Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Headlamps

Options
  • 05-10-2008 6:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭

Folks... the headlamps on my 99 B5 Passat have gone hazy/crazed on the inside and light emitted is way lower than they were... is there a cure for this without replacing the units? Where is cheapest place to buy replacment units?

Thanks..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,439 ✭✭✭cml387

The ultra violet light emitted by the lights has caused the perspex in the headlamp unit to go opaque, I see a few VW cars suffering this.

Check out "low uv headlamps".
    I'm afraid nothing can be done to reverse the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 themfc

I had a similar problem with my 98 Passat. Are you sure it is on the inside? On mine, it was on the outside.
    I did a search on tdiclub and also on vwvortex. The solution I used was fine grit sandpaper. I bought 4 sheets each of 1200, 1500, and 2000. It is a wet sanding process, so soak the sandpaper in water for a few minutes before use. A creamy coloured liquid is created with the sanding. Use plenty of water to wash it off. Use PlastX or similar at the end to polish the lights. Worked perfectly for me. Took about an hour. The above only works with plastic lenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'm guessing it won't be possible to do the inside of the lenses, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

bbam wrote: »
    Folks... the headlamps on my 99 B5 Passat have gone hazy/crazed on the inside and light emitted is way lower than they were... is there a cure for this without replacing the units? Where is cheapest place to buy replacment units?

Thanks..

I bought a headlamp for a golf off ebay, I think it was about £60 all in. Worked a treat apart from the fact that it showed up the other lamp which was hazed etc. To fit you have to pop off the front bumper, not the most difficult job but you'll need torx bits and a helper. There is a sensor in the front bumper that is connected by a wire. Be careful not to break/damage this. It just clips off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

Ebayis a safe bet... there or a scrapper... depends how soon you need them... but tbh at night time, if you get into a smahs you get into trouble as your lightsarent working 100 %legally...

cover yourown arse before you attempt to cover others...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Son

Yes you can wet sand it,will come up like new if done right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

themfc wrote: »
    I had a similar problem with my 98 Passat. Are you sure it is on the inside? On mine, it was on the outside.
    I did a search on tdiclub and also on vwvortex. The solution I used was fine grit sandpaper. I bought 4 sheets each of 1200, 1500, and 2000. It is a wet sanding process, so soak the sandpaper in water for a few minutes before use. A creamy coloured liquid is created with the sanding. Use plenty of water to wash it off. Use PlastX or similar at the end to polish the lights. Worked perfectly for me. Took about an hour. The above only works with plastic lenses.

Mine are plastic lenses... Interesting maybe this is why the seem to get very dirty quickly...
    I'll have a look and see for sure, I just presumed it was in the inside..
    Where did you get the PlastX ??

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 31 themfc

I got it at a Motorfactors. Also, make sure to either cover up the plastic of the bumper in case you are over enthusiatic whilst polishing. Either tape it or do as I did, use a old clean rag.
    The first step in the sanding seems to leave the headlight in worse condition. However, it improves with each grit used. Do not give up. Takes plenty of elbow grease. Have a look at this link (just dont start with anything under 1000 grit):
    http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=209987&highlight=headlight+polishing

Had a good close look and the problem is definitely on the outside, cant beleive I didn't notice that before :rolleyes:..
    I'll try and get time on Saturday to have a go with the sanding process...

I'll let you know how I get on...

The cheapest replacment lenses I could find on the net were €150+shipping :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,976 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Make sure the area is kept reasonably wet all of the time. You might even add a wee bit of washing up liquid to the soaking bucket. It helps decrease the wear of the sand paper on the surface

• Advertisement

Hi all..
    Thanks for the advice...
    I sanded both headlamps which came up great, near new condition...
    800g-->1500g-->2000g
    Took about an hour and a half...

Couldnt get the plastic polish locally so its on way from Evil-Bay..

Thanks a mil
    :D bam :D

Advertisement