Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Race for the First Division

• 05-10-2008 7:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭

Thought this deserved a thread of its own as its definitely something thats getting juicier by the week. At a point, it looked like Dundalk were cruising with Waterford, Shels and Fingal being left to play catchup. Recent results have seen Dundalk suffer a mini-collapse and let the others back into it, so much so that Waterford had the chance to go top with a win against Athlone (they only drew and therefore went to a point behind).

Meanwhile after some terrible mid-season form Shels have started to gradually claw back the gap and are now only 3 points behind Dundalk, and 2 behind Waterford, coming into some great form, and 2 supposedly easier fixtures against Athlone and Wexford.

Fingal are 8 points behind the top with a game in hand, they've been muck recently though, and you'd have to imagine they're out of the race, and will probably chasing to get 2nd or 3rd spot behind one of the teams who might lose form in the run-in.

Either way. my prediction for the rest of the season is:
    Shels
    Dundalk
    Waterford
    Fingal

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I agree

Shels to tip Dundalk n Waterford

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Id like to see Dundalk win it. i think they deserve it after being denied promotion by the FAI a couple of years ago.

i think sporting fingal deserve credit is well for doing so well in their first season.

what about relegation though? i remember hearing before that the bottom team gets demoted to the 'A' championship. but the 'A' championship only started a short while back so that shouldn't be possible.

can anyone shed some light on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

i would like sporting fingal to go up but I think Dundalk will get their form back just in time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

i would like sporting fingal to go up
    :eek:

I'd like Waherfud to win it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

yeah a strange one i know.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Id like to see Dundalk go up purely cos my old maths teacher plays for them :D

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Id like to see Dundalk go up purely cos my old maths teacher plays for them :D

You used to go to Aidans?:confused:

Anyways, we're muck. But, I think the other teams around us arep laying even worse. We've got the best run in IMO.

We've four of the bottom five in our next four games. Waterford have to play Fingal and Dundalk in that time. Dundalk and Fingal play aswell during this time.

We could be top coming into the last four games which would be unbelievable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

If Shels go up, I'll eat my feet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

You've barely predicted us to win a match this season though.

DSB wrote: »

I know :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

i would like sporting fingal to blow up

Fixed that for you esteban.;)
    DSB wrote: »

He's barely been at a match all season.:rolleyes:

:D

He's barely been at a match all season.:rolleyes:

:D

I do apologise for

a) working my arse off for a company that it looked like I was being made redundant from

b) being made redundant and having no money, I even stopped going to the pub ffs

c) getting a new job with shift work.

While you continue to bum off your parents.

:rolleyes:

Des wrote: »
    I do apologise for

a) working my arse off for a company that it looked like I was being made redundant from

b) being made redundant and having no money, I even stopped going to the pub ffs

c) getting a new job with shift work.

While you continue to bum off your parents.

:rolleyes:

;)

Cool the jets Des, just having a laugh at your expense. I'd say your the guts of 10 years older than me hence why you don't bum off your parents. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Id like to see Dundalk win it. i think they deserve it after being denied promotion by the FAI a couple of years ago.

i think sporting fingal deserve credit is well for doing so well in their first season.

what about relegation though? i remember hearing before that the bottom team gets demoted to the 'A' championship. but the 'A' championship only started a short while back so that shouldn't be possible.

can anyone shed some light on this?

Yes, anyone with clarification on this - I heard t'was a play off situation?
    Not that i'm worried like......;)

Afaik last team in the 1st Division will get relegated, and then the "top" placed team in the "A" gets promoted, as long as it isn't a Premiers sides reserve team.

Shels to win it, Dundalk on there 6th annual bottling of the 1st Division and Waterford dropping vital points.

Nope, if one of the non reserve teams finishes in the top 4 of the A-Championship they get a play off.

A package arrived for Dundalk.

Bottles.jpg

Some bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

I reckon it'll be Waterford or Shels to go up.
    Dundalk will bottle, and Fingal have lost form.
    I hate to say it, but Waterford look more likely :(
    Shels need Bisto back, and scoring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Shels and Wahurford to go up hopefully, though if we go up we're gonna need to do some serious strengthening over the close season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Shels and Wahurford to go up hopefully, though if we go up we're gonna need to do some serious strengthening over the close season.

Just one team going up this year.

It's going to be Dundalk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Dundalk will bottle it again, its the nature of the club to make a mess of it. Between Shels and Waterford realistically and I hope Waterford do it, would bring far more to the top flight than the other three contenders.

LMAO at Shels fans having a go at Fingal. This would be the same Shels who franchised into a Northside team and had a budget with no bearing whatsoever on their minuscule attendences? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Shels to win it, Dundalk on there 6th annual bottling of the 1st Division and Waterford dropping vital points.
    Des wrote: »
    A package arrived for Dundalk.

Bottles.jpg

Some bottle.
    This just in:
    Dundalk are still top of the division and have beaten both challengers for the division in recent weeks. Both Shels and Waterford came to Oriel Park with the chance of fcuking up Dundalks title challenge and both left without a point. You could say they bottled it.

LMAO at Shels fans having a go at Fingal.

Well they were basically the "replacement" team for Shels as the FAI didn't think we'd make the 2007 season, we're still here Delaney, we're still here. Have alot of debts unlike yourselves, but once the sale of Tolka is done we'll be debt free most likely with a couple of million to invest in a stadium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

I'd love to see us get back in the big time, but I'd fear for our future financially if promotion doesn't bring in the crowds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,960 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Dundalk will bottle it again, its the nature of the club to make a mess of it. Between Shels and Waterford realistically and I hope Waterford do it, would bring far more to the top flight than the other three contenders.

Such as? :confused:
    LMAO at Shels fans having a go at Fingal. This would be the same Shels who franchised into a Northside team and had a budget with no bearing whatsoever on their minuscule attendences? :rolleyes:

Rovers franchising into a Tallaght club having years ago franchised into a Milltown club. :rolleyes: Great budgeting from Shamrock in 2006. :rolleyes:

We're a Dublin club. Winning senior trophies at national level and representing our great city with distinction long before you were even playing at senior level.

http://www.rte.ie/aertel/414-02.html

Ah yes.

Where's the bottles Dundalk?:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Top of the league and laughing at Dundalk

2nd in the league and looking on in disbelief at Dundalk.:(

Remaining Fixtures:
    Shels:
    Wexford (H)
    Longford (A)
    Fingal (H)
    Waterford (A)
    Limerick (H)

Dundalk:
    Fingal (H)
    Waterford (A)
    Limerick (H)
    Athlone (A)
    Kildare (A)

Waterford:
    Limerick (A)
    Dundalk (H)
    Kildare (A)
    Shelbourne (H)
    Monaghan (A)

Shels with the toughest run in. Waterford with maybe marginally the easiest. Waterford V Dundalk game is gonna be massive.

Pighead prediction: Shels will not win this league.

• Advertisement

O_o if it's still all to play for, Waterford vs. Shelbourne is going to be HUGE

I honestly reckon going down there will be make or break.

We'll be ahead by a few points. If we win, we'll win the league down there, lose and yous will be ahead going into the last game.

Way I see it heading.

deise59 wrote: »
    O_o if it's still all to play for, Waterford vs. Shelbourne is going to be HUGE

Depending on results up to then it might be live on TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Depending on results up to then it might be live on TV.

Waterford fans will have a good excuse not to turn up then :rolleyes:

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    Waterford fans will have a good excuse not to turn up then :rolleyes:

Sad but true. I could easily see the Waterford board appealing the decision for that very reason if it does indeed get live coverage.

deise59 wrote: »
    Sad but true. I could easily see the Waterford board appealing the decision for that very reason if it does indeed get live coverage.
    In fairness, it would mean I'd get to see the match, rather than just lurking around Shelsweb looking for updates :p
    ...but yeah, I can see why the match being televised would be bad. Stick to the WLRFM coverage!

• Advertisement

In fairness, it would mean I'd get to see the match, rather than just lurking around Shelsweb looking for updates :p
    ...but yeah, I can see why the match being televised would be bad. Stick to the WLRFM coverage!

You better be at the last 5 games, haven't seen you at a match in a few weeks.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

I just couldn't bring myself to post here past couple of weeks , my stomach is sick at the thoughts of spending another year in the graveyard. Dundalk just dont see too want it. Saying that does anyone want it. Next season will be the toughest first division in a long time.

Won't be a graveyard next season, you'll have Cork, Drogs, maybe Bohs, then Galway, Sligo, sure a few others financial problems will arise resulting in teams not getting Premier Division licenses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

elephant graveyard , ask your teacher about that tomorrow :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Sarge wrote: »
    elephant graveyard , ask your teacher about that tomorrow :D

You'd be the experts on that! ;)

• Advertisement

You better be at the last 5 games, haven't seen you at a match in a few weeks.;)
    Yeah... I haven't been at one since Longford Town...
    I may make the trip down to Waterford yet...

Please close this thread. My head hurts when i think about our last few weeks.
    I'm blaming Monaghan for everything. Them and that shitehole of a ground. Century homes park. Stupid fcuking name. It's in the middle of nowhere, no houses in sight hardly.

Don't get me started on Wexford Youths. Loads of overage players clearly....

Any chance that enough teams in the Prem will be liquidated and we will get promoted even if we don't? If you know what i mean..:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

ibh wrote: »
    Any chance that enough teams in the Prem will be liquidated and we will get promoted even if we don't? If you know what i mean..:confused:

That would require the FAI understanding, following, and applying their own rules. So, no! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Sarge wrote: »
    I just couldn't bring myself to post here past couple of weeks , my stomach is sick at the thoughts of spending another year in the graveyard. Dundalk just dont see too want it. Saying that does anyone want it. Next season will be the toughest first division in a long time.

Is that a polite way of saying that Dundalk have bottled it again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Dundalk have a big game Thurs night against Sporting Fingal. A win for Fingal could make the run in very interesting indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,960 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Still all to play for. Dundalk are only a goal behind us. Could be all change by 10pm Friday night.

Hopefully not though! :D

Top of the table once more. 2-1 win included a peach of a goal from Mulvenna. That's Waterford, Shelbourne and Sporting Fingal all sent home from Oriel without a point over the past 6 weeks.

Pessure back on Shels and Waterford now. Hopefully Wexford play as well as they did last week.

Pighead wrote: »
    Top of the table once more. 2-1 win included a peach of a goal from Mulvenna. That's Waterford, Shelbourne and Sporting Fingal all sent home from Oriel without a point over the past 6 weeks.

Pessure back on Shels and Waterford now. Hopefully Wexford play as well as they did last week.

Brilliant goal from Mulvenna, but should also memtion the terrible, cynical tackle that took him out of the game, and could rule him out for the rest of the season. Brian Kelly (i think it was him?) basically lifted him out of it because he had been running their defence ragged, and the ref only booked him. Probably one of the reasons that John Gill has been holding him back this season. Small, fast kid who takes on defenders is bound to get the shite kicked out of him.

Good result last night all the same. Should have scored a few more, which could be vital in the end, if goal difference plays a part in deciding this title. I would be worried however if our strikeforce for the Waterford game consisted of Vaughan and Robbie Farrell. Just no pace to ever get in behind a defence.

ibh wrote: »
    I would be worried however if our strikeforce for the Waterford game consisted of Vaughan and Robbie Farrell. Just no pace to ever get in behind a defence.
    Farrell won't be playing. He's banned for next weeks game. Will probably be Dessie Baker if he gets over his bug. Next week would be a god time for Baker to show us he's not over the hill.

Sickener losing Mulvenna at such a vital stage of the season.

Pighead wrote: »
    Sickener losing Mulvenna at such a vital stage of the season.

Just like when we lost Bisto in the Summer.

Difference is though, our players have bottle.

• Advertisement
Advertisement