Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need 4870x2 gcard

Options
  • 06-10-2008 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭

Ive a Dell XPS 420 and want to upgrade from the 8800GT.
    I was thinking of getting a 4870x2. First of all would this card even fit in a xps 420, as there a huge card. Also will i need a new psu cos of the 6pin + 8pin connector.

Does anywhere even sell them in Ireland? i have no Credit Card so i can only pay with cash.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

If you try and buy one of these in ireland with just cash be ready to be ripped off. Plus good luck in finding them in your local shop.

Google will tell you the length of these cards.

Also im sure i saw that they can burn around 370 to 440watt when on full load "thats just for running the card". Once again google will tell you this...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

jackoire wrote: »
    Ive a Dell XPS 420 and want to upgrade from the 8800GT.
    I was thinking of getting a 4870x2. First of all would this card even fit in a xps 420, as there a huge card. Also will i need a new psu cos of the 6pin + 8pin connector.

Does anywhere even sell them in Ireland? i have no Credit Card so i can only pay with cash.

http://elara.ie/products/graphicse.asp?2P2ID=302&ECatID2=6476017805&Desc2=ATI+Radeon+HD+4870+X2

Elara will sell you one starting @ €475 (they take laser)

Peats will sell you one for €460

on komplett.ie they start @ €425 + shipping of a tenner or there abouts: you will be paying at least €25 over the odds to go bricks and mortar.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭jackoire

Ok i got my card at peats this morning for 460 euros (Last in stock).
    I cant wait to test it 2morro, i cant test it until i get my 2 new HDD's from Dell 2morro. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭jetski

dont forget to check dabs.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭stephenmarr

thinking of this card for my xps 710 can you post or pm me with what psu you got and what cables you needed please.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Silenceisbliss

hmmm, I found them here on the shelf in Germany for €435

....hmmm....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

So jackoire did it work with your dell ?

BadCharlie wrote: »
    So jackoire did it work with your dell ?

I had 2 get a new psu, I got a Tagen 800watt psu. :D
    You want a good psu at least a 700watt, Good brand onless u want u psu to pop.
    All i needed was a 8pin to 6pin (male) connecter. This was supplyed with my gfx card.
    So u will need a psu with 2x 8pin + 1x 6pin OR 1x 8pin + 2x 6pin.

The GFX card is a tight fit becasue ive the plastic cover over the heatsink of the CPU.
    Lucky it just fit, i taught i might have to cut the plastic that was in the way.

my psu is a 750w and its an sli board so there should be plenty of room.
    whats it like in games at big res ie 1920x1200

my psu is a 750w and its an sli board so there should be plenty of room.
    whats it like in games at big res ie 1920x1200

I am downloading the beta drivers, 1st test didnt go so well, tryed connect to a cod4 server and i got an instant crash and restart so ill let u know when i get to test it. :mad: Seems like it needs some configing

manufacturer for my cards Gainward (thats all i could get without ordering online).

Get the sapphire and heres a link of it against the gtx280 " max settings.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTR3qXk83q0

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rU5GkRsucQY

• Advertisement

cheers for the info keep the posts coming

Ok ive tried the drivers from the cd and and latest drivers, its a no go in dell systems. If u want this card then bin ur Dell, lucky i ordered a new mobo and case so i could OC. I cant run any game just crashes and i have to manually reset the comp when any graphical power is needed. Im guess its the mobo or the bios as i doubt the cards f**ked otherwise it wouldnt work at all or id see graphical evidance.

Dell 600/720 owners will probley need to bin there mobo and case also if they wanna upgrade to the 4870x2.

No more dell for me. :D

Advertisement