Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SE Asia route (Xmas & New years suggestions)

• 06-10-2008 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm Flying from Hong Kong to Ha Noi at the start of December, and then out of Singapore Roughly 3 months later.

Can anyone suggest the best route to take to cover everything. We were thinking maybe down the coast of Vietnam and then up through Cambodia and keeping heading north to Laos then across to northern Thailand then straight down obviously bouncing to the places we want to see on the way?

Where to spend Christmas and New Years is a big question too, can anyone make any recommendations? The obvious answer is the full moon/new years party, but the problem isheading there from Ha Noi.
    Its three lads on this trip so the suggestion of a romantic Christmas is out of the question:), at the same time a sleazy one in the likes of Bangkok wouldn't suit us either.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Cianh wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm Flying from Hong Kong to Ha Noi at the start of December, and then out of Singapore Roughly 3 months later.

Can anyone suggest the best route to take to cover everything. We were thinking maybe down the coast of Vietnam and then up through Cambodia and keeping heading north to Laos then across to northern Thailand then straight down obviously bouncing to the places we want to see on the way?

Where to spend Christmas and New Years is a big question too, can anyone make any recommendations? The obvious answer is the full moon/new years party, but the problem isheading there from Ha Noi.
    Its three lads on this trip so the suggestion of a romantic Christmas is out of the question:), at the same time a sleazy one in the likes of Bangkok wouldn't suit us either.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
    The route you suggested yourself would be the handiest.

Trying to make it to the Xmas full moon is pointless. 1 month to do Vietnam/Cambodia/Laos/North Thailand and then 2 to do South Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore. That wouldn't make much sense.

Also, a full moon party can be just as sleazy as your average sleazy night in Bangkok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Thats mad were planning on doing pretty much the exact same route at the same time. Who do you have your flights from Hong Kong to Hanoi booked with? We didn't get ours as part of our RTW ticket so we looked into it ourselves and the cheapest flight was 300euro with Hong Kong Air. To fly from Macau/Hong Kong to Bangkok is only 60euros though!

Anyway from what I've read and heard I wouldn't recommend the full moon party for New Years/xmas. In fact according to this the southern Thailand area is not a great place to be then.
    I think if we can't find cheap flights to Hanoi were planning on flying to Bangkok for a few days then head up north to Chang Mai and across to Laos for a hopefully relaxing xmas and new years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Spider_Baby

I spent Christmas in Hanoi before and would really, really recommend it.
    The hostel I stayed in was amazing, the Aussie owners put on a big Xmas meal on the roof top bar for everyone staying there. There were about 50 people for Xmas dinner and beers on the roof, from all over the world, and then the owners took us on a pub crawl around town :)

Christmas eve is crazy in Hanoi. People head to the main church (around the corner from the hostel) at about 3pm to get a seat for midnight mass!
    The streets are thronged in the evening and they broadcast midnight mass on giant screens outside the church.
    Really really great Christmas-y atmosphere.

If you want any more info just holler :)

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Cianh

Thanks for the replies. I'd reckon we'll be somewhere in Vietnam for xmas anyway, Prob suss out Ha Noi and take it from there, wherever theres a decent crowd I suppose. Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Cianh

Thats mad were planning on doing pretty much the exact same route at the same time. Who do you have your flights from Hong Kong to Hanoi booked with? We didn't get ours as part of our RTW ticket so we looked into it ourselves and the cheapest flight was 300euro with Hong Kong Air. To fly from Macau/Hong Kong to Bangkok is only 60euros though!

We didn't get the Hong Kong to Hanoi flight as part of the RTW ticket either they booked it seperately for us, it cost €200 each don't know what airline it is. The sheet I have only has abbreviations on it, its VN... Vietnam Airlines?

Just did a search and vietnam air came up so that must be them.

You travelling China? Flying to Beijing at the start of Nov, can't wait!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭Jimmy81

I think if we can't find cheap flights to Hanoi were planning on flying to Bangkok for a few days then head up north to Chang Mai and across to Laos for a hopefully relaxing xmas and new years

We were trying to get cheap flights from Hong Kong to Hanoi but as mentioned, the cheapest we could find were over €300. So instead we will be doing more or less exactly what u mentioned there. Fly from Hong Kong to Bangkok, up to Chang Mai for a few days then across into Laos for Christmas and New Years. Will probably fly from Chang Mai to Laos, heard way to many horror storues about getting the boat across.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I dunno I've read a few blogs and the likes which make the slowboat from Huay Xai to Luang Prabang sound nice? I suppose flying would save 4 or so days. Might just wait till were in Chiang Mai and decide then. Don't want to end up flying everywhere, kinda seems like cheating ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭Jimmy81

I know what u are saying re cheating, but we worked it out as a false economy.
    the fligths from chang mai are about €140, but it only takes an hour or so. Id prefer to spend my time and money in Laos rather than watching my back on the slow boat (which just does not sound enjoyable to me) or risking my life on the speedboats! And u will be spending nearly as much on food etc on the boat. We will make up our minds when we get there, but deffo leaning towards flying.
    Have u any info on where in Laos would be good for Christmas/New Years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

The slow boat to Luang Prabang is an experience I wouldn't skip tbh.

As for somewhere in Laos for Christmas, I'd presume Vang Vien would be the best place in terms of having plenty of backpackers looking to celebrate Xmas too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Slow boat was certainly an experience but imo there's little glory in spending half your time on boats and buses so if you can afford to fly then you'll be buying yourself lots of extra days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Spider_Baby

Slow boat was certainly an experience but imo there's little glory in spending half your time on boats and buses so if you can afford to fly then you'll be buying yourself lots of extra days.

I agree with Breadmonkey.
    I took the slow boat on my first trip around SE Asia about 4 years ago.
    I wouldn't choose it again though. I'd rather just fly and get there quicker.

Advertisement