Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Strange signal drop today

• 05-10-2008 8:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭

Fantastic day here in the west, But strange things have been happening my end. Ive noticed signal drop on weaker satellites during the day until the sun set. examle 26 east, MBC transponder usually 69-72% quality in good weather today 64/65% (Break up). 1 west the same as well, all channels down in quality until sun set? BBC1 London usually 85% quality, but earlier only 79/80% up until now back up to 84/85%????

Im on a 1.1m with .2lnb.

Could it be the sun on the brick work of the house or on the dish etc causing some expansion/movement?

Ive never really noticed this before, Just today? I was actually wondering if something was up with my set up. I did notice nudging the dish west on most sats increased the signal?

But like I say, All back to normal now its dark?

Plus ive noticed its actually quite cold outside now, Weather station reading 7.4c at 20.00 here in Mayo.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭bazzer

Isn't this one of those times of the year when the sun appears to be in the same location as satellites? The sun increases the background noise level to such an extent that regular satellite signals are swamped for a while as it makes its way across the arc. The whole thing should only last a couple of days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

snaps wrote: »
    Fantastic day here in the west, But strange things have been happening my end. Ive noticed signal drop on weaker satellites during the day until the sun set. examle 26 east, MBC transponder usually 69-72% quality in good weather today 64/65% (Break up). 1 west the same as well, all channels down in quality until sun set? BBC1 London usually 85% quality, but earlier only 79/80% up until now back up to 84/85%????

Im on a 1.1m with .2lnb.

Could it be the sun on the brick work of the house or on the dish etc causing some expansion/movement?

Ive never really noticed this before, Just today? I was actually wondering if something was up with my set up. I did notice nudging the dish west on most sats increased the signal?

But like I say, All back to normal now its dark?

Plus ive noticed its actually quite cold outside now, Weather station reading 7.4c at 20.00 here in Mayo.

Same problems here today Snaps, was setting up a mates 1m dish and motor and noticed very odd signal levels for what in my opinion was a good alignment. Rang him earlier and he is now getting a good signal on channels that were blocky at best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

very interesting. Ill take a look to see whats happening today!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭Connacht

Snaps,
    I'm here in Mayo also.
    I installed an 80cm Triax dish a few weeks ago to capture French FTA on Atlantic Bird 3 at 5.0 W and 28.4 degrees 'up'.
    While I caught the image no problem with very good picture and sound, the quality is never over 80%.
    However, whenever it rains (and you know that happens in Mayo) the picture goes down.
    This evening, even tho it has stoped raining, the picture is not back, but later / tomorrow morn it will be back again.
    Any ideas what's wrong ? Surely sat dishes are not supposed to go down just because it's raining ?
    Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

1613127669_6c6e8be261_o.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Connacht wrote: »
    Snaps,
    I'm here in Mayo also.
    I installed an 80cm Triax dish a few weeks ago to capture French FTA on Atlantic Bird 3 at 5.0 W and 28.4 degrees 'up'.
    While I caught the image no problem with very good picture and sound, the quality is never over 80%.
    However, whenever it rains (and you know that happens in Mayo) the picture goes down.
    This evening, even tho it has stoped raining, the picture is not back, but later / tomorrow morn it will be back again.
    Any ideas what's wrong ? Surely sat dishes are not supposed to go down just because it's raining ?
    Thanks.

It may not be raining where you are, but it may be raining hard between the dish and the satellite your recieving from. You know how local the rain storms can be here. it can be raining a mile down the road (between the line of sight of satellite and dish) but not currently where you are and still effect the signal.

Advertisement