Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice sought>Grooming>"Furminator" tool

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Strokesfan

I got one of these, a blue one, about half as wide as that.

I have a short haired dalmation that sheds constantly. It's good for taking hairs off but it's not a quick process really, maybe that wide one would do a good job faster. I do use it but not as frequently as I thought I would.

The main advantage I can see is that's easier to pull the hairs off and keep going rather than with a bristled pet brush.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

QVC do it but not sure what the price is. Heard good things about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭pokerkingsni

If it's as good as those videos show then i'll be getting one. Videos cant be doctored can they? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭dragona

Try Christies Direct http://www.christiesdirect.com/

They have them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

Just read a warning from someone else about this brush, be careful about the kind of coat you use it on. Apparently it cuts the hair as you are brushing and on certain coats it leaves the hair curly like when you curl a ribbon.

I use a Zoom Groom for all of mine and find it brilliant, takes off loads of hair without damaging the coat at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭molly(",)

I use a Zoom Groom for all of mine and find it brilliant, takes off loads of hair without damaging the coat at all.

were did ya get the zoom groom ?? ive spent a lot on brushes n rubbish :rolleyes:ive a yellow lab n shes breaks my heart with her hairs!!tried evrything vet had her on cat food one summer n cooked meat n rice last year!!tried different dry foods too calms down for a week n den just falls of her again!! :(:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Call me Socket

I've got the wide yellow Furminator, bought it over in Crufts last year. They are expensive but well worth it. If you get it cheap then it isn't a genuine Furminator.
    I have a Sheltie X and 2 Northern Inuits, and I find the Furminator to be excellent! It really does do what it does in the video. It gradually removes the shedding undercoat without damaging the outer coat. It should only be used for 5 minutes at a time, or thereabouts, as it is quite effective and doesn't need any longer than that twice a week during shedding. You do have to be careful though about the amount of pressure you apply when using it.

Everyone has their own opinions on their own experiences of it, but it gets a big thumbs up from me anyhow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭rinnin

Thanks for the advice everyone. :D
    Had a look at christiesdirect.com. £25.52 Excl. Vat. So I thinik the eBay option is prob the best bet. Forgot to give PetStop SUperstore a ring today. Will find out tomorrow if they have any.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭flynnc

i know boardwalk pet shop in dublin stock them i got my medium one for 35.95

I wonder will anyone be selling these at the Pet Expo in the RDS over the weekend? Think my bro might be going. Will tell him to keep an eye out.
    BTW Pet Expo is €12 in. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

My bro went to the pet expo and asked someone if they had them in stock. They said they were reluctant to sell it as they found it hurts some dogs.
    I think Call me Socket's advice is a must: careful on the pressure & only use for 5 minutes at a go.
    My dog is a Cavalier King Charles, Was thinking of getting her the medium size (2.75 inches) as the small one (1.75 inches) seems tiny. She's nearly 11 & her hair is really fine and gets everywhere - had to pull one out from my eye the other day :(
    Just hope it doesnt hurt her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 dmanning

i use one of these for the last year i use it every two weeks for about ten min and my dog loves it and his coat looks and feels great
    Alot of people who stock the other cheap types will say the furminator hurts the dog,
    In all the people i have talk to that have one or sale the furminator have never come across a dog that was hurt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭magconn

molly(",) wrote: »
    were did ya get the zoom groom ?? ive spent a lot on brushes n rubbish :rolleyes:ive a yellow lab n shes breaks my heart with her hairs!!tried evrything vet had her on cat food one summer n cooked meat n rice last year!!tried different dry foods too calms down for a week n den just falls of her again!! :(:(

Hey , just wonderin if you tried the furminator on your yellow lab. I have a yellow lab also, about 6 , (called molly incidentally:P) and am just wondering if this gadget would be worth buying???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,901 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I have trained both my dogs to be hoovered. I got a stiff bush that fits the vacuum & it works like a dream. The loose hair comes out & straight up the vacuum !.

Both dogs seem to like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭molly(",)

magconn wrote: »
    Hey , just wonderin if you tried the furminator on your yellow lab. I have a yellow lab also, about 6 , (called molly incidentally:P) and am just wondering if this gadget would be worth buying???

i got somthing like it in the pet expo in the rds last year its brillant !!its not a furminator but i think its the type of brush you need for a lab i have noticed ones like it in pet shops now stating round 25 euro !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭hotredhead

Bought a furminator in Kinsealy petshop yesterday for our chocolate lab and could have made a couple more dogs with all the fur it removed:D.
    The dog didn't appear to bothered,seemed to enjoy the therapy and quite fancies his new silky slimline look!!
    Cost 48 yoyo for the large one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 princess_bride

I use a furminator on my golden retriever and he LOVES it. Gets rid of loads of dead undercoat. It's perfect for breeds like retrievers, labs etc that have thick undercoats - definitely not for breeds like cavaliers etc that have silky coats.

Edit to say I got mine from Ebay - the one in the official packaging. I saw them in Petshop superstore in Blanch a few weeks ago - think it was around 60 euro for the large!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭PinkTulips

anyone used them on cats?

my 3 have my house covered in fluff and have been eyeing up the furminator but not sure if it might be a bit on the rough side?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

I got the smallest one for the cats and dog combined (from ebay, cost 23 Euro) and it works really well! Twas like a wild west prairie town in the kitchen before! My younger female was shedding the most and I took a huge load of undercoat off her, no irritation at all. Just make sure you use it gently and you should be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭hotredhead

Oh yeah!! Don't use it when they are wet:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Discodog wrote: »
    I have trained both my dogs to be hoovered. I got a stiff bush that fits the vacuum & it works like a dream. The loose hair comes out & straight up the vacuum !.

I think this might be the coolest thing I've ever heard. :D

My cats shed, and hate being brushed, so I just hoover their room and sweep the rest of the floors every day. Still, the three youngers aren't afraid of the vacuum...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

Ordered one of the smaller ones for cats on ebay last week and can't wait for it to arrive. I am selling my house at the moment so cat hair on furniture not the best selling point.

One of my boys loves to be brushed and will stand there for hours in an orgasmic state while I brush him. It shows too as he has such a perfect clean and shiny coat. I'd say he is teased by all the other toms in the neighbourhood.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

does anyone know if it would be ok ti use the fuminator on cocker spaniels?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Big thumbs up on this one. I use the yellow one on my yellow lab and find it great, it removes all the dead undercoat. I think the first time you will use it you will get lots of hair (so dont panic).

Actually came up on another forum I was on this evening.
    http://www.tailsandtrails.ie/showthread.php?7747-That-time-of-year-again.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

LOL, I was reading down the thread thinking 'why don't they just vacuum the dogs'. Cool idea! Not sure it would work with my cat....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

One word of advice though avoid using it at this time of year imo anyway that they best time is when the weather warms up and they need rid of their winter coat if you use it at the end of the summer when they are growing their winter coat they will feel the cold. If your pooch is indoors mostly then I guess it's ok to use it year round but if your dogs hair has been fur-minated they might need a wee coat on them when going out.

We got ours from zooplus.co.uk just got the small one unless you've a very big dog the smallest one does the job for any medium to small size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

I have one but made by Mikki, much cheaper but works just as well, think it was €15

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Laney xox

Hey, I have hoovered my dogs too and my crossbreed boxer collie loves it!! Still thinking of investing in the furminator to do the heavy work though....My thinking is that the hoover would be like a little massage for them and something to keep the blood flowing too:)!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 nikobyrne

lol, im trying to get my husky used to the hoover too, he is only 5 months, but when the game of trying to eat the hoover ends, he relaxes for a while and lets me do a little on his back! But i have ordered the furminator too and will let you know how it goes! x carrie:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Laney xox

nikobyrne wrote: »
    lol, im trying to get my husky used to the hoover too, he is only 5 months, but when the game of trying to eat the hoover ends, he relaxes for a while and lets me do a little on his back! But i have ordered the furminator too and will let you know how it goes! x carrie:D
    Hiya, My hubby bought the furminator a few days ago and it is amazing! My dog loves it, the shine on his coat is so glossy and really soft, that is without him even being bathed!! :-) I have a smaller dog who does,nt seem as keen, she has little brown patches on her body where the hair seems a bit coarser, maybe this pulls a bit, I dont mind though because she does,nt shed too much anyway. Best of luck!! :-)

Advertisement