Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

shift work

Options
  • 05-10-2008 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭

had a quick look through previous posts and cant find any answers..
    I work shift work. changing fromm day shifts to nightshifts on a monthly basis.
    Anyone got any tips for recovering from nightshifts?

Comments

stek wrote: »
    had a quick look through previous posts and cant find any answers..
    I work shift work. changing fromm day shifts to nightshifts on a monthly basis.
    Anyone got any tips for recovering from nightshifts?

When i did it, and im not reccomending this, because i doubt its healthy for you (but it worked.. for me, anyway)

When you go from night shift to day shift, skip a nights sleep. That way, instead of being awake at night as the previous month would have you feeling, you'll be absolutely wrecked and will sleep through it no problem.

The only issue with this is... you have to fight off the sleep during the day and try to do things to keep you awake, which can be very tough.

Its worth trying though, but remember, if you do try it out, because you're staying awake longer than normal, you'll sleep longer too, so if you're going to do this the day before working a day shift (im assuming you end night shifts on a friday and start days on a monday, leaving you with the weekend off) make sure you go to bed earlier than usual, or you'll be tired going to work on monday morning.

So, in essence:

when you wake up on saturday (at whatever time), dont sleep until sunday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

When im coming off from night shifts,get in at 8:15am,i try to get up as early as possible,1 or 2 pm.

And then go do something,like the gym,meet up with mates,anything really and then try to get a good night sleep,few beers can help with this :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭T Corolla

i agree with the second thread. going without sleep is not good for your health. the main thing is to get up and do something physical like going to a gym. Then when the body get tired do something mentallly changelling and you will sleep like a log that night This has worked for me for the last number of years. ;)

Advertisement