Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most Expensive Pub in Dublin just got worse!

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Kharn wrote: »
    Why wouldn't you tip?

Because there's no real effort involved in pulling a pint. i worked behind a bar before. I'd have looked at somebody stupid if they gave me a tip.
    Most pubs pay bar staff more than E12 an hour, or at least the barmen I know do. That's a fair wage and they won't be starving. They also get to eat free if the bar serves food so no chance of them starving.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

That's a fair point and only goes to highlight the difference in attitude between pub owners (who believe a decent wage gets decent staff work) and a hoteliers (where it's all about saving as much money as possible). It shows that most hotels these days are owned by builders and not service industry people.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭ryoishin

Id tip the lounge staff but not the barman.

What about the guy in the toilets? I dont like when theres a bloke in the toilet handing out paper to dry your hands.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

ryoishin wrote: »

What about the guy in the toilets? I dont like when theres a bloke in the toilet handing out paper to dry your hands.

Give them ****-all.Chancers.
    They're using a form of reverse racism to guilt people into paying them.
    Some of this scumbags are clearing 1000 quid a night and its all tax free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

I imagine that figure is exagerated. But the idea is correct. The guy in the toilets tends to be black, so we "whites" feel guilt. Why? Well because whilst our ancestors were living the high life as piss poor tenant farmers denied most civil rights ( if Catholic) : other whites, in another country ( and generally AngloSaxons too ) had black slaves. Or at least the elites had. So thats our fault, it seems. And so we turf over the cash.

Some of which goes into the pockets of the pub owner I presume, and I think I know why their preference is for the guy in the toilet to be black.

Roots had a lot to answer for.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Degsy wrote: »
    Give them ****-all.Chancers.
    They're using a form of reverse racism to guilt people into paying them.

Scumbags is a bit of a harsh term to be honest. But I agree that there is a guilt thing that they capitalise on.

I don't give them money generally and they can **** right off if they think they're gonna spray some ****e cologne on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

I hate it but I disagree entirely as to why people feel the need to do it. Also I understood from pub owners, some of whom I know, that they take half of it so now i don't give anything ever. They're doing well enough already although given the pub I was in last night was completely empty aside from me and three friends before 11am last night...

asdasd wrote: »
    I imagine that figure is exagerated. But the idea is correct. The guy in the toilets tends to be black, so we "whites" feel guilt. Why? Well because whilst our ancestors were living the high life as piss poor tenant farmers denied most civil rights ( if Catholic) : other whites, in another country ( and generally AngloSaxons too ) had black slaves. Or at least the elites had. So thats our fault, it seems. And so we turf over the cash.

Some of which goes into the pockets of the pub owner I presume, and I think I know why their preference is for the guy in the toilet to be black.

Roots had a lot to answer for.

What they're actually doing is playing a kind of watered-down "uncle tom" role.The poor black bloke,standing there all night to serve mighty-whitey as he spends his millions of euro on a night out.
    Its a complete con..most of these blokes are making far more than the people they're scabbing off and as for being uncle toms..tell one to piss off and listen to thier reaction..they usually go crazy!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

tell one to piss off and listen to thier reaction..they usually go crazy!

As would anyone working with the public in the services industry. I'd whack the ignorant fukcer's head off the urinals 'til he lost his sight, then get my coat and tell the boss to stick his job.

If I felt that there was some form of racial preasure to tip the bog attendant I'd be asking myself far more questions about my attitude. Thankfully i don't...i just see them as being pests that get in the way of the hand dryers.

I've always seen a mixed bag in Cafe en S. However when I've been drinking in company I only kinda notice whoever I'm drinking with and have enjoyed my evenings there. It's the company one keeps that'll hold your interest rather than finding interest in people you don't like drinking in your vacinity.
    CeS full of twats? Maybe...they don't really pop up on my radar. I find them far too easy to ignore.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

What they're actually doing is playing a kind of watered-down "uncle tom" role.The poor black bloke,standing there all night to serve mighty-whitey as he spends his millions of euro on a night out.
    Its a complete con..most of these blokes are making far more than the people they're scabbing off and as for being uncle toms..tell one to piss off and listen to thier reaction..they usually go crazy!
    Slightly off topic but..A mate of mine runs a bar and they have since changed their policy on letting these lads in. These "post-urinal grooming attendants" actually offer to pay to work there! Why because they fcukin clean up on the typical paddy pi$$ head who thinks they need the few quid so invariably throw them at least a euro everytime they nip off for pat cash. My hole. Probably raking in more cash than the lads at the bar!

I have yet to hear of a womans jax having anything of the sort !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Sizzler wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but..A mate of mine runs a bar and they have since changed their policy on letting these lads in. These "post-urinal grooming attendants" actually offer to pay to work there! Why because they fcukin clean up on the typical paddy pi$$ head who thinks they need the few quid so invariably throw them at least a euro everytime they nip off for pat cash. My hole. Probably raking in more cash than the lads at the bar!

I have yet to hear of a womans jax having anything of the sort !

:confused:Ladies' toilets have them too!

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭ryoishin

Break for the Boarder have a chick in the toilet that does the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭DenMan

I like the Cafe en Seine, but that is bloody ridiculous. Times like this makes me feel that I don't miss Dublin at all. Crazy prices. Got a beer and a dinner in Crete in the evening last week for €6. Worlds apart.

humberklog wrote: »
    As would anyone working with the public in the services industry.

These people arent actually working in that they dont provide a service.What they're actually doing is begging or,at best busking..a sort of shoeshine boy that doesnt actually provide a shoeshine.
    Its a form of racial guilt-tripping,nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Some of this scumbags are clearing 1000 quid a night
    Steady on Degsy - no need to get abusive to make your point.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

ryoishin wrote: »
    Break for the Boarder have a chick in the toilet that does the same thing.

Really. Didnt know that went on, I thought it was just the scurge of the gents toilets !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Cafe en seine can charge what they like - let the customer decide where they want to spend their money.
    If I want to eat I can go to Mcdonalds or to Patrick Guibaulds- essentially they do similar things at vastly different prices.

Traumadoc wrote: »
    Cafe en seine can charge what they like - let the customer decide where they want to spend their money.
    If I want to eat I can go to Mcdonalds or to Patrick Guibaulds- essentially they do similar things at vastly different prices.

You wont get a big mac in patrick guibalds and you wont get a confit of pan-glazed corn fed poussin served on a bed of rocket,champ,truffles and macademia nuts lovingle drizzled with burgundy jus in mcdonalds.
    You can however get a pint of heiniken in cafe en seine for over 6 quid whereas in most city centre pubs its just shy of a fiver.
    Do you see?
    They're overcharging for the same product.

You can however get a pint of heiniken in cafe en seine for over 6 quid whereas in most city centre pubs its just shy of a fiver.
    Do you see?
    They're overcharging for the same product.

But I love paying extra for the privilege of drinking with such high-class, witty and downright handsome clientele. ;)

Also I like to pretend I have a lot more money than I really do.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Its a form of racial guilt-tripping,nothing more.

It's a form of blocking up the toilets to sell a squirt of after shave to make easy money off drunk people. it's an irritant, nothing more.

• Advertisement

humberklog wrote: »
    It's a form of blocking up the toilets to sell a squirt of after shave to make easy money off drunk people. it's an irritant, nothing more.

Its encouraging racial stereotypes.Both of the drunken paddy AND the servile black man.

Its encouraging racial stereotypes.Both of the drunken paddy AND the servile black man.

Don't see how it could be seen to encourage the stereotype of the drunken paddy.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Don't see how it could be seen to encourage the stereotype of the drunken paddy.

Coz the black bloke is standing in the jacks of an irish pub.What do you think he's going to see coming in to piss?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

Crikey, we don't see much of this type of stuff around Ringsend :confused:

RoyMcC wrote: »
    Crikey, we don't see much of this type of stuff around Ringsend :confused:

Lucky you,i say.
    Mind you finglas doesnt exactly pay these guys a lot of money either!

Advertisement