Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vista is acting MENTAL

• 05-10-2008 6:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭

Hi I recently got a Sony VGN-NR38E laptop and it's been working fine up til today. Visa was always a little laggy (it has 2GB RAM but I've heard Vista is memory-intensive) but otherwise no issues...til now, arrgghh...

I booted it up this morning and when I tried to load up the start menu, the Loading Circle came up and strobed...and nothing happened! I had to hard reboot and tried Firefox...same thing! Safe Mode (which I'm in now) works OKish. I've tried loading up Disk Defragmenter to see if it'll clear up the problem but it won't load in ANY mode!

I've been using torrent downloaders but nothing dodgy has come down the pipeline. The last thing I did before these major problems arose was download an update for Sony's proprietary media playback software. Could this be the problem?

I'm gonna bring it back for replacement if I have to but I'd rather avoid that. Is there a way to downgrade to XP for free? Maybe that'll help?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

how about ya uninstall the sony update first before ya bring it back for replacement?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,867 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Tech support 101

Do you think the thing that I did prior to it having a problem might in some, crazy, totally out there, way, have something to do with the problem that occurred directly afterwards?

The problem in this instance, sits in front of the keyboard :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

astrofool wrote: »

Yes its known as a PEBKAC error

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

try system restore to before you had the problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

astrofool wrote: »
    Tech support 101

Do you think the thing that I did prior to it having a problem might in some, crazy, totally out there, way, have something to do with the problem that occurred directly afterwards?

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Yes its known as a PEBKAC error

Sitting there pontificating is easy, especially when the person is not in front of you.

The torrenting is the likely cause of your problem; were you doing that as you did the Sony update? Uninstall the Sony update and see does that fix your problem.

When updating software/system, having as few processes running as possible is always the best advice against having issues like you describe.

• Advertisement
Advertisement