Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air test

Options
  • 05-10-2008 9:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

When I was in the RAF, I'd just done an electrical repair to a Canberra when I was working on 617 Squadron. I went into the flight office to sign up and there was a pilot waiting to do the air test. I signed the F700 and he said "Lets both test it". This often happens, it keeps ground crew on their toes. We went and started strapping in, when the pilot said to me. "If I say eject, eject, don't say "What". You'll be talking to yourself". All good clean fun for the kiddies!!!!

Ken

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

That's one way of pilots making sure you havent messed up your work!!! :)

Any other good stories from your RAF time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Canberra man

We had a new electrician on the squadron and I was showing him round the Lincoln. The NAAFI wagon had just been and it was a cold day, so we took buns and coffee up into the nose out of the wind. I carried on telling about the do's and dont's of the Lincoln. We had finished break and before I could stop him, the new lad threw his coffee dregs down what looked like a drain in the floor, I knew what it was! There was a thud and a bang and a ten man dinghy popped out of the wing root. The look alike drain was the flotation switch for the dinghy in case of a ditching at sea. I had to put him on a charge and he got seven days confined to camp and had to pay £5 toward putting the dinghy back in its stowage, happy sailing.

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Good Lord , I had to actually check what a Lincoln was ....!

So 617 flew Canberras ? I only rememeber them with Tornado's ( and of course in film with Lancasters ).

Nice stories , keep them flowing

We had a Canberra with a strange engine fault, after about 15 mins flight, both engines would be down 30% thrust. A lot of things were looked at, a lot of things were changed, to no avail. Rolls Royce were contacted and duly, their 'Boffin' arrived. The engines were run up and listened to. Then all was shut down and she was pushed into the hangar. The 'boffin' showed his nasty side by telling the lads to get the f
    g cowlings off, that wasn't his job, to say he was disliked was an understatement! Two days later my F/Sgt told me someone at dispersal thought one of the fuel pumps was noisy, if it was faulty, it could be changed while the plane was grounded. I went into the hangar and looked round and no one appeared to be working on the aircraft. I looked into the cockpit, there were no warning signs posted, so I climbed in, switched on the power and switched on the suspect pump. It was then I heard it, half shout, half gurgle and this apparition appeared at the cockpit door, it was the 'boffin' covered from head to foot with kerosene. He just managed to choke and gurgle the words. "Your for it, I'm going to the F/Sgt. He squelched away and I didn't know wether to laugh or cry! The squelching started again as he came back preceded by that stench of aviation kerosene. He'd swallowed most of it by now and could speak more clearly, he told me I was 'for it' and the F/sgt wanted to see me. He accompanied me to the office (still squelching somewhat) and as I tapped on the door and a stern voice bade me enter and shut the door. As I went in, the 'boffin' disappeard, in a puff of smoke for all I cared. As I shut the door and turned round a big grin split the F./sgts face. He said good show, that prat has been upsetting everybody, I've told the CO and he's still laughing, When he gets on the starboard side,do it again. I didn't have to, he left the next day and the new man had it sorted in half a day.

Ken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Canberra Man, welcome!

Keep up the posts and some pictures would be nice too,

Kind Regards,

David.

:)

• Advertisement

Hi.

Thanks for the welcome. I'm afraid there's no photo's, these little episodes go back to the fifties and many an album goes missing after that time. I'll look through my aviation mags and find some Canberra and Lincoln photos.

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Fionn101

hi Canberra man,

really brilliant stories , keep them coming.

Before the RAF, I did my NS in the Royal Artillery on ack ack. We did a practice camp at Towyn in West Wales. Three batteries, eighteen 3.7 guns, what a racket. One day we had an amusing episode, by way, you aviation buffs, the plane towing the drogue was a Miles Master, that dates me! We were all banging away, when one gun got its bearing mixed up, the shell exploded 330 feet (old Money!) in front of the aircraft, we could hear what was going on, we had an open link tannoy system. The pilot shouted, "I'm pulling this B
    d, not pushing it!) The next situation was all mine! We were banging away, when suddenly, no bang, just 'click'. The range safety officer roared out. " No 2 gun misfire, all gun crews take cover, No 2 crew stand fast". Ooh! it was quiet. The action was recocked and fired. Click. The sgt checked his watch and said to the officer. "five minutes sir" and he nodded, it was a long five minutes. Action recocked and fired, 'click'. The crew new what was coming and there was a scramble to hide benind the man in front! The officer looked at me and said."Gun No 3, safety range". I went to the platform and the breech was opened and the shell slid gently out into the cradle, it was stopped half way and the percussion cap checked, it was dented, so it was a faulty shell. It was handed down to me, these shells weigh 44lbs (old money again!) and three quarters of that is bangy stuff! I walked away from the gun and thought I'd get it over with and started to trot, his nibs shouted, "Walk youll jar it". That made sense, so I walked, got to the safety pit, laid it very reverently down, covered it with four sand bags, then I ran! One good thing, I had the rest of the day off and a "well done" entry on my conduct sheet.

Ken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

excellent stuff

no doubt a new pair of "Underwear, Medium, for the wearing of" required as well!!

I take it you were based at Lossiemouth during your time, if you did NS, did you get out to Cyprus as well?

My old boss was a rock ape and spent two years out there during the troubles, he could tell some great stories about that time. I recall one about sheep being herded up to the barb wire by Cypriot shepherds knowing they would set off the trip wires and be blasted to bits by trigger happy squadies. Apparantly the British paid twice as much compensation for a dead sheep as the the farmer could get at market. A lot of sheep met their end that way.:D

Hi.
    I was actually stationed at Bulford, Carter Barracks in Wiltshire. It was a dead hole! We did have one good time. in 1949, there was a country wide dock strike and we went to Avon Mouth at Bristol unloading ships. Being young lads, we got up tp some mischief. Gambling was banned in the dock area, the typical game was called 'liney'. A chalk line was drawn on the ground and the gamblers would crowd round about 6 or 7 deep. The old shilling piece was the bait! Another chalk line was placed three inches (75mm) either side of the centre line. the nearest shilling to the centre line, takes all in the two outer lines. The dockers ar constantly milling round so the inner circle is always changing. The man who lands ON the centre line takes all! The dock police are always on the look out for groups of dockers and the chink of money. It is a criminal offence on dock land. Us lads thought of a wheeze. We got a big gang together and there were clinks of metal and shouts of encouragement and sure enough up came the police in large numbers (we'll get these army lads) They pushed their way into the centre and there were two lads sat on the ground throwing steel washers up in the air to the accompanyment of good one, smashing, good hit! Luckily, they saw the funny side!!

Ken

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Ginge

Hi.
    I was actually stationed at Bulford, Carter Barracks in Wiltshire. It was a dead hole! We did have one good time. in 1949, there was a country wide dock strike and we went to Avon Mouth at Bristol unloading ships. Being young lads, we got up tp some mischief. Gambling was banned in the dock area, the typical game was called 'liney'. A chalk line was drawn on the ground and the gamblers would crowd round about 6 or 7 deep. The old shilling piece was the bait! Another chalk line was placed three inches (75mm) either side of the centre line. the nearest shilling to the centre line, takes all in the two outer lines. The dockers ar constantly milling round so the inner circle is always changing. The man who lands ON the centre line takes all! The dock police are always on the look out for groups of dockers and the chink of money. It is a criminal offence on dock land. Us lads thought of a wheeze. We got a big gang together and there were clinks of metal and shouts of encouragement and sure enough up came the police in large numbers (we'll get these army lads) They pushed their way into the centre and there were two lads sat on the ground throwing steel washers up in the air to the accompanyment of good one, smashing, good hit! Luckily, they saw the funny side!!

Ken

Hi Ken,

Maybe you are able to help me.

My name is Val Jenkins (Ginge), and I was a bombardier training NS recruits and ATS girls at Carter Barracks in 1949. Quite possibly I was responsible for your training. I was also going out with one of the ATS girls called 'Danny' Cole, who was noted for having agood pair of 'lungs'.

Lately I have been trying to recall the different regiments I served with, but probably with age creeping up a little I am having trouble recalling all of them. I wonder if your memory is better than mine, would you be able to tell me what regiment we served with at Carter Barracks?

Looking forward to receiving your reply.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Ginge.

Hi Val.
    The Regiment was 46(m) HAA The CO was Lt Col Bannerman. I had already trained as a signaller at Kinmel Park in N Wales. Shows how stupid they are, I passed out second in the intake and they post me to an Ack Ack regiment, they don't use signallers, its all tannoy. I was battery clerk on 117 Battery, I've forgotten the numbers of the other two batteries.
    Did you go on the Bristol dock strike? That made a change. I was also in the battery rifle team. The first battery commander was Major Kinghorn and the next one was Major Bailward. I think the battery QM was Captain Picket. By the way I am 78. How young are you?

Ken

The tale is from a lad at Binbrook. The CO and I had taken the Air cadets to Binbrook to have a go at the Lightning simulator. Evidently one of the Lightnings had engine trouble and landed at a civvy airport. A repair team was taken in the station hack, an Oxford. When the repair was done, the pilot took his place and started up (avpin makes every body jump!) He got permission to taxi and at the holding point was told by the controller, "Be aware, there is a serious noise abatement limit 200 feet beyond the end of the runway". The pilot said "Thank you, I'll do my best." He turned on to the runway, full throttle, both after burners and went. Half way down the runway he does a full rotation and goes up vertical. At 15,000 feet he radio's the tower and says. "That suitable?"

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Fantasic story , I just loved the Lightning.

One of my best days spotting involved a short stint at Binbrook during one of the large annual NATO excersises ( Priory ? )

Anyway Binbrook was ' attacked ' by two Danish F16's , and hot on their tails were two Lightnings .... jeez the Lightnings I think won hands down , some of the best flying I ever saw . Best free airshow you will ever see.

Those NATO excerisies were great, we used to get up at 4 am , get up to the Lincolnshire triangle and have a great time watching attacks etc.

I keep on meaning to fish out my photos and scan them in.

I only remember the Canberra as a PR ship flying out of Wyton, never saw them in their ' hay day '

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Ginge

Hi Ken,

Thank you for the info on 46(m) HAA Regt. It was greatly appreciated.

No, I did not go on the Bristol dock strike. I was posted to Pontefract in 1949 to join 27 HAA Regt and 2000 of us were sent to Hong Kong to prevent 2,500,000 Chinese troops from occupying the colony!

I am now living in Australia.

Regards,

Val Jenkins.

Advertisement