Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before....

Options
  • 05-10-2008 9:55pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

How long do you think it will be, before 100mb broadband is readily available in Ireland? Without paying crazy money, maybe like the 24mb is now...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭karlr42

When hell freezes over, a race of arctic animals evolves on it, before being inevitably wiped out by a new wave of global warming.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭barneyeile

So that will be next week then?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

In less than two year in my opinion. Two years ago 24mbit would seem just as far away as 100mbit is now. It will almost definitely be UPC who lead the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭ongarite

Its many many years away IMO. In the current climate (credit crunch) no company is going to spend the absolute shed loads of money required to do this when the ROI is so low in this country.
    I don't know why people compare Ireland to South Korea or Japan with 100MB broadband. These countries are metropolises compared to Ireland with >10 times the population density. We have one of the lowest population densities in Europe, everyone wants to live in house in countryside but not to accept the downside in infastructure thats associated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

I'd say UPC could offer it within the year. I'd say they'll go above 24Mb soon, just to have a higher speed on paper than BT / Smart. There were rumours here of them offering 40Mpbs at Christmas time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Only if they ditch the pesky TV channels :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

there was an article somewhere about UPC rolling out 100mbps to everyone in holland and somewhere else (sweden or switzerland maybe) where they said they would be rolling it out to more territories by the end of this year and all their territories in 2009.

since euroDOCSIS 3.0 (4ch) is able for 200mbit/s and 8ch is up to 400mbit/s it's certainly more than possible they'll back it up.

can't find the article now, but the link was posted here in the BB forum a month or so ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Magnet allready do a 50/50 mbs service for 95 inc TV and Telphone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

When do you think Ireland will have 100% coverage for broadband? I think thats more important at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Namesco wrote: »
    When do you think Ireland will have 100% coverage for broadband? I think thats more important at the moment.

Never, Our Government even fools the people into believing that coverage is better than it is by including mobile internet in its statistics and claiming "Ireland has the chance to become a leader in mobile communications and wireless technologies", Bollox, You can't game or do Voip on it, therefore its not broadband. How are businesses supposed to run on mobile internet or sattelite?

• Advertisement

Namesco wrote: »

Was thinking that!
    As thats more impotant than speed
    I'd like to see ASDL in my area as my wireless broadband price would either be ruducd or i'd just switch over...

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Never, Our Government even fools the people into believing that coverage is better than it is by including mobile internet in its statistics and claiming "Ireland has the chance to become a leader in mobile communications and wireless technologies", Bollox, You can't game or do Voip on it, therefore its not broadband. How are businesses supposed to run on mobile internet or sattelite?

Thats the problem here,we have wireless broadband which is all good,but the smallest things affect it.I have it,but my friend across maybe 20meters from me can't get it due to tree's.yet on the broadband coverage map its shows him as covered

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Thats fixed wireless, which is actually broadband, I was on about mobile, as in vodafone, O2 and 3 which is not broadband and shouldn't be used to dress our statistics

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Thats fixed wireless, which is actually broadband, I was on about mobile, as in vodafone, O2 and 3 which is not broadband and shouldn't be used to dress our statistics
    Yeah but what i was explainging was that the government map thing shows us as covered where as very few are...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Even on the map it says that people in the covered areas (DSL or Fixed Wireless) may not have have a service. They won't be eligible, even though this might be 10% to 20% of households in some areas.

Advertisement