Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Level 1 Language Modules

• 05-10-2008 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

I'm just wondering what people's experience of (any of the) level 1 language modules is. i.e difficult, boring, good teacher etc etc...

I'm doing Russian 1 and it's easy so far, the teacher is a native speaker which is great but I don't like how it's for 2 hours in the evening once a week.

Has anyone here done Chinese 1? Is it very difficult for a complete beginner?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Japanese level 1 is very, very easy and a lot of fun. Teacher the year I did it was Matsuyo Miyai, she was very good and very friendly, and always explained things very well. Not sure if she's still around though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

I studied Chinese and Spanish in college and Russian out of college and I found Chinese way easier. Its interesting. In Spanish they move along quite quickly because its a lot easier where as they take their time in Chinese. Speaking it is tough enough because they're very finiky about pronunciation. But I loved learning how to write it and put most of my effort into that. Teacher's a native too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 578 ✭✭✭neilk32

ye im doing japanese 1 its easy enough so far we had a youngish teacher but we have a dif one now but i wasnt at the last class. The evening things is annoying though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭kev_s88

im doing japanese 1 in semester 2 :)

hating the whole 6-8pm time for it though.not lookin forward to having to stay in ucd until 8pm :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 108 ✭✭ianthefox

I'm doing Spanish 1, it's pretty easy. Classes are far more fun than geography and history too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭McNuggy

yeah im doin chinese 1.. and its really class craic.. the guy doin it is a phd student from china and hes really sound.. i did russian 1 last yr and it was like bein in military school.. so serius and strict.. chinese is so different and its actually easier to learn becos the tutor is so sound!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18 odhran666

Hey thanks for the reply's guys :D Chinese is starting to sound good!

I think I might do it next year.

McNuggy, was Zarema your teacher by any chance? That's who teaches russian now but I don't think she's that bad at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭McNuggy

yup odhran , thast the one.. I owuldnt say its her thats bad!! shes actually really nice.. i still see her round ucd an in twn in a few times n she'll always stop an say hi..

i jus meant like.. the workload... i still cant get over the diffrence of workload between russian and chinese..!! its liek.. theres so much to learn in russian .. but in chinese its at a much slower pace an the emphasis is more on understanding what your learning instead of throwin a million things to learn at ya. haha..

but i hav to say .. when you get to the russian exam... at christmas.. an absolute breeze.. its fill the blanks after readin a menu or hotel advert,, and write a letter sayin what you do and what you like and stuff.. (which by the way she gives you the letter 2 weeks before the exam haha)
    handy lil number altogether!! :P

Advertisement