Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish placenames database

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Tannylan

Thanks Victor I have been on the look-out for a site like that for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I've seen that one before ... the site that very helpfully (not!) arranges the drop-down list of counties in alphabetic order of their Irish names, even when you select English as the language to use :) Far from complete too .. only 17 mountain names in all of Wicklow? I think not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Fiontar

Alun wrote: »
    I've seen that one before ... the site that very helpfully (not!) arranges the drop-down list of counties in alphabetic order of their Irish names, even when you select English as the language to use :) Far from complete too .. only 17 mountain names in all of Wicklow? I think not.

We've now fixed that bug with the alphabetic order of the drop-down list of Counties.

As for "far from complete", that's the job of the Placenames Branch rather than Fiontar. Unfortunately there are a lot of placenames for them to research and only a small team to do it.

100,000+ isn't a bad start though, is it?

Any other feedback or suggestions are welcome!

Fiontar

Logainm.ie - Placenames Database of Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 78,375 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I noticed that the site uses "Seabury" for both the English and Irish for the Seabury area of Malahide, but Dublin Bus use "Muiríoch".

I suspect the origin is a purely commercial derivative of the neighbouring "Seatown" townland between it and Swords.

Advertisement