Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Changing Elective

• 05-10-2008 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭

Anyone know if i can change can now for example or will I have to wait until the end of the semester (i'm a 1st year) after the deadline passed?

Took an elective that i hate and will no doubt fail the Christmas test! Does it really matter if I do fail?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

You can no longer change your elective for this semester. If you want to change your choice for next semester, you'll have an opportunity starting in November, but for this semester you're stuck I'm afraid.

As regards failing, you need 60 credits to pass a stage in your degree. So if you fail, you'll lose 5 of those credits, which you'll have to make up somehow. You can do this, AFAIK, by repeating the module next year, by choosing a different module to do instead next year, or by taking 2 electives next semester. All of these options will require you to pay a fee for the extra module, and how much that is will depend on which option you take. See here.

Your best bet is to work your ass off even though you hate it and you should at least be able to pass by compensation. I assume it's a first year elective that you took and not something way out of your depth from stage 4 or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

Breezer wrote: »
    You can no longer change your elective for this semester. If you want to change your choice for next semester, you'll have an opportunity starting in November, but for this semester you're stuck I'm afraid.

As regards failing, you need 60 credits to pass a stage in your degree. So if you fail, you'll lose 5 of those credits, which you'll have to make up somehow. You can do this, AFAIK, by repeating the module next year, by choosing a different module to do instead next year, or by taking 2 electives next semester. All of these options will require you to pay a fee for the extra module, and how much that is will depend on which option you take. See here.

Your best bet is to work your ass off even though you hate it and you should at least be able to pass by compensation. I assume it's a first year elective that you took and not something way out of your depth from stage 4 or something?

Yeah it's a 1st year elective. It's biologicaly based, I never did Biology and dropped all Sciences after 3rd year. Was told it wasn't too bad, and hoped it was more sports based but alas...:(

So if i fail this, I have to re-take it?

Yes, or because it's not a core module for your course you can substitute it for something else, but that would cost more. Seriously though, try do a little bit of work on it and pass rather than giving up a few weeks in and screwing yourself up for next year as well.

Your best bet is to get whatever book they recommend out of the library and learn off the main points of the lecture notes, referring to the book when you don't understand something and need a better explanation. Don't worry about learning the extra detail as long as you have a basic grasp of what's going on. You won't get first class honours by doing this but you should be able to manage at least 35% which is all you need to pass by compensation.

Oh and if there isn't any particular recommended book, Biology by Campbell and Reece is a great general overview of the subject. I never did Leaving Cert. biology and it was a lifesaver for me in first year. It's huge, but just pick what you need out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

Breezer wrote: »
    Yes, or because it's not a core module for your course you can substitute it for something else, but that would cost more. Seriously though, try do a little bit of work on it and pass rather than giving up a few weeks in and screwing yourself up for next year as well.

Your best bet is to get whatever book they recommend out of the library and learn off the main points of the lecture notes, referring to the book when you don't understand something and need a better explanation. Don't worry about learning the extra detail as long as you have a basic grasp of what's going on. You won't get first class honours by doing this but you should be able to manage at least 35% which is all you need to pass by compensation.

Oh and if there isn't any particular recommended book, Biology by Campbell and Reece is a great general overview of the subject. I never did Leaving Cert. biology and it was a lifesaver for me in first year. It's huge, but just pick what you need out of it.

Cheers for the help buddy. I'm doing Art's, is there no way I could just take another 5 credits in one of my subjects instead of re-taking this?

Yes, you can substitute a failed module for another one provided it's not a core module, but this is subject to a higher fee. If you want to know the ins and outs of it as regards Arts then you should check with your programme office, they'll be able to tell you more than I can.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭peachystarr

If its a first year module you should be able to pass it with a bit of work. Most level 1's are pretty basic even if you havent done it before, I wouldnt worry too much about it. Go to the lectures and get a leaving cert revision biology book. Make some friends in the class, they could be very helpful. Remember you only need 35%.It will make life much easier to just pass it first time round.

Advertisement