Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

navy comm ops

• 05-10-2008 8:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭

Im considering joining the navy to become a communications operative, what are the chances of getting this role? If I had prior courses done in ship board radio communications would it help my chances?
    Basically I want to be a radio officer but there are no more jobs like this on merchant ships since GMDSS came out.
    Any ideas? thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭IRISH RAIL

Im sure it wouldnt do any harm to have an amatuer radio licence classes are starting around now check out the iars or hobby radio on the tech forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Im considering joining the navy to become a communications operative, what are the chances of getting this role? If I had prior courses done in ship board radio communications would it help my chances?
    Basically I want to be a radio officer but there are no more jobs like this on merchant ships since GMDSS came out.
    Any ideas? thanks

If thats your choice there's every chance you'll get a comm-op's course after training.

PM me for more information if you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

IRISH RAIL wrote: »
    Im sure it wouldnt do any harm to have an amatuer radio licence classes are starting around now check out the iars or hobby radio on the tech forum

The OP's comm-op (in the Navy I think they're still called Telegraphers, ie the Army's signalman/woman comm-ops equivalent rank in the NS is 'A/Tel for Able-telegrapher) course bears no relation to the HAM radio course.

There used to be similarities between the Amateur Radio licence and the radio operators course in the defence forces but I'm sure thats well gone.

Advertisement