Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good to be back in the saddle!

Options
  • 05-10-2008 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭

Alrighty then, 5 weeks after the surgery on the second leg I'm back on the bike and pretty happy with things so far. Just thought I'd let yous know all is looking good.

Cycled Crumlin to Santry on Tuesday where the physio kindly told me I was fit to get back cycling :D Then from there to Sandyford and then Crumlin to Sandyford for my commute for the rest of the week....traffic seemed worse than normal so it felt great flying by. Did a nice 60km route from Crumlin to Enniskerry then up the valley to Glencree and onwards back to Cruagh and home from there. Similar route to what I did with blorg and emty just before going into the surgery....unfortunately I wasn't able to go at much more than the pace I did when holding them up that day, but it felt good just grinding it out to completion. That part up the valley to Glencree is a damn sapping ascent, hope to improve on it over the next few months.

The legs feel pretty pretty good, though when I went for a couple of laps of running afterwards to get a feel for just how far I have to go on that front as I literally could only manage a couple of laps.....made it clear I've a long way to go to getting fitness to getting back into the Boards football team, but a starts a start.

I finally fit the SPD pedals I got off TinyExplosions a while back - they're class and took no time to get used to and I can really feel the benefit they give over runners on flat pedals on the upstroke, though the hamstrings got a surprise too. It defo encourages me to go with a lower gear and higher cadence than my previous habit of trying to pound it out in as tough a gear as possible.

Have to get those BBB waterflex overshoes in Joe Dalys during the week - the Race Blade mudguards are good but the feet still get soaked.

It'll be a while yet before I feel up to a pace where I could go on one of the Boards Saturday Spins without holding the show up, and longer yet till I'm flying up Alpe D'Huez, but the worst part is over so I'll being see some of you soon enough!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭bunnygreen

Hey Frank i know the feeling,its feels great to be able to get back on the bike and i think it makes you appreciate it all the more,keep up the good work and enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭SetOverSet

Fair play, Frank. Keep it up! I'm only back cycling ~ 6mths or so myself. Pleasantly surprising how quickly a good base level of fitness returns

Advertisement