Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Over valued for VRT - ROS

Options
  • 05-10-2008 8:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭

Hi

I was listing to Radio 1 the other day and they were on about VRT on line system about cars, they were bascially saying that the Revenue are over pricing cars and that you can get a refund as the open market price of 2nd hand cars has fallen so much over the past 4 months. I have just bought a 2007 C200 Merc from UK with 9k miles for €24k and if I include VRT quote on the Web it comes in at €34k. I checked with all Merc Garages here and they could not even give me a 2006 C 200 for that Price. Has anyone heard anything as I am about to pay the VRT this week

Cheers

Ps if any one is interested in Dealer where I bought it PM me there are some great Bargins to be got over in UK

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Gypo

Hi,

What exact model have you bought, or even better what was the OMSP on revenue.ie when you calculated the VRT?

In order to have a legitimate appeal you would need to be able to provide evidence that the OMSP is not representative of the actual price the car is selling for on the open market. Exactly how you would provide this evidence, I'm not quite sure, but I'm sure other posters on here would be able to give you a pointer.

You should also be aware that the price quoted on revenue.ie might not be what you will be charged by revenue, depending on the spec of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

Just an idea but could you get a stock list or some other form of written confirmation of asking prices and/or selling prices from dealers. I presume buy and sell or autotrader ads wouldn't be deemed official enough for the revenue...even though they are the true reflection of OMSP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭boardsie08

dunser wrote: »
    Hi

I was listing to Radio 1 the other day and they were on about VRT on line system about cars,

Don't suppose you remember which show this was on? Is it still on the rte website? Wouldn't mind hearing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Car-dealer

Hi Folks

of all cars imported and VRTed last year only around 1% of people challenged the Open Market Selling Rate (OMSP) and of these around 90% were successful.

My advice would be for everyone that imports to challenge and appeal - just find car adds with prices - and make sure to say these are only asking prices (not acheived prices - as achieved prices are lower).

If you appeal you will most likely get money back - the whole vrt system is a scam, shouldnt even exist, but if they are going to take your money, do your best to fight for some of it back, as they are robbing people blind with over-inflated prices.

The guy on the radio the other day (radio 1) from SIMI saying SIMI had no part to play in fixing prices with the Revenue - well I dont believe him! The whole thing is a fix - and this coming from a car dealer. A small but fair one at that!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Car-dealer wrote: »
    Hi Folks

of all cars imported and VRTed last year only around 1% of people challenged the Open Market Selling Rate (OMSP) and of these around 90% were successful.
    Car-dealer wrote: »
    If you appeal you will most likely get money back
    Can anyone else see the flaw in the logic here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭madds

No? 9 out of every 10 people who appealed got some sort of return from the Revenue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Gypo

Me neither! :D Maybe I'm missing something, what were you thinking Anan1?

madds wrote: »
    No? 9 out of every 10 people who appealed got some sort of return from the Revenue.
    Think harder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭dunser

The Progam was Derek Mooney on Radio one. Cant Rem which day it was.
    I am hoping to Register the car on Thursday as I reckon the Goverment will do something to increase it in the Budget on Wed Week. Can anyone recommend how I get the value of the car for VRT. I was going to chance driving the car on UK plates as the company I work for are based in UK and I could use Addess of my Aunt. The whole VRT thing is huge scam and is really illegal in the eyes of the EU. someone should challenge it!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

90% of appeals are successful = If you appeal, you will most likely get money back.

Or are we all out of step except Anan1?

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

I imported last year and never knew that you could appeal what the revenue charged for VRT. How would someone go about appealing the VRT that they paid last year? Or is it possible since a period of time has passed since the VRT was paid?

You have two months to lodge an appeal.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

Anan, any chance you could quit the pseudo cryptic bullsh*t and state your case?

Oilrig wrote: »
    Anan, any chance you could quit the pseudo cryptic bullsh*t and state your case?
    Use your head. 1% of people currently appeal. 99% don't. Do you honestly think that those 99% would have the same 90% success rate, if they chose to appeal, as the 1%? Or might it be that the 1% appeal because they are the ones with particularly compelling grounds for appeal?

Use yours. 99% either couldn't be bothered, or don't know about the appeal process, or don't feel badly done by.

So, if more people who feel badly done by do appeal, do you really think they have less than a 50:50 chance of being successful? That's what your 'logic' suggests.

Not your ornery onager

esel wrote: »
    Use yours. 99% either couldn't be bothered, or don't know about the appeal process, or don't feel badly done by.
    Sure, but we have no idea in what proportions.
    So, if more people who feel badly done by do appeal, do you really think they have less than a 50:50 chance of being successful? That's what your 'logic' suggests.
    I don't know what their chances of success are. Neither do you, a 1% non-representative sample can't tell anyone that.

Which makes this -
    90% of appeals are successful = If you appeal, you will most likely get money back.
    bullsh1t.

Ah, right so, Ted.

Not your ornery onager

Like I said, Dougal, it's not rocket science.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

I have just bought a 2007 C200 Merc from UK with 9k miles for €24k and if I include VRT quote on the Web it comes in at €34k. I checked with all Merc Garages here and they could not even give me a 2006 C 200 for that Price. Has anyone heard anything as I am about to pay the VRT this week

So the revenue are undervaluing your car?
    Why would you want to appeal that?

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

Hi
    I have just bought a 2007 C200 Merc from UK with 9k miles for €24k and if I include VRT quote on the Web it comes in at €34k. I checked with all Merc Garages here and they could not even give me a 2006 C 200 for that Price. Has anyone heard anything as I am about to pay the VRT this week

Now you need to add the options to the value of car.
    1. Metallic Paint
    2. ???
    3. ???

Revenue inspect 'premium' branded cars like Audi, BMW, Mercedes for optional extra's. They will take the VIN number and send its to Rosslare to check what options were originally fitted to the car. They will then come back with revised OMSP. You will then pay VRT on that. I am currently waiting on revenue to come back with revised OMSP to me. Should hopefully hear today. If I were you I would keep an eye out on similar spec cars and advertised selling price as you maybe in for a shock when you see revised price, it maybe be more then the prices advertised online and in papers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

Last year is a lot different from this year in the car market as we (and motor dealers especially) know. This year is the first time ROS VRT have ever had to deal with falling prices.

Anyone following the ROS valuations in detail over the last six months?
    Has there been a decrease in the valuations?
    Do they determine values from advertised prices or actual traded sales?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,196 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Sandwich wrote: »
    Anyone following the ROS valuations in detail over the last six months?
    Has there been a decrease in the valuations?

I have,

My car had an OMSP of €14500 in July
    In september it had an OMSP of €19,700
    In October it now has an OMSP of €17,600

It's like those shops you go into that jack up all the prices before a sale and then reduce them to prices higher than they were selling before the sale...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Anan1 wrote: »
    Sure, but we have no idea in what proportions.

I don't know what their chances of success are. Neither do you, a 1% non-representative sample can't tell anyone that.

Which makes this - bullsh1t.

I'll dispute that - if 9 out of 10 appeals are successful and one more person appeals then statistically that person still has a 90% or as near as chance of success also.

Also you don't take into account that those people who do appeal are at least 90% justified in looking for an appeal as they have researched the market prices and found a significant error in pricing; which is why they appeal - DOH! Hence, logically, everyone who actually appeals still has a 90% chance of success.

I'll dispute that - if 9 out of 10 appeals are successful and one more person appeals then statistically that person still has a 90% or as near as chance of success also.

Also you don't take into account that those people who do appeal are at least 90% justified in looking for an appeal as they have researched the market prices and found a significant error in pricing; which is why they appeal - DOH! Hence, logically, everyone who actually appeals still has a 90% chance of success.
    This may well have made perfect sense at 3.42am, but it makes no sense now.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭dunser

The Dam VRT ...... Yesterday I got my VRT quote on web as being €10k, they did not have the specific model on their list but guess what its on it today and its €2k more. What feckin .........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

It BeeMee wrote: »
    So the revenue are undervaluing your car?
    Why would you want to appeal that?

thats how i read it too

are the rest of you seeing something we aren't

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Tigger wrote: »
    thats how i read it too

are the rest of you seeing something we aren't

Nope. I read it like that too. Was going to say it then convinced myself I was missing something.

Stekelly wrote: »
    Nope. I read it like that too. Was going to say it then convinced myself I was missing something.
    Me too, but after my experience with the whole 1% = everybody thing I just wasn't bothered getting into it.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭Blunder

Would you have grounds for appeal based on the Level of Emmissions?

I bought a car recently up the north. I checked the ROS website for the VRT before I bought the car and it stated the VRT at €1,800 with the emmissions at 129g/km(I think). All was fine and Dandy until I went into the Tax office to pay the VRT and yer one said that there was a slight difference in the emmissions on the MOT cert and the VRT enquiry. The MOT cert stated the emmissions as being 168g/km. This put the VRT up to €2,800. After some haggling and changing of details the price came down to €2,500. After this I went back to the Manufacturer of the car to check what their emmissions are and also the manual in the car and they both state that the emmisions to be 129g/km.I was thinking of getting the car checked somewhere for the emmissions to see what they are coming up to be. Since this I have had the car back to the dealer due to a problem with the Exhaust system of the car and I was thinkin this may have lead to an incorrect reading in the MOT.

So Back to my original question, Are emmissions a basis for appealing the price of the VRT?

• Advertisement

Anan1 wrote: »
    Me too, but after my experience with the whole 1% = everybody thing I just wasn't bothered getting into it.;)
    I am interested in your appealing theory, and would like to subscribe to your newsletter. 99% of posters are not, and would not. :pac:

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement