Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stone-Age diet

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

i find some of the low carb diets ridiculous but the one owsley stanley lives by really takes the biscuit! NO VEGETABLES? thats a step too far TBH, and he is blaming a recent heart attack on the "poisonous" brocolli that his mum fed him as a child ... Most people would agree that bad carbs should be cut down / eliminated but i dont see any reason for the average person to cut out ANY vegetables, milk, pulses or oats.

on a slight aside, have any posters come across a technique called food optimisation? A quick google reveals its something promoted by slimmers world - an elderly relative lost 4 stone by buying the book and following the plan .. He had already tried low carb, lipotrim, calorie counting and practically every other diet out there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Once, to prove a point, I spent a week eating only what I could gather or kill. Since I live in Dublin and didn't fancy a constant diet of rat, I did buy whatever fish or meat that I knew I could catch and kill myself if necessary.

I ate a lot of vegetables! Not broccoli and spinach, but lots of nettles, dandelion, wild garlic, sorrel, stuff like that.

I'm pretty convinced that if you were a genuine hunger gatherer, you'd probably eat meat on a feast or famine basis, but you'd eat a lot of green stuff every day.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

corkcomp wrote: »
    i find some of the low carb diets ridiculous but the one owsley stanley lives by really takes the biscuit! NO VEGETABLES? thats a step too far TBH, and he is blaming a recent heart attack on the "poisonous" brocolli that his mum fed him as a child ... Most people would agree that bad carbs should be cut down / eliminated but i dont see any reason for the average person to cut out ANY vegetables, milk, pulses or oats.

on a slight aside, have any posters come across a technique called food optimisation? A quick google reveals its something promoted by slimmers world - an elderly relative lost 4 stone by buying the book and following the plan .. He had already tried low carb, lipotrim, calorie counting and practically every other diet out there!

Yeah, he also smoked in his younger years and did a LOT of drugs in the 1960's.. yeah, it was the meat..

By that rationale, vegetarianism gives you breast cancer, just look at Linda McCartney.

What you can eat: Lean meat and fish. Fresh fruit and vegetables. Eggs. Dried fruit (without added sugar or vegetable oil). Nuts and seeds.

You'll find 99% of Low carb plans advocate good veg packed with nutrients.. try not eating loads of greens when you can't pad out your calories with nutritionally defunct potatoes and wheat, it's virtually impossible.

No wonder the low carb lifestyle has such a bad name in the media, as Mark Twain said:

"The truth is easily vanquished but a well told lie is immortal"

neddas wrote: »
    Where does it say no vegetables??

What you can eat: Lean meat and fish. Fresh fruit and vegetables. Eggs. Dried fruit (without added sugar or vegetable oil). Nuts and seeds.

No wonder the low carb lifestyle has such a bad name in the media, as Mark Twain said:

"The truth is easily vanquished but a well told lie is immortal"

in fairness, if your going to attack a post at least get the facts straight. If you read to the end of the article you will see that Stanley's regeime does not allow any vegetables

Stanley recently posted his seven rules for healthy eating on the internet. They are:

* Eat only food from animals

* No vegetables

* Limit liver intake

* Avoid milk (except for butter and cheese)

* Eat as much fat as you like

* Don't cook your food much

* Avoid salt

in fairness, if your going to attack a post at least get the facts straight. If you read to the end of the article you will see that Stanley's regeime does not allow any vegetables

Stanley recently posted his seven rules for healthy eating on the internet. They are:

* Eat only food from animals

* No vegetables

* Limit liver intake

* Avoid milk (except for butter and cheese)

* Eat as much fat as you like

* Don't cook your food much

* Avoid salt

Yeah, I quickly realised my mistake and edited it. Sue me.

Ah, twouldn't be a low carb thread unless you came on to mock us all..

Twould be a duller thread if we all agreed with one another for sure :D

Personally, I don't have time to go and antagonise people on the vegan forums, maybe it'd be more interesting if I did..

• Advertisement

neddas wrote: »
    Yeah, I quickly realised my mistake and edited it. Sue me.

Ah, twouldn't be a low carb thread unless you came on to mock us all..

Twould be a duller thread if we all agreed with one another for sure :D

Personally, I don't have time to go and antagonise people on the vegan forums, maybe it'd be more interesting if I did..

good! i noticed that ...

If you read my post fully though you would have seen we were singing from the same hynm sheet in ways .. I did say all processed grains should be cut out. Also, i was specifically criticising Stanleys "healthy" lifestyle rather than low carb in general and i stand over that .. i mean come on .. poisonous brocolli caused him to have a heart attack? i dont think so lol :D see, i can never understand why people who recommend low carb often (not always!) recommend people to eat as much saturated fat as they like .. its perfectly possibly to eat low carb without clogging your ateries .. lots of fruit, veg, lean meat, fish, dairy etc and use healthy fats like olive oil

good! i noticed that ...

If you read my post fully though you would have seen we were singing from the same hynm sheet in ways .. I did say all processed grains should be cut out. Also, i was specifically criticising Stanleys "healthy" lifestyle rather than low carb in general and i stand over that .. i mean come on .. poisonous broccoli caused him to have a heart attack? i dont think so lol :D

Oh no, that guy is a complete nutbar.. I read his website.. he lost me around the point where he said he moved to Australia to await the end of the world.. even low carb forums have 13 page arguments with him..

he crazy..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

EileenG wrote: »
    Once, to prove a point, I spent a week eating only what I could gather or kill. Since I live in Dublin and didn't fancy a constant diet of rat, I did buy whatever fish or meat that I knew I could catch and kill myself if necessary.

That's cool!

Advertisement