Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gun laws before 1925?

Options
  • 05-10-2008 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭

Im just wondering if there was any laws, with gun ownership laws before 1925? Or were all english laws in place? Were guns as easy to buy as crisps in Ireland? Could anyone own a gun as long as they had the money to buy one?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

The laws I know of are:

Gun Licenses Act, 1870 - Required you to pay 10 shillings for a license, it didn't really control who could own what.
    Pistols Act, 1903 - Controlled pistols in Britain but did not apply to Ireland
    Firearms Act, 1920 - The first real firearms legislation I know of.

The 1920 Act was repealed by our Firearms Act, 1925.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Sikamick

IRLConor wrote: »
    The laws I know of are:

Gun Licenses Act, 1870 - Required you to pay 10 shillings for a license, it didn't really control who could own what.

What would 10 shillings be in modern money terms.

Sikamick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Sikamick wrote: »

What would 10 shillings be in modern money terms.

Sikamick

In direct monetary translation terms it would be 40 cent! That's not taking into account that we were based on sterling in 1925.

Except that 10 shillings in 1925 would be about half a weeks wages for the average worker :eek:

So to put it in context, that would be around €400 based on CSO figures for the average industrial worker today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

The 10/- (ten shilling) charge was imposed in 1870 though, when a labouring man's daily wage was in the region of 1/4d (one shilling and four pence, or "one and fourpence"), and "the working day was to be not less than ten hours exclusive of breakfast and dinner".
    That'd be 8/- (eight shillings) for a six day week.

8/- = 40p (in the most recent 'old' money) = €0.50.
    For (minimum) 60 hours of heavy labour. :eek:

Waaaaay beyond the means of all but the very affluent.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Sikamick

IRLConor wrote: »
    The laws I know of are:

IrlConor it's amazing that there is very little difference between the 1920 Firearms Acts UK and the 1925 Irish version.

Sikamick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,356 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Sikamick wrote: »

IrlConor it's amazing that there is very little difference between the 1920 Firearms Acts UK and the 1925 Irish version.

Sikamick
    I would be more surprized if there was a difference tbh.
    It was just a process of making the laws Irish under the new constitution of the free state

Advertisement