Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Oil and petrol query

Options
  • 05-10-2008 4:34pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 827 ✭✭✭

Some of you might be able to help.

Someone said the price of oil is coming down. How does that affect petrol?

I thought petrol and oil are two separate things - when I go to a filling station I fill up with petrol.

The garage usually does an oil change for me which is located in a different part of the car.

Thanks

Brian

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Petrol, Diesel, Kerosene and Parrafin (and any other Fossil Fuels I've missed) are all refined from Crude Oil.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Any reason why you sent me a PM about this?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Brian Capture

Sully wrote: »

Lack of response on thread [now rectified] and I was personally recommended [in Geoffs pub] that you would provide the answer

PMs = private messages.

No need to bring them up in public.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭reganovich

Petrol is derived from oil...no offense but thought we all knew that

reganovich wrote: »
    Petrol is derived from oil...no offense but thought we all knew that

I mowed my lawn last month - my father said it needed oil. So I checked the dipstick and poured the Castrol oil in. If I put petrol in there, I am sure the mower wouldn't have started.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Damien360

I mowed my lawn last month - my father said it needed oil. So I checked the dipstick and poured the Castrol oil in. If I put petrol in there, I am sure the mower wouldn't have started.

I am praying that you are taking the mick. If you are for real and that is the standard of education at the moment....god help us all

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petroleum (tho, not as useful as above).

Are you sure your old enough to be in a pub? ;)

As for PMs, well.. unsolicited PMs are a bit odd. I assumed you were just picking random people looking for an immediate answer which is why I never responded and asked here.

Damien360: I see your point, I dont think hes taking the piss. I think he is asking a genuine question and this part of his education is a bit messed up (hopefully just this part :D). Shocking, perhaps, but maybe being a bit easier on the chap and educating him might benefit him more?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 bd85

I have a related question: What proportion of the price of a litre of petrol is attributed to oil? A 50% rise in oil prices will not mean a 50% rise in petrol prices as there are other input costs such as distribution, refining, retailer's mark up etc which don't generally fluctuate with oil prices

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Sully wrote: »

I got a similarily stupid PM from the OP about this. Just added him to my ignore list....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

I'd say it is a pi$$ take.....one of his other posts :rolleyes:

Budgie query
    We had a budgie growing up but it died in 1984.

My sister and I are anxious to trace the budgie's family. The man who sold us the budgie was quite vague but we're not ones to give up hope.

Is it possible that the budgie's father could still be alive or do they live that long?

• Advertisement

Darragh29 wrote: »
    I got a similarily stupid PM from the OP about this. Just added him to my ignore list....

Nice of you to respond to me!

Even if it was in such a humilating manner.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Nothing succeeds like a gummy budgie (trolling a forum). :D

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

goodnight Eileen!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement