Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

freewill and destiny

• 06-10-2008 12:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭

No one ever likes to be told what to do. They believe they have the choice or free-will to make decisions that will affect the outcome of their day and life. But do we actually have a choice in the matter? Are we just creatures of destiny? Is every action mapped out? In a radical view, I strongly believe in destiny and completely disregard free-will, which is an acceptable statement to make. There are those who believe in both, but that is an apparent contradiction but let’s leave those people to the side.
    As this is an opinion piece, I would hope you do not see me as an extreme writer, the same way I do not see you, the reader as that. I have put hours of thought into something that can and probably never will be proven. So why, you ask have I thought so much about this . Well I can tell you that just like every writer, we just want to spread our word, almost like preachers but without the scare tactics that if you don’t believe you will be damned to hell for all eternity.
    Destiny is an appealing concept to some and terrifying to others. The ones who are frightened of this are so because they think that no matter what one does all actions will result in the event that has been “mapped” out. Yes that is quite scary. And then you have most of the free world thinking they have a choice. Should I buy my new car today? Will I go to work tomorrow? Will we bailout the economy with €400bn? It seems fair to say they have this choice. But do they? Has every infinitely small thought process been planned? If so then where is the random life we have grown up to accept?
    I once spoke to a colleague of mine about this idea and they were very quick on trying to find a flaw in my “beautiful plan”. They proposed the following, “ For free will and destiny to apply one must have a consciousness, so if you take the lottery for instance, how can that not be random, identical balls have no consciousness and therefore cannot be pushed into making a choice of what order to roll out of the machine”, This is an acceptable argument but, I never proposed the idea of consciousness and free-will/destiny. What I propose is that a mysterious force acts upon us making us choose the destined path. For example, I may choose to walk up the wall tonight but a force governing the entire planet is preventing that action. That force is gravity, once a radical idea, now an accepted fact of life. So what is so barmy to say there is another force, an invisible one, just like our friend gravity making the orders. One cannot explain this force because it is immeasurable.
    If physicists like myself can suggest we live in a 12 dimension universe without proof, then there should not be a problem with my proposal.
    So who or what plans it all? I really don’t know nor will I ever the same as we believe or disbelieve in a God of some sorts, that won’t be proven/disproven. And proofs are what make things acceptable in society.

Every destined action or event will lead you to another action or event. This can bring an array of emotions, hopefully happiness. But the governing force may not know what the differences between the emotions, so we inevitably experience more emotions of one sort than another, in the sense that our destined paths bring upon these emotions with no regard for the feelings one may feel.
    This article is not intended to change anyone’s idea on our existence. It comes down to belief and what is right and wrong. Because so few may not believe in free- will, they may be considered extreme or ridiculuous, but I should not be judged on what I believe in, but I also believe that I am destined to be judged by others and to be the one that thinks outside the box. Accepting others is a crucial part of society and I hope that a small example like this will make one think that everyone can have extreme beliefs but who are we to say anything offensive.
    I have a feeling that when people read this they will complain about what I am hoping for. But don’t bother as I will clean that up for you know. I was destined to write this letter, those that change were destined to change for there life to follow the map and those that don’t change have the choice of free-will already waiting there to be left out.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Joe1919

"I conclude, therefore that, fortune being changeful and mankind steadfast in their ways, so long as the two are in agreement men are successful, but unsuccessful when they fall out. For my part I consider that it is better to be adventurous than cautious, because fortune is a woman, and if you wish to keep her under it is necessary to beat and ill-use her; and it is seen that she allows herself to be mastered by the adventurous rather than by those who go to work more coldly. She is, therefore, always, woman-like, a lover of young men, because they are less cautious, more violent, and with more audacity command her."

I like Machiavelli view,according to which, Fate or Fortune (events that are
    beyond human control) affects the major portion of life and Free Will (man’s decisions, actions, etc.), controls the rest.
    He states that princes can prepare themselves for the vagaries of Fortune by having the willingness to change their way squickly to accommodate whatever Fortune brings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭TX123

fate and fortune may be presdestined, a perception of free will may have been valid, but that is down to one perceiving its free will it does not mean free will has been used

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Forgive my ignorance of physics, but isn't there mathematical proof to suspect 12 dimensions....is there a mathematical proof for destiny?

Other than that, I would think that people have free will, but there are constraints on how one thinks due to more uniform global cultures and personality traits. This can give the illusion of destiny.

Maybe it does exist but destiny is very conjectural atm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭TX123

the 12 dimension is based on string theory which has not yet been proven its a postulate that is valid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

String Theory could very easily be nonsense, but it is based in logic. Whereas destiny could well be based in the human need to make narrative out of life, to make it seem more understandable, less alien.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement