Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

National M50 Toll Boycott Day

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Sizzler wrote: »
    Folks,

There has been plenty of talk on the M50 BFT thread about the general mess up to date and if boards user experiences is anything to go by this whole thing has been far from a success and brought little benefit to M50 users.

A few facts -

-The bridge has been paid for countless times.
    -Road tax is for roads, yet the Irish motorist is still paying for this road.
    -The road despite the toll is still a mess and routinely congests.
    -The BFT does not work.
    -Its NOT customer friendly.
    -Motorists are being asked to pay up to 50% more for the same service then they were 6 weeks ago, for what exactly :confused:

Its plain to see that this whole thing is designed to make more money and shaft the motorist because we appear to be easy pickings.

So,cutting to the chase.

Why not have a campaign for a national don't pay the toll day. If you have a tag, put it in your glovebox, if you were planning on using it, don't bother paying.

Why are we rolling over on this one? From everything reported to date it would appear the system could in no way sustain dealing with one days worth of traffic who don't pay. If this proves to be a success perhaps the Irish motorist might actually grow some more balls and the campaign could last longer than a day....

If theres a burning issue for haulage companies you can be sure those truck driver boys will kick off, car drivers should be an evenmore powerful voice and we should not underestimate what can be done here.....

Anybody?

Good luck with that

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Good luck with that
    LOL :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Stekelly wrote: »
    Are you for real? You are CHOOSING the most expensive option, the only one making it unfair is you.

If they offer a package where its €100 a go , thats also not unfair if thats the option you decide to go with.

I aint choosing fook all, I'm merely highlighting an unfairness in the way this has been repackaged for what is essentially the same service. As other posters have said there is no real viable alternative but you choose to keep defending it, which is grand, but as you said you avoid at all costs unless you are feeling lazy but not all road users have that luxury.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

faceman wrote: »
    What would it take for people to shout their protest?

There is possibly a BIK tax being introduced for motorists who avail of free parking at their workplace

Is that ok too?

A congestion charge in Dublin city centre which would no doubt spread to other cities.

Is that ok aswell?
    As it happens, i'm all in favour of both of those things.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I aint choosing fook all, .

Your choosing quite a lot.

Your choosing to use the toll bridge.

your choosing not to register.

Your choosing to pay the highest amount.

As other posters have said there is no real viable alternative but you choose to keep defending it, which is grand, but as you said you avoid at all costs unless you are feeling lazy but not all road users have that luxury.

We are talking about the same road so all users do have the same luxury. I'm not using a helicopter to avoid it, I just drive alternative roads.

Getting up at a time that means the only way you can get to work on time is by going through the toll does not mean there arent alternatives, it means you dont want to get up early enough to use them.

Everyone cant have it their own way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

There's a certain irony on posters from outside Dublin not wanting to get involved when it is them as "occasional unregistered users" who will actually bear the brunt of the skewed payment system and pay the most for each use of the toll road.

In France you don't have to register to use a toll road, there are specially reserved lanes for people with the "electronic bleeper/tag" which saves a huge amount of queueing time. There are lanes with coin baskets, there are lanes that take bank cards, no pin required and lastly there are lanes with human operators who will accept notes.

When the studies for that toll bridge was being done did nobody look at the lessons learned elsewhere? The most obvious one is that there must be many more toll booths than there are lanes of traffic. A typical 3 lane motorway has at least 12 to 16 Toll booths. Some really busy routes have 28/30 booths.

More booths = less delays duh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

There is possibly a BIK tax being introduced for motorists who avail of free parking at their workplace.

This will never ever happen as those civil servants who make the law wont do without their free parking spaces.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Has the toll not decreased for HGV's?

Despite the fact that there is no congestion charge at present and afaik nothing concrete to say there will be, where is the evidence to say it will spread? Or are you just shoving that in for a bit of sensationalism?

Clearly you are a dub my friend! (i presume!) Cork, galway, limerick have atrocious traffic problems too and congestion charges were mentioned in the past.
    wrote:
    It's all very easy for people to stand up and say they want this charge abolished or that price lowered, the reality is the country is in recetion, budget deficits are growing. What makes you think the government should or would lower it's income?

The fact is , it's a choice to use it. Just like having a nice handy Spar on the corner that means you dont have to travel too far for a bottle of coke or a pint of milk, it costs more.
    Anan1 wrote: »
    As it happens, i'm all in favour of both of those things.

Unfortunately on a topic like this, people who have the luxury of not needing their own private motorised transport to commute to their place of work, dont feel the pain that car drivers for example do, therefore dont need to look at the issue subject objectively.

And for the record, i primarily ride a motorbike so tolls, parking charges etc are not relevent to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Unfortunately on a topic like this, people who have the luxury of not needing their own private motorised transport to commute to their place of work, dont feel the pain that car drivers for example do, therefore dont need to look at the issue subject objectively.
    More likely the pain stops them from seeing things objectively.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

!

Unfortunately on tipics like this people make lots of unfounded presumtions. I need my car every day to get my tools to and from work (my own private car, nothign paid for by the job) and between jobs.Including lots of city centre work.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    This will never ever happen as those civil servants who make the law wont do without their free parking spaces.

It also can't be policed/administered unless the spots are individually designated/reserved. If the spots are on a first come, first served basis, BIK can't be applied.

However, as you said, it would mainly affect civil servants ... oh and the TDs who voted to turn the Dáil lawn into a tarmac paradise a few years ago, so they could park their cars outside. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Heroditas wrote: »
    It also can't be policed/administered unless the spots are individually designated/reserved. If the spots are on a first come, first served basis, BIK can't be applied.
    Not even if there is a space for everybody? It's a nice little loophole.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Unfortunately on tipics like this people make lots of unfounded presumtions. I need my car every day to get my tools to and from work (my own private car, nothign paid for by the job) and between jobs.Including lots of city centre work.

So what exactly is your point of view on the issue then? :confused:

Advertisement