Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Required subjects for 3rd level courses

Options
  • 06-10-2008 2:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭

Can someone clear this up for me.. kinda sick of this ****e by now.. cant do engineering because i dont have higher maths.. cant do biotechnology because i dont have laboratory science subject... is there ways around this? pretty aggravating.. just started repeating few weeks ago, need to know now if i'll have to take up extra subject :<

is not having the 'required subject' for particular courses the end or are there alternate routes or is it even hugely important?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

If you don't have the required subject you can either...

1) Not do that course.
    or
    2) Take up the subject.

They won't even look at your points if you don't have the required subject (also called matriculation).
    I had a friend get 7 A1s and have to repeat because she didn't have Chemistry. Just the way it is...

There are alternative routes to college, ie via Senior College etc. (you can do a one year course in some of them in biology for example, afaik), but if you want to get into the course via the CAO, and not as a mature student (over 23), you must have the required subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

DAEDULUS wrote: »
    Can someone clear this up for me.. kinda sick of this ****e by now.. cant do engineering because i dont have higher maths.. cant do biotechnology because i dont have laboratory science subject... is there ways around this? pretty aggravating.. just started repeating few weeks ago, need to know now if i'll have to take up extra subject :<

is not having the 'required subject' for particular courses the end or are there alternate routes or is it even hugely important?

Did you know what you wanted to do before repeating? If you'd wanted to do biotechnology or engineerig at the beginning of the year I assume you'd have picke a lab science and HL maths. If you're unsure what you want to do, start researching NOW. That way if you feel like you eally want to do a course but you don't have the matriculation subjects you can take them up as early as possible.

As a general guideline it's a good idea to do honours maths (only necessary for some courses), a science (usually required for all 3d level science subjects...sometimes two are require) and a language other than Irish (all NUIs besides Trinity require this for all courses).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

or you could just do your degree through an IT. Most requirements for ITs are 5 passes in the LC including English or Irish and Maths. Either do the whole degree through an IT or transfer at a later stage to a university

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

If you want to do engineering, I think in NUIG you can do pass maths and then do an entrance exam to get in even though you need honours.

Advertisement