IT department for the last 12 months, but before that as Night Manager and the year before that as a porter and barman. The type of people who go to Café en Siene are the worst customers on the planet. They don't tip, but think that because it looks like they have money, they have the right to dismiss you as a human and treat you like some kind of robot. They are ignorant, have no class and I sincerely hope are currently in danger of being turfed out on the street cause they can't afford their mortgage payments, cause they have massive loans to pay off their credit card bills. "New money" as they're known at home in Mayo (they behaved the same way there when I was a hotel worker there too). Have no idea of the real hard work associated with having money, have no idea how to treat the people who are looking after them and no sense of decorum when out. They're out and about to be seen out and about and a place like CeS is very much a scensters place.

More than anything, I feel sorry for these people as they don't have a brain of their own, jsut a sheep mentality.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

People are missing the true problems with Cafe En Sein - 1)the place is always like a fridge if its not jammed, and 2)the quality of draught there is ****e. I could care less about who else is drinking in the same pub as me, but I do tend to like to be warm, happy and well watered, none of which CeS fulfills for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Awful awful establishment.
    I avoid the place at all costs (no pun intended). Last time I was there was just over a year ago. A mate was home from England and all his other friends were going up there, so I felt I could swallow my pride for the sake of having a few beers with my friend.

Place hadn't changed. Well overpriced, stuffed to the rafters, and no offence intended to anyone who drinks there, but that night, like any other night I'd been, it was full of ar*eholes.

I won't be going back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

One of the things I dread most in life is a friend holding an important occasion that I can't get out of, like a 30th or engagement party, in Café en Seine or Dicey O'Reilly's. I went to the former once because I got dragged there, I went to the latter once with work. Horrible, horrible places.
    Just standing up for the people you believe its ok to insult because they have money and can afford to drink in places like Cafe en Seine. Like everything in life there is a level of segregation and working class people feel intimadated in a social setting such as CeS and as a result say groundless things like the people there are pretentious [EMAIL="w@nkers"]w@nkers[/EMAIL]. If you're too WC to go there stick to your own.
    If you think flash, wanky pubs are only frequented by middle-class people and every other type of pub is frequented by working-class people... you've a lot to learn about social class and you're obviously 14.

Lesson 1 in Social Class for Beginners: Social class is not simply defined according to income.
    Dont you mean the Uggers? uggers always hate Cafe en Seine because it makes them feel inadequate. true story
    LOL... or maybe they just... think it's a crap, boring pub?
    another ugger statement. dont insult people just because they make you feel inferior
    Oh boring people don't make me feel one bit inferior, but thanks.
    why are there people raggin on them then.
    Not because they've money... believe me. Anyway, HAVE they money? We're not all interested in getting lots of expensive stuff - honestly. And that's not because we're trying to be all wannabe marxist or anything... we just have other interests besides expensive cars, designer clothes etc.
    socially apt people.
    It's socially adept. ;)

And working class and "skobe" aren't synonymous... get yourself educated dude! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Diceys is great in a nice summer in the early evening before they got silly and covered over part of the beer garden. You could forgive the atrocious bar staff and overpriced drinks in exchange for that. Though I have to say that from memory, the beer garden out back in Bia Bar comes pretty damn close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Yeah that's true about the beer garden, which is always a good thing :)

It's just the staff, the security, the attitude that it's really "exclusive", a lot of the clientele are tossers etc.

Not saying everyone who goes to Diceys or CES are tossers, but you know the typical customer I'm talking about...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Kharn wrote: »
    The type of people who go to Café en Siene are the worst customers on the planet. They don't tip, but think that because it looks like they have money, they have the right to dismiss you as a human and treat you like some kind of robot.

Just wondering why would you tip somebody in a pub who's serving you a pint? It's just not done here I find, unless you're ordering food and then I would.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

jdivision wrote: »
    Just wondering why would you tip somebody in a pub who's serving you a pint? It's just not done here I find, unless you're ordering food and then I would.
    Perhaps he meant they don't tip for table service?

Why wouldn't you tip?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

There is no tipping in Ireland for non-table service. The situation in America is weird, tip the barman but not the barrista.

Kharn wrote: »
    Why wouldn't you tip?

Because stuff is expensive enough as it is,the staff already earn a wage and in my opinion VERY few people deserve it.

• Advertisement

OK, but at minimum wage (which I worked for most of my hotel career), €10 in tips is the difference between eating and not eating that night when you get home :) Staff don't set the prices. It amazes me when people start to argue the price of things with the guy working behind the bar. If he doesn't take the exact money necessary (which has been recorded in the till against his username), it comes out of his pocket. If you don't like the price, get on the the owner cause 95% of the time, it's them that sets it, not staff and management! Stock control is so anal in pubs and hotels now that if there isn't 85 pints worth of money per keg, or 24 recorded sales of coke per crate put on the shelves, serious questions are getting asked and people loose jobs.

Maybe the rest of the world doesn't realise how strict and unforgiving the service industry (in Ireland for certain) is?

I don't tip automatically, but I do when I get good service. If I'm in a bar and the same member of staff looks after me a few times, I'll leave something when I make my last order. I do not subscribe to the American model of automatically tipping, it does not promote good service and good work from the staff.

I think we're getting away from the original point anyway, so apologies to the mods for getting OT.

Advertisement