Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting out my house - what do I need to do?

Options
  • 05-10-2008 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Hi there,

I'm thinking about renting out my house and have someone coming to view it next week. What do I need to look for in terms of deposit, rent up front etc? Also, where would I get a copy of a lease agreement that I could use?

Anything else I need to know??? Cheers,
    Trix

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Is this longterm or short term?

If long term don't get into the mindset of 'how dare they change anything@', treat it as a house you rented out rather than your personal home.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,394 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Will you be still living in the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭malpas

good advice above..a few other key points..no particular order.

get references, home addresses, tel nos. of all tenants and talk to previous landlords .

get deposit of one month's rent .

get rent paid 1 month in advance (ie. you should get 1 month rent on the day they move in).

Ideally get tenants to pay via bank standing order into your bank account.
    register tenancy with PRTB (cost €70 application form on their site).

you may be liable for tax on rental received (less allowances such as mortgage interest, expenses etc) and should declare to Revenue.

get all the PRTB explanatory leaflets and familiarise yourself with the many legal aspects of the Residential Tenancies Act 2004 ..this is very important as it is a legal and procedural minefield..get copy of Act if you really want to understand it.

make sure you have a proper lease drawn up and signed by all parties, to include a contents list. Your solicitor can help as they are fairly standard.

make clear your expectations regarding noise, condition of premises, garden, refuse removal, inspection visits, service charges, ESB, telephone..lease should include all this and more.

That's my 2 cents..probably a lot more. Be professional, treat it as a business and treat your tenants with respect.

Advertisement