Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

starter switch gone wrong

Options
  • 05-10-2008 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭

Hello ok I have a car and it has just stopped working,its second hand but I only got it 5 months ago. A friend I know just took a quick glance and said it looks like the starter switch gone.Is this expensive to get fixed the car is a Golf 00 and is NCT till year 10. Thanks Any help is appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Are you sure your friend didn't say 'starter motor'? We need more information tbh. When you say 'stopped working', do you mean 'engine died while driving' or 'will not start'?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭texas star

Sorry esel well he sent a message saying he thinks that the starter switch was gone.I had drove the car for an hour beforeh and parked it and came back and then it was dead.So know Im rightly fecked. Is this really expensive to get fixed.I did buy the car with a waranty but would rather get it fixed myself then drive to to the place I bought it as its far away from me and my car is dead so I have no way of getting it there for starters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

Texas,

Bring (call them) it back to where you got it if its under warranty.

There are several known issues with that model.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

It could be a flat battery. Were you getting a battery warning light on the dash beforehand (flickering or constant)? This might indicate that the battery was not being charged by the alternator - either battery connections are loose, or alternator is faulty.
    You could try jump-starting the car (need another car with a good battery, and a set of jump leads, and have to know the correct connection sequence).

It cound be a dead battery - do you hear a click when you turn the key?

It could be the starter motor - symptoms might be very slow turnover when you turn the key.

Most of the above will not be covered by the usual warranty given with a secondhand car btw.

Don't suppose you are in the AA? :D

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement