Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Irish men handsome?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭Kya1976

please don't let this thread die:p:p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Zaph wrote: »
    The question is - do you consider Irish men to be handsome? Now this isn't me or any of the lads fishing for compliments or anything, I'm genuinely curious. As a bloke I would have said that in general Irish guys are pretty average looking, neither seriously ugly or as handsome as the *insert nationality of choice*. There have been loads of AH threads comparing Eastern European women to Irish women, but how do us blokes stack up?
    Zaph, for all it's worth, we could all be wrecked, but god has blessed us with an accent and personality that goes down a treat when we travel. For some reason, an Irish man travelling in foreign lands stock is a lot higher than the competition. Thankfully. :)

I dunno about the blokes, but in my humble opinion, I think we are more polarised that other peoples. By that I mean, our uglys really are wrecked, however our beauties are unbelievable. Seriously, beautiful Irish girls are amazing. Really, really, really amazing.
    And they're Irish, so tend to be great craic.
    Plus they get our little thing that others don't pick up on - like buying a round.

I should know, I'm living with one :) Yea me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭truecrippler

I'm a hunk...

But really, from a male's point of view... THE FECKIN' HEADS ON US!!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Zulu wrote: »
    Zaph, for all it's worth, we could all be wrecked, but god has blessed us with an accent and personality that goes down a treat when we travel. For some reason, an Irish man travelling in foreign lands stock is a lot higher than the competition. Thankfully. :)
    That's soooooo true. Overseas I can expect to attract a "higher" level woman than here.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

I know. It was great when I could avail of it. :D
    Happy days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

THE FECKIN' HEADS ON US!!!
    Meh, depends... Some Irish men are hot. The same as anywhere really - law of averages and all that. Just because, for instance, most Italians have dark skin and brown eyes doesn't mean they're all gonna be gorgeous and none of them are gonna be unattractive.

And personality really, really can be a clincher. I mean, there are some Irish guys on this forum whom I've never seen but who, well maybe I'd prefer how they look with a paper bag over their heads, but I would very happily shag them based on what/how they write...
    If they were any bit hot at all, that would just be the cherry on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Nuravictus

Dudess wrote: »
    Meh, depends... Some Irish men are hot. The same as anywhere really - law of averages and all that. Just because, for instance, most Italians have dark skin and brown eyes doesn't mean they're all gonna be gorgeous and none of them are gonna be unattractive.

And personality really, really can be a clincher. I mean, there are some Irish guys on this forum whom I've never seen but who, well maybe I'd prefer how they look with a paper bag over their heads, but I would very happily shag them based on what/how they write...
    If they were any bit hot at all, that would just be the cherry on top.

Name Names :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ebmma

I dunno, my Irish guy is great looking :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Im handsome ....

So my ma says anyway ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Dudess wrote: »
    I mean, there are some Irish guys on this forum whom I've never seen but who, well maybe I'd prefer how they look with a paper bag over their heads, but I would very happily shag them based on what/how they write...

Intelligence is the ultimate turn on to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭Kya1976

Dragan wrote: »
    Intelligence is the ultimate turn on to be honest.
    both intelligence and looks is good too, but yeah I agree intelligence is sexy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 dennisthemennis

keithm1 wrote: »
    were an ugly race end of

irish a race?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Looks wise, I'm nothing near anything special, but I managed to get myself a stunner, so I must be doing something right somewhere along the line. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Jackz

Looks wise, I'm nothing near anything special, but I managed to get myself a stunner, so I must be doing something right somewhere along the line. :)

Ability to read the instructions on a chloroform bottle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭Curlypinkie

Not all of them but the ones that are good looking are feckin drop dead gorgeous.
    The ones that aren't are usually so goddam funny I pee in my paints*

I like Irish men. 'drools'

*Not literally

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

...usually so goddam funny I pee in my paints*
    *Not literally

Good, last thing you want is your walls smelling like that! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

I don't have a problem with how Irish men look. I just have a problem with how they act.

Now first, it needs to be accepted that this thread by its definition is going to be full of sweeping generalisations. :D

Irish Men - the Negatives
    1. The mammy complex. We are not your mammy. Wash your own fucking jocks.
    2. The virgins and sluts issue. I am not a virgin, but that doesn't mean I'm a slut, capiche?
    3. The deep-felt rejection. Irish men seem to have a self confidence issue that other nationalities don't suffer from as intensely. If you approach me in a bar, and I reject your advances, it's actually okay. You don't need to tell me I must be a lesbian, or I'm a stuck up bitch, or I'm not really that good looking. Honestly. You don't need to.
    4. Gift allergies. It is acceptable, when we are dating, to buy me gifts. The fact that I appreciate flowers (not the petrol station kind), love perfume and adore a surprise bottle of champagne doesn't make me a gold-digging tramp. You don't have to wait until my birthday to get me a gift, and even if you do it's generally considered good manners not to tell me how much it cost as I'm unwrapping it, okay?
    5. Presumptions of worthiness. Why is it, that if I DO wash your jocks and pretend I've never had another boyfriend and praise your ego at all times and buy YOU gifts when it's not your birthday, you behave as though that's the right and proper natural order of things and I shouldn't expect anything special in return?
    6. My friends: The Cold War Revisited. My friends are not your sworn enemies. They couldn't care less. Get over it.
    7. My friends: They Don't All Fancy You. And even if they do, that doesn't mean you're "in there".
    8. Let's talk about "You're just like your mother" and other things you should never say in a fight.

Irish Men - the Positives

When they're not up their own arses, Irish men are some of the funniest, kindest, most emotionally intelligent men in the world. If you have a good one, hold onto him.

I logged in just to say that is the most stupid post I have ever read:pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Actually can't believe I missed this one.:D Must be slipping.
    Now first, it needs to be accepted that this thread by its definition is going to be full of sweeping generalisations. :D
    Ditto. Goes without etc Cheek insert tongue :D
    Irish Men - the Negatives
    OK it begins......
    The mammy complex. We are not your mammy. Wash your own fucking jocks.
    And we're not your daddy or the lad you bonked in college that you were warned about, so leave the baggage behind. We can't fix you and your issues. It's not our jobs.
    The virgins and sluts issue. I am not a virgin, but that doesn't mean I'm a slut, capiche?
    Fair enough, but trying to disprove the former does not mean going out of your way trying to prove the latter.
    The deep-felt rejection. Irish men seem to have a self confidence issue that other nationalities don't suffer from as intensely. If you approach me in a bar, and I reject your advances, it's actually okay. You don't need to tell me I must be a lesbian, or I'm a stuck up bitch, or I'm not really that good looking. Honestly. You don't need to.
    Have you met Italian/Spanish/German/etc men?
    Gift allergies. It is acceptable, when we are dating, to buy me gifts. The fact that I appreciate flowers (not the petrol station kind), love perfume and adore a surprise bottle of champagne doesn't make me a gold-digging tramp. You don't have to wait until my birthday to get me a gift, and even if you do it's generally considered good manners not to tell me how much it cost as I'm unwrapping it, okay?
    Agreed and women should know that a little bit of thought goes a long way. A late bought DVD of some obscure movie that has nothing to do with my tastes doesn't really cut it. Plus just because it doesn't come in a tiffanys box, does not excuse your lower lip sticking out and no sex for the week. Also on the subject, sex as a bargaining tool is old and worn at this stage. One day when the blood flows upwards we'll leave(can take a while mind:D).
    Presumptions of worthiness. Why is it, that if I DO wash your jocks and pretend I've never had another boyfriend and praise your ego at all times and buy YOU gifts when it's not your birthday, you behave as though that's the right and proper natural order of things and I shouldn't expect anything special in return?
    Cos it is?
    My friends: The Cold War Revisited. My friends are not your sworn enemies. They couldn't care less. Get over it.
    Yes but as men we realise that your "friends" can be as variable as your moods every 28 days. It's hard to keep track of which ones you hate, which ones are jealous and which ones hate us. This week. It's easier to ignore them for a quiet life.
    My friends: They Don't All Fancy You. And even if they do, that doesn't mean you're "in there".
    True, but you should trust us more than your friends as all too often we are "in there". See previous point.
    Let's talk about "You're just like your mother" and other things you should never say in a fight.
    Pot. Black. Calling. Kettle. By infinity. "Things one should never say in an argument" by A. Woman. A very slim tome indeed. Avoids such chapter headings as "Well you didn't compliment me enough for that(excruciatingly dull) report I did in works that I got praised for 4 years ago" and "You fancy my prettier best friend don't you. The bitch!".

Irish Men - the Positives
    Shorter list, but fair play.
    When they're not up their own arses, Irish men are some of the funniest, kindest, most emotionally intelligent men in the world.
    So long as he agrees with you.
    If you have a good one, hold onto him.
    Goes for women too. The trick is finding one.:D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

This has probably been said already but...

Two words: Cillian Murphy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Danimalito

I

[*]The deep-felt rejection. Irish men seem to have a self confidence issue that other nationalities don't suffer from as intensely. If you approach me in a bar, and I reject your advances, it's actually okay. You don't need to tell me I must be a lesbian, or I'm a stuck up bitch, or I'm not really that good looking. Honestly. You don't need to.
    Wibbs wrote: »
    Have you met Italian/Spanish/German/etc men?

I've lived in germany 3 years and spain 1 year, i know what minesajackdaniels is on about here, and it reaaaally doesn't happen (much) outside of ireland & the uk in my experience. I'd notch this one down to the impressive amount of drink which is consumed in pubs & clubs in this country though!

What's interesting is that it seems to lead to some weird arms race, where /some/ women attempt to pre-empt this by asking a potential suitor in a pub/club to literally fcek off. Even my very shy & timid younger brother got a mouthful of that when he was visiting, after plucking up the courage to approach an irish lady to say "hi" :(

I actually felt a bit embarassed about that, cause it happened right after me goin on about how brilliant & easy-goin irish ladies are

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Cpaw

farohar wrote: »
    In general though I think considering how insular we were until recently we wouldn't have as broad a genebase as in most other countries, this is not good for producing the optimum young (for example we have an abnormally high occurance of cystic fibrosis in our population) so there is a decent chance that Irish people are on average less attractive than those in other European countries.

EXPLAIN PLEASE. Are you saying people with CF are ulgy?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,454 ✭✭✭✭cson

Where in the post did farohar say that?

I'll tell you; nowhere.

He(she??) was simply making the point that as a country with a small population, we don't have a braod genebase and as a result hereditary diseases such as CF are more prevalent in this country.

On topic; hurrah for Irish fella's :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭GirlInterrupted

Wether or not you find Irish men handsome is dependant on what you personally find attractive.

I generally don't care if a guy is bald, short, hairy-backed or mono-browed as long as he's reasonably articulate and most of all, has a sense of humour. Those two things can make the most ordinary, average guy very, very handsome indeed.

I would have believed you but for the monobrow remark.

You lie!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

Very few Irish men are what you would call 'Lacoste model' good looking. Their dress sense has improved immeasurably in the last 10 years or so (thanks to Celtic Tiger and Ryanair bringing some competition in by way of foreigners) and this does make them more appealing..

I have had long term relationships with 2 foreign nationalities and while the differences are instersting, I now really enjoy the relationship I have with my Irish man - its all there - sense of humour, kindness etc etc and Irish men are great company in general.... It makes up for any shortfall in looks.

SS

PS - the fella who treats his Irish Mammy well will most likely treat you well too...

cson wrote: »
    I would have believed you but for the monobrow remark.

You lie!

They are very, very easily cured!

They are very, very easily cured!

Dya think? :D

http://media.ebaumsworld.com/picture/dirtysac72/unibrow.png

That guy has a range of problems I couldn't begin to address....:D

It's not you, is it?

Damn you're not blind are you?

My fragile self esteem takes yet another blow. :(

• Advertisement

Damn you're not blind are you?

My fragile self esteem takes yet another blow. :(

It shouldn't. Its a big improvement on how you used to look..

.http://www.grimmemennesker.dk/ugly-people-516.htm

Keep up the good work :D

Advertisement