Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How much room to bargain on UK prices?

Options
  • 05-10-2008 9:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭

Do English prices vary much from Northern Irish prices when it comes to cars?

What's a reasonable amount to haggle for when looking at a prospective car in the North / over in England?

A friend of mine has had her eye on a car in a dealers up in the North for a few weeks now. It's around 10k. A lot of other cars from the dealer have been dropping prices lately, usually -1k. Not the one she's been watching though.

Would 10% be the norm to haggle on prices, say on the 10k car, try to get it for around 9k, would this be realistic?

Could you possibly get more off in this climate?

Also, for arguments sake, say the 10k car she's watching drops to around 9k in the next few weeks, would it be feasible to try and bargain for another few hundred off on top of this price cut again?

Is it really a buyers market atm?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

It really depends on the actual car. Start by sounding out the seller, find out whether the car's for you, what it's worth to you, and give them to understand that you're a serious buyer. Ask them what the lowest price they'll take for the car is. Tell them you'll think about it. Call back the following day with a counter-offer. Continue until you arrive at what you feel is their absolute bottom line.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Top Dog

In my expierence you get a better reduction from the UK. If you tell a dealer in the UK that you'll be exporting the car to Ireland, then they know they won't have to provide any warranty and that the car is sold as seen, so they're more likely to give a healthier discount. The same cannot be said for cars up North as you can easily bring it back by driving. Dealers in the UK know that unless theres a truly serious problem they are highly unlikely to ever see the car again. No person is going to pay for a ferry back out of their own pocket when a similar amount of money might see the problem fixed.

Hope that makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Son

They are dearer up the north from what i can see,think the dealers have copped onto people from the south coming up.
    If buying from the UK make sure you emphasise its a trade sale (no warranty etc).You will not be coming back,what salesman wouldn't love that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Son wrote: »
    They are dearer up the north from what i can see,think the dealers have copped onto people from the south coming up.
    If buying from the UK make sure you emphasise its a trade sale (no warranty etc).You will not be coming back,what salesman wouldn't love that.

+1 on this.

If your buying in England, make the salesman aware that your there to buy a car with no warranty or any other offers attached to the car.

This reduces the price straight away.

Cars in the North are dearer alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Son wrote: »

I wouldn't go the trade route. My concern about this would be the seller being tempted not to carry out any work on the car that he knew needed doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Son

Well....if buying from an independent dealer in the UK you don't have much choice anyway,it will be a trade sale as most warrantys won't be much use outside the UK.Majority of vehicles for sale from the bigger main dealers 'have' to be prepped for sale before they go on the forecourt,so therefore any servicing work that needs doing will be done most of the time.

Advertisement